Higher-fat vegan soups? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-21-2014, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My toddler loves soups. In fact, when asked what she'd like to eat, she often says, "onion," meaning any soup that contains her favorite vegetable: soft, boiled onion. Unfortunately, most soups are low in fat and calories.

Does anyone have any recioes for non-spicy, fattening vegan soups? I like the idea of coconut or peanut soup, but those recipes usually call for a lot of spice and I don't know if they would taste good without it. Also, my daughter is a big opponent of sweet potatoes, which are, for some reason, so often paired with coconut in soups. Most other vegetables are okay.
#2 of 6 Old 05-21-2014, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Avocado is the first veggie that came to mind. It would be creamy and yummy.

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#3 of 6 Old 05-21-2014, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

For me, it would be yummy! DD is not a fan. I didn't think to mention that because I didn't think of it being in a soup. With enough other ingredients, I might get by with it.
#4 of 6 Old 05-21-2014, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
I've used the coconut milk in regular cream-based soup recipes with good results. I also bet you could make a lot of the other coconut milk type soups in a non spicy version and it would still be good. I had a nice recipe for one with red lentils back in the day.
#5 of 6 Old 05-22-2014, 12:28 PM

Agree with coconut milk. A butternut squash soup with coconut milk is delicious. Another option is making a cashew cream based soup which works well with savory soups like cream of mushroom, cream of tomato etc. A quick search for vegan cashew soup gives lots of results. And be generous with oil if sauteeing anything first.
#6 of 6 Old 06-17-2014, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
I don't know how fattening it is, but you could do a potato and corn soup. If you want creamy texture, purée some of it (true for any soup). You could definitely season with onions (and any other spice). You can also add rice to about any soup. Black bean and rice is good. Sometimes I mix, black beans, rice, salsa, refried beans to make a dip/soup. You can add tomato or veggie juice to thin it out. What about a corn chowder type of thing? I have made what I call "harvest stew" which is carrot juice, rice, mixed veggies, potatoes. It is a very rich soup.
Not that it is fattening, but you could do a broccoli soup. Soup opportunities are endless!

Tags
Vegan

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page