Best travel foods for visiting "everything in alfredo sauce" beloved extended fam - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-28-2014, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Best travel foods for visiting "everything in alfredo sauce" beloved extended fam

'
Seriously, travel sustenance for the long haul..

Every Labor Day weekend we spend it at a huge county fair with my fiance's family.. His Irish Polish, meat lovin' clan. I adore them, but I don't eat their food. I'm talking, they got a tub of mayo soaked potato salad and sour creamy cole slaw "for you, because you like vegetables". To them, those were "salads". I wish I was kidding...

The fair sells produce, but not much that is edible on the go {I suppose I could nosh a tomato or try to bite into the prize winning butternut...}, but there is mostly midway food, very hardcore junk. Truthfully and ironically, I come away from it STARVING. Oh did I mention we all go out to breakfast at the local greasy spoon in the morning? Pass the nitroglycerine.

I am thinking a batch of quinoa with beans and maybe tempeh, and a couple of veggie dogs or burgers, and my old standby, rice cakes and almond butter, and a quart of soymilk. Prob should bring some apples and greens as well. They are used to me and not offended when I bring my own stuff.. I always offer to share, but they don't bite

Other travel food ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2014, 04:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
lol sounds like my family....they try to get me food, I will eat....but most of the time they fail...lol. I always feel bad when I don't eat it. I try to tell them not to worry about me, I will take care of myself...but it never fails that they get something that is non-vegetarian friendly =S

Last weekend, a older lady invited my family over for dinner. She is the type that cooks a big spread for her guests. She knows I am vegetarian, but she doesn't really understand what vegetarian really means...lol. For the others she made pot roast and mashed potatoes and gravy and green beans and carrots. I told her I would be fine with eating the veggies if they are not cooked with the meat. But she cooked them with the meat...so I didn't. What she made for me was far from vegetarian. She made me homemade alfredo sauce with noodles, veggies and SHRIMP! I don't know why non vegetarians think that chicken and fish are not considered meat! She also made me a tomato salad (which was fine) but it had a big blob of homemade potato salad on top.....which wasn't something I would have chosen. She also made me a baked sweet potato...which was great. I didn't want to be rude....so I just ate around the shrimp and potato salad.......which I normally wouldn't do! I seriously wanted to throw up afterwards and was seriously praying I wouldn't accidently eat a piece of shrimp! But I knew there had to be juices in the sauce and that made me want to hork! For dessert it was ice cream and muffins. Which both of which I wouldn't normally eat, but I did 0~o. So by the time I left I felt so ick and couldn't wait for that stuff to get out of my system! I will say that at least the food wasn't full of preservatives and was homegrown and homemade from scratch. =S

I normally bring my own food or eat beforehand when I know I will be gone a long time. I really don't have any good suggestions at this time. I will think on it =)

User Tag List