Brow rice recipes for kids who don't like brown rice - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 03-20-2015, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Brow rice recipes for kids who don't like brown rice

Someone just gave me 10 lbs of organic brown rice, and the budget is tight right now, so it sure would be good if I could get the kids to eat it! But one won't touch it and the other will only eat a few bites if she's really hungry and there's nothing else.

I've done stir fries, fried rice, curry, baked crunchy, rice pudding, in wraps/burritos, pilaf . . . think maybe they liked the rice pudding, but not enough to eat regularly.

Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-20-2015, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Veggie burgers? Or rice balls?

Have you tried cooking it like pasta in lots of boiling water? Sometimes the texture is softer that way.
#3 of 4 Old 03-20-2015, 02:29 PM

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Personally, I hate brown rice. There, I said it. We too had a huge bag of it in our pantry and I was cringing at having to use it up. But! But!!!! I found a recipe where you can't even taste that it's brown instead of white. I'll post it in the version we made, but of course you can go ahead and fiddle with it...

◾6 Tbsp oil
◾2 c rice
◾2 tsp garlic
◾1 tsp salt
◾1 tsp cumin
◾1 can tomato sauce
◾3.5 cups chicken broth
◾8 Tbsp cilantro (optional)

Heat oil on medium flame. Add rice, stir until lightly browned. Add spices, then sauce and brother. Mix, and turn to to medium high while stirring. Once boiling, lower to low heat and cover pan. Simmer for 20-25 minutes. Add in chopped cilantro at end.
Serves 8.
#4 of 4 Old 03-20-2015, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Giggling. I totally prefer white rice, too.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page