Food suggestions for vegan 12 month old - Mothering Forums
Vegetarian and Vegan > Food suggestions for vegan 12 month old
mellie-bellie's Avatar mellie-bellie 06:06 PM 12-10-2001
My lil guy is really into finger foods lately and I'm stumped as to what to give him. I delayed giving him solids until 7 months, and he's still bf'n a lot. He usually just has breakfast, lunch and dinner, like we do. Things he's had before are: bananas,raisins,carrots, peas, fake cheerios (made from oats), oatmeal, brown rice, and then many flavors of organic baby food. Come meal time it takes forever to think of something to give him. Any suggestions? He's slowly being introduced to grains (spelt and whole wheat), I give him frozen bagels or bread to chew/teethe on. He hasn't been introduced to soy or mock meats yet, I want to hold off a lil longer on that as well. He's had homemade cashew milk and seemed to love it (he drank like 1/4 cup in a matter of minutes!). He drinks about 1/4-1 cup of diluted juice on days when I get around to giving him his sippy cup (75%water, 25% juice, it's very diluted).

Thanks in advance!

Chanley's Avatar Chanley 06:12 PM 12-10-2001
I have the same issues with Aria

Try some nutbutter on the bannas

I will take soem bread and smear it with hummus or nutbutter for her

VEggie barley soup. She loves it. I just put some veggies and veg broth in the crock pot with pearled barley and let it cook

what about cooked sweet potatoes?

She loves diced dried apricots.

another fun thing is those organic teething biscuits from healthy times. vegan and yummy, she goes nuts for them.

beans beans and beans.

I give them to her plain. She loves to pick them up. black and kidney are her favs.

thse are just some ideas

(ohh I mix her rice with a lil mild salsa too, she loves it)

how about those baby foods used as a sauce for things like pasta or the fruit ones are good in oatmeal.

Just some ideas...
TreeLove's Avatar TreeLove 06:27 PM 12-10-2001
avacados
Erin Pavlina's Avatar Erin Pavlina 07:29 PM 12-10-2001
Vegan also. Trying to remember what we did.

Black beans with barbecue sauce.

Baked potato cut into cubes with non-dairy dressing (Creamy Garlic from Follow Your Heart, best)

Hummus and pita

Avocado and pita

sweet potatoes

Broccoli and butternut squash steamed together with some soy sauce and a dash of ginger.

Miso soup with seaweed flecks. (good minerals)

Any and every fruit.

That's all I can think of at the moment.
zealsmom's Avatar zealsmom 07:37 PM 12-10-2001
broccoli pieces - he loves the texture!
beans!
we have a newfound fascination with blueberries. who knew they were so great?
bebe luna's Avatar bebe luna 12:15 AM 12-11-2001
I think yams (or sweet potatoes) are great! You can cut them up into wedges and bake them (home fries) or bake them whole (sweeter)...
Baked apples with raisins
Roasted vegis sprinkled with tamari
Rice cakes (with almond butter or apple butter)
coconut date rolls
Baked plantain or sliced panfried plantain
steamed carrot "sticks"
avocados
oat or rice flour pancakes and apple butter or other fruit
laelsweet's Avatar laelsweet 06:31 AM 12-11-2001
most of the above +
quinoa w/ almond or soy milk and fruit
we buy organic dry cereals, one is millet + rice, then let them soak in some kind of vegan milk til soft enough to eat but still solid enough to pick up
oatmeal with - milk and fruit, or sometimes i use this great local jam made with only fruit + honey
or else molasses
tahini or nut butter with molasses on different breads - have you got manna breads where you are? they're soft sprouted cake-like unleavened, different kinds of grains, organic and without anything but the grain!
steamed broccoli
anything with tomato on it
cashew butter sauce on spelt penne or rotini
beans+rice, any kind but especially black refried beans with corn, tomato, cumin
baked vegetables
we also love tofu baked with tamari and all kinds of different flavours
smoothies with things thrown in
blended soups like apple-squash-ginger, tomato+other veg

i know it is sometimes hard to think of anything
i write it down if we liked it, that helps next time, and i keep some little distractors on hand like rice cakes, raisins, oranges, so she has s omething to eat while i cook.

really fast: frozen organic peas, blueberries, etc.!

good luck
OceanMomma's Avatar OceanMomma 06:25 AM 12-12-2001
Saffron's 11 months old & is vegan. This is further complicated by her having excema which the naturopath said was yeast related so no more dried fruits. She loves dried figs & dried prunes as finger foods. To top all this she only has 2 top & 2 bottom teeth so we're only doing fruits & veges. My only cheat on this is tahini.

What she eats is :

avocados.

avocados, steamed brocolli & karengo. Karengo is a new zealand seaweed similar to dulse. I mash it all up reserving some of the brocolli florets for her to chew on as well.

asparagus spears

hummus - I sprout the chickpeas & either cook them or puree them raw depending on how I feel.

guacamole - avocado, garlic, lemon, brocolli sprouts.

lentil sprouts & pieces of red capsicum.

She was quite into pumpkins but the organic ones are out of season here at the moment.

any type of leafy green - cooked or raw.

any sprout as a finger food.

There's heaps of stuff. I you want, I'll post some recipes out of my vegan baby book later coz Im a bit knackered now & am off to bed.
barjem's Avatar barjem 01:19 PM 12-17-2001
A few of my kids all time favorites were tofu that was soaked in juice and cubed for finger food. Also cheerios type cereal and frozen peas they enjoyed trying to put the peas in the cheerios hole and popping them in there mouth ...good luck!
Up