Teaching Veganism and Acceptance... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-23-2014, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi,
I am raising my baby vegan (with the exception of free-range eggs). I would like to teach her about the reality of why I choose to be vegan and why it is important. There are a couple of books (v is for vegan, is one I think) written for kids but I haven't read them yet. I am concerned about how to go about teaching this without it causing problems in my home. My wife and stepdaughters eat meat. I wish they wouldn't, but I do my best not to judge. Other than leading by example, do any of you have suggestions on this? Or have you read any kids books about Veganism/vegetarianism, and do they teach tolerance and non-judgement?

I've been with DW , DD1(16), & DD2(12) since '09. Naturally birthed DD3 6/21/13. . Family of five females! LOVE makes a family.
M/C 2/10 ~Ahti Pan, forever in my heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2014, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Thanks for the recommendation of V is for Vegan, I hadn't heard of it before and seems better for young kids. There is this one which I haven't seen but based on some reviews and the age given by the author (6+) it is definitely meant for older kids and contains more dark truths in it. My son is 4 and although he's well aware meat is animals, I don't think his brain fully comprehends what that actually means. I have no idea when he'll be ready but at some point I intend to inform him about factory farming and that being the main reason I don't eat meat. But that can be traumatizing, even for me as an adult just to think about, so it's worth taking much care and attention what we say and how and when. I find it all confusing actually. My husband is a meat eater so I fully sympathize with your situation. It makes this all much more complicated. Whereas when both parents are veg your kid just grows up knowing "we don't eat meat"....but when one parent does, well, it's not that simple. It was not an issue until our son was around 2 1/2 and started wanting to eat meat when other people were. It hurts me to see my son eating meat (which he only does when his dad eats meat at home or when we eat out, which is not very often) and all I can do is hope I am a good role model and some day he may choose to be vegetarian himself. In any case even if you raise your child vegan, they will eventually be making their own food choices so every veg parent will deal with that sooner or later. But I fully feel your pain and in our home it has caused a few ruffled feathers (no pun intended, ha!). I hope some others respond with good ideas cause it really is a very hard situation to navigate. Best of luck to both of us!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe

Tags
Vegetarian , Vegan
User Tag List