Call for Your Best Vegan Recipes!!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-10-2002, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas,

I am a new vegan and looking for some great new recipes that you may use for your families. DP and I like just about everything so let 'er rip!!!
#2 of 4 Old 08-10-2002, 08:53 PM

I'm sort of in the throes of working at the moment so I haven't got time to type out heaps of stuff. I never use recipes anyways. Quick examples of food I make

Black bean chilli - fry chopped onion, crushed garlic, chopped fresh chilli or chilli powder to desired heat, chopped capsicums ( & any other vege that takes your fancy ). Bung in a can of tomatoes, a can of black beans, mixed herbs & ground cumin to taste. Simmer until you think it's cooked. Throw in a few spoons of tomato paste to thicken ( optional ) & some sugar to taste ( also optional ). Serve over corn chips. I give the non-vegans aka dh sour cream & grated cheese with this. We just eat it as is, maybe with some chopped fresh tomatoes or some guacamole & a green salad on the side. You could equally make this with kidney beans or a combo of some kind of lentils for texture & bigger pulses like kidney beans & black beans.

Pumpkin & lentil soup - fry chopped onion & garlic ( if you like it ) Throw in some cubed fresh pumpkin, some split red lentils & some kombu ( optional ) & leave to cook until the pumpkin is soft & the lentils are done. This is quite a versatile recipe since you can make it a dhal by adding curry spices or a more western soup by adding fresh rosemary instead. You can purree it to make a smooth soup, vary the amount of water to get different consistency soups. You can also add a couple of handfuls of chopped spinach when it's almost cooked. You could also leave out the pumkin or substitute for a different vege like potatoes or yams. I generally serve this with chappatis ( dd gets yeast related excema ) You could also put some nutritional yeast in this but I don't coz of dd.

Red lentil bolognese sauce - for pasta use wholemeal organic pasta of course. It's not much more expensive than the white chemical stuff. Just eat less! Fry up an onion & some garlic. Throw in some redlentils, a bit of water & a can of tomatoes. Simmer until all nice & thick. Season to taste with mixed herbs. This is a basic bolognese sauce, you can add veges & yeast extract for a more meaty flavour if you like.

Rice & veges. Cook up a pot of brown rice- basmati is nice. Let cool for a while. Fry up seasonal veges ( onions, diced carrot, peas, sweetcorn, bean shoots, pumpkin ) obviously you need to do these at separate times so they all get cooked together. Once the veges are cooked, throw in some rice.Stir thru & cook gently until heated. Serve with fried tofu & shoyu or shoyu panfried tofu ( slice into strips, put in hot pan & cover with shoyu fry till done )
You can serve with fried tempeh or put a drained can of garbanzos in with the rice instead. Coz it'swinter here, I make it at the moment with cubed pumpkin pieces, onions, peas & chopped parsley in with the rice.

Thai curries I love check the curry paste for animal products or make your own. You can go simple - slices of browned tempeh. Throw in a pot with coconut milk & red or green curry paste. Serve over brown rice with sambals. More complicated is something like simmer coconut milk & curry paste for a few mins, throw in torn up fresh basil, bamboo shoots, a can of chickpeas, some soy sauce & sugar to taste, a cup or so of frozen sweetcorn,
some cooked lima beans, some chopped fresh spinach. Cook until veges are cooked & serve over rice.

I made some wonderful thai chickpea fritters the other day by bunging a peeled onion, a clove of garlic & a piece of fresh ginger in my blender. I added in the juice of 1/2 a lime & half a can of chickpeas &swooshed until smooth. Then I mashed the remaining half can & mixed that in by hand & fried spoinfuls. I served it with a coconut & peanut sauce made of coconut milk, chilli, peanut butter, lime zest & juice & some vietnamese mint. I served it with steamed veges ( brocolli, cauliflower, carrots, kale....)

I'm partial to adzuki beans on toast but rarely get time to make them as they require quite a lot of cooking. But once they've cooked, fry an onion ( in rings ), add the adukis, tahini & shoyu. Thin with bean water if necessary. Cook thru to warm & serve over hot wholemeal grained toast. Adzukis make good shepherds pie too. Just replace the mince with a mix of cooked adukis & rice & bung in some shoyu or yeast extract for extra flavour as well.

For desert you can't go past the world famous in NZ vegan chocie mousse which is a carton of soft silken tofu plus 2 drops of essential oil of peppermint or orange or whatever flavour you fancy whizzed up in a blender with a bar of melted vegan fair traded chocolate. Left in the fridge to set. I've got a very yummy vegan cheese cake recipe I can look out for you if you like sometime & a cookie recipe that they actually go crunchy & doesn't involve hydrogenated fats !

There's heaps of other stuff I make altho' I have hit a brick wall at the mo' myself with my cooking. Generally I just don't get time & I'm getting continuous stress from people about things like the blood type diet & how I need to eat meat which is really starting to annoy me.

Try this web site for more ideas

http://www.ivu.org/recipes/regions.html
#3 of 4 Old 08-11-2002, 12:06 PM

My favorite vegan recipes are in the following cookbooks:

Lean and Luscious and Meatless by Bobbie Hinman and Millie Snyder.

The two PETA cookbooks

Voluptuous Vegan by Myra Kornfeld

And Marilyn Diamond's cookbook, "the American Vegetarian Cookbook from the Fit For Life Kitchen"
#4 of 4 Old 09-10-2002, 11:00 PM

I love the voluptuous vegan cookbook, but it is not always the most practical.
I recommend vegan meals for one or two, you can find it at AKPress.com
Lauren

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page