Can I just vent for a sec? (re: vegetarianism) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-05-2002, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My in-laws came in town this week (not MIL & FIL...extended). They are IDOLIZED and put on this tremendous pedestal. One of them is an RN, who apparently is up there in the ranks of Dr. Spock (LOL!). Everyone in the family acts like she holds the secrets to every medical question around (nevermind the second year med student even more closely related!).

Anyway, they are on the Atkin's diet for high cholesterol (can you say oxymoron!?). Cardiac problems are the LAST reason to go on a high protein diet! I digress...

MIL had the audacity to call DH last night and say that they (the out of towners) were "really worried" about our kids b/c we are raising them vegetarian. And I quote..."Kids really need their meat at that age". And that we should really talk to their pediatrician about it.

She then proceeds to say that kids need B12...DUH...we knew that, that's why we buy fortified Soy Milk!!!! AND the reason our children take a multi-vitamin. WHAT does that have to do with animal flesh?????? GRRRRRR.

You mean to actually tell me my children are a cause of concern...the four year old who says her favorite dinner is broccoli, tofu, and brown rice!!!!!!? NO KIDDING!!! THAT is a concern??? What about the rest of the children in the family scarfing down "chicken" nuggets from McDeath and beef tallow fries??!! THAT'S okay???

I get so sick of the uneducated making judgements on my family's diet!!! THEY are the ones who are so defensive that they constantly bring it up around us..."so, you guys still aren't eating meat, huh?" So, not even this once?" "Man, not even ice cream?" or my favorite..."How do you live without McDonald's" (to which my husband quietly replied to me..."a lot longer")

:sigh:

Some people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 08-05-2002, 05:46 PM

I'm not vegetarian, but those comments are a load of crap!!! Ignore them, your kid sounds fine - and you know he is!
#3 of 3 Old 08-05-2002, 08:42 PM

When we first went vegan we got a lot of heat from our family and lame comments like you describe.

Over time I got a lot better at "defending" our diet and lifestyle and no one can argue with the fact that my child is very healthy and so are my husband and myself.

Now when people say, "How do you get enough protein?" I say, "How do you avoid getting too much?"

And, "Aren't you depriving your child by forcing her to be on a vegan diet?" and I say, "Yes, I'm depriving her of heart disease, cancer, obesity, diabetes, stroke, high blood pressure, etc. etc."

You get em girl!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page