Organic Vegan eating on a budget - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-15-2014, 01:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question Organic Vegan eating on a budget

So I'm wanting to start eating more of an organic & vegan diet. I've been on/off vegan for about two years now, but I've increasingly become more fond of buying organic fruits & veges. I found a great organic market not far from our house, and I'm planning on going there every fortnight to get what we need!

What are some good tips/meal ideas for eating both vegan & organic food on a budget? Our budget is about $100-$150 a week, but I get paid fortnightly and will be shopping fortnightly (except for top-ups every week if necessary).

I'll be mostly feeding myself & my 4 year old (who loves fruit & veges but can also be a picky eater...) but I'd like to have a bit extra on the odd occasion someone comes over and I need to feed them.

Thank you!

Charlotte Savannah Rose born July 2010

Annabelle Maree born March 2014

Organic vegan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2014, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I feed my family of 4 on $700 a month. I cannot afford much organic on that budget. I buy as much as I can from amazon's "subscribe and save" and costco. I shop at Trader Joe's, Sprouts, and Whole Foods (only a few items there as they are so expensive.) If you live somewhere with inexpensive local organic farms, that would be a good idea. Can you start your own garden? I know you said vegan, but if you had your own chickens would you eat their eggs? (That's what we do.) I grow micro-greens for our hens which saves money and I think we get more eggs. I also give them organic corn and soy free commercial feed that I buy via a local co-op.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

Old 08-09-2014, 05:19 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Look into CSA (community supported agriculture) Here is a link with background info if you've never heard of it: http://www.localharvest.org/csa/
I see you're in Australia, so I googled CSA Australia, and there are some there too, here are the first couple links: http://milkwood.net/2013/01/01/new-m...cultures-csas/
and
http://www.organicfooddirectory.com....-food-systems/
but you can find way more relevant info by googling your local area. It looks like they also have organic box delivery systems in Australia, and those can save over buying at the supermarket. Also: gardening!
I also struggle with this and honestly still haven't figured out a way to be able to afford eating as much organic as I'd like (which would be 100%, lol), so we follow the dirty dozen and clean fifteen lists: http://lifeyourway.net/the-2013-dirt...e-cheat-sheet/
Best of luck!

Mama since 2010
Multicultural living in Europe
Old 09-07-2014, 04:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We do a lot of rice from Costco just super cheap you can get a bunch of cornmeal froM Amazon Prime and try to get the bananas lot of bananas eating bananas all day try to get those it at Costco in a case or on sale when they're brown at the health food store. Door to door organics bitty for more fruit variety. B as g s of frozen berries from cistco. Oatmeal sub n save.

User Tag List