New Vegan. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-15-2014, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been vegetarian  for many years now, so now I  am in the process of going vegan. What I want to know if there anyone else here that is vegan that is on a budget. I mean is it possible, Ive had  some many people to try and tell me, that its not possible to be a vegan and on a budget, because of getting the proper nutrition . They think its nuts that I am giving up eggs and cheese and dairy. Anyway What would you say to this?

hijab.gif  Super Muslimah  Mom to   Two amazing boys fencing.gif Cj(born March 1997) Adam ( born April 2005)  and Princess Aliyyah my little  high strung  over active girl   . hippie.gif March 2007 .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 02-17-2014, 08:41 PM

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
You could post or look around here. We are talking about being on a budget and some of the mamas are vegan.
Best
http://www.mothering.com/community/t/1395912/whats-your-monthly-food-budget
#3 of 6 Old 02-18-2014, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

It's great that you're going vegan!  I am vegan and on a budget.  Buying dried beans, rice and pasta in bulk really helps.  Tofu is not very expensive either.  And peanut butter as long as allergies aren't an issue. 

Working mom and grad student with a weird husband, a few cats, and a nifty kid!   Anton, born 8/9/11 jog.gif

#4 of 6 Old 02-19-2014, 11:53 AM

I guess it depends on how tight your budget is. It's hard to afford fruits and vegetables on a deeply restricted budget, but that's a problem for omnivores, too. I think that if you avoid pricey substitute foods, and focus on the cheaper whole foods, it's totally doable. Eat with the seasons - don't buy fresh tomatoes in February. Eat beans, split peas and lentils, whole grain pastas, rice, and oatmeal.
#5 of 6 Old 02-19-2014, 07:51 PM

Buy produce that is in season, buy grains and beans in the bulk section. Do your best to keep prepackaged, processed items to a minimum.

Jennifer, first time Mom, working full time, married to Paul. Katherine "Kate" Mary Lou was born 8.10.10.
#6 of 6 Old 05-11-2014, 03:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I am also newly trying to make my diet more plant-based and have for the most part stopped eating eggs and dairy. We also have a pretty tight food budget and I find it so frustrating that we live in such an ass-backwards world where those of us trying to eat a whole-foods based diet (whether vegetarian/vegan or not) get punished by having to pay more and those who eat mostly processed unhealthy food pay the least. Anyway, I live in the EU but in America you can join a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) program and get local produce for less than in the supermarkets. You could also join or start a food co-op. Someone in the US also told me that she found a grocery delivery service that offered better prices on healthy and whole foods than either the health-food store or regular grocery stores. And I second the idea to bring your own containers and buy in bulk, it's always cheaper. I hope more folks reply here because I too am looking for tips on how to save on a whole-foods and vegan diet. Best of luck to us all!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe

Tags
Vegan

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page