Veggie Burger Recipe Thread?!?! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 06-18-2014, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Veggie Burger Recipe Thread?!?!

Hey mamas!! I have a picky 10 yr old Several months ago, I picked up a box of Boca burgers for a quick last minute dinner (all the store had) and my 10 yo has since decided that those are the ONLY veggie burgers he likes. I rely on burgers at least once/week for dinner and need to find a better alternative, preferably homemade burger for our normal rotation. He likes the smooth texture (no chunks/veggie chunks, seeds, etc.)

Anyone have a good, basic veggie burger recipe??

TIA!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
  homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,3 spirit babies

Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 06-18-2014, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsun View Post
Hey mamas!! I have a picky 10 yr old Several months ago, I picked up a box of Boca burgers for a quick last minute dinner (all the store had) and my 10 yo has since decided that those are the ONLY veggie burgers he likes. I rely on burgers at least once/week for dinner and need to find a better alternative, preferably homemade burger for our normal rotation. He likes the smooth texture (no chunks/veggie chunks, seeds, etc.)

TIA!!!
I don't have the recipes on me (packing for a move and my cookbooks are packed) but the black bean burger from Veganomicon is fantastic. Also, Mark Bitman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian has a whole section on veggie burgers; my favorite is the autumn seasonal burger, with white beans, kale, and sweet potato, but there are at least a dozen other variations!
#3 of 11 Old 06-19-2014, 07:04 AM

I'm in a similar boat; my DD only loves the Chickn' Patty from Morningstar and has yet to like any of my home made burgers!
I keep on trying (and find many awesome recipes for myself lol) but so far no luck with her...

Have you seen this: http://www.onegreenplanet.org/tag/vegan-burger-recipes/

I love this site for their many vegan recipes!

~*Val*~

Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x
and wife to my best friend.
#4 of 11 Old 06-22-2014, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
I'm going to link some recipes here that I haven't tried, but that I think might be good for texture.

I have made sweet potato burgers before, and they were really homogenous, texturally speaking, but they were also very wet, so I had to bake them in an oven for a long time, almost like dehydrating. But I figure there must be some good recipes out there.

These two look very similar, but one looks smoother to me: http://whatsgabycooking.com/sweet-po.../#.U6e-cV5H3lI

http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2012/...gers-with.html

Seitan burgers: http://veganbellyful.com/2013/06/02/...eitan-burgers/
#5 of 11 Old 06-25-2014, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Have any of you tried just using a portabella mushroom cap instead of burger? You can marinate them and cook them and they are DELISH! I used to eat a lot of bocca burgers as well, but I honestly like the portabella WAY better. Obviously it has a nice meaty texture and can have amazing flavor! I don't know the exact ratios off hand, but I use, garlic, onion, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper and a tiny splash of water. I hate waiting on marinating, so I just put it all in a foil aluminum pouch with the mushroom and seal it up and throw it on the grill (or oven). Yum yum yum
If they can get over the idea of eating a giant piece of fungus ;P, then they will probably like it!
#6 of 11 Old 08-06-2014, 10:02 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
This has chunks, but it the best homemade veggie burger I've ever had. I add some egg from our chickens to help it hold together better. It's main ingredient is beets. My very picky 8 year old likes them.

http://www.theppk.com/2012/02/quarte...r-beet-burger/

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, and cane sugar free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it. See me at
#7 of 11 Old 08-07-2014, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Great idea for a thread!

These are fabulous, and if you puree everything instead of leaving chunks, they could be smooth:
http://mysisterspantry.wordpress.com...veggie-burger/
The flavor is more like ground beef than any other homemade vegan food I've ever had.

My family really likes these:
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/c...walnut-burgers
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/grilled-bean-burgers
http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/20...hickpea-wraps/

Mama to a boy EnviroKid
11 years old and a girl EnviroBaby
1 year old!
I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more.
#8 of 11 Old 08-21-2014, 11:02 PM

Nice thread! Many useful links and information is here.Good for cooking lovers like me. I often search on the internet for different kind of recipes. And that's sufficient for me. You must try this.

#9 of 11 Old 12-05-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainsun View Post

TIA!!!
I swear by "The Magical Loaf Studio" located at http://www.veganlunchbox.com/loaf_studio.html. I usually use a combo that involves lentils, oatmeal, and walnuts. Just follow the instructions on the page by checking the boxes of which ingredients you have. I have made the recipie as a loaf, in individual muffin cups, and as burgers. Tasty!

Jennifer, first time Mom, working full time, married to Paul. Katherine "Kate" Mary Lou was born 8.10.10.
#10 of 11 Old 12-05-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:

TIA!!!
I swear by "The Magical Loaf Studio" located at http://www.veganlunchbox.com/loaf_studio.html. I usually use a combo that involves lentils, oatmeal, and walnuts. Just follow the instructions on the page by checking the boxes of which ingredients you have. I have made the recipie as a loaf, in individual muffin cups, and as burgers. Tasty!

Jennifer, first time Mom, working full time, married to Paul. Katherine "Kate" Mary Lou was born 8.10.10.
#11 of 11 Old 03-03-2016, 08:56 AM

My family love my chickpeas burgers. I also love quinoa burgers.

Just search for "quinoa vegan burger" on pinterest.com and you'll have a handful of mouth-melting ideas.

Let love guide you!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page