Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

Old 06-28-2014, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiri View Post
We are what we eat, correct? Therefor, since you are Vegan, your milk is vegan milk. No animal products went into it, only whatever you are eating.
You are what you eat.
...so
Free range cows eat a vegan diet, ergo eating free range cows is vegan.

Free range cows eat a vegan diet, ergo free range cow milk is vegan.

So if human milk is okay because the human is vegan, then bovine milk is okay so long as the bovine is vegan.

If you say that the difference is in consent, then milk from a socialized cow that likes being milked (think "family pet". Or family friend if you want) as a socializing activity is vegan.

For your argument to be logically consistent the following MUST apply.

A1: A foods vegan status is determined by the food being herbivorous or eating vegan food. (In this case ALL animals are vegan as all biochemical energy is originally derived from vegetable matter, see predation pyramid)

And/OR

A2: a food's vegan status is determined by consent. So a human's or cow's meat or byproduct can be vegan if the animal consents. (For example consensual cannibalism would be vegan)

If you reject either of these points, then you must logically also reject your arguments in favor of human milk being vegan.

Rather than all the mental gymnastics, excuses, and exceptions why not admit that while a vegan diet can sustain human life, it is incapable of growing it from infancy?

Why run from the obvious conclusion?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by candiland
Actually, "vegans" do not eat OTHER species' meats and fluids. You can eat breastmilk, placenta, - heck, ass, for all I care! - and it's still vegan.

Are you saying that somebody could be a vegan cannibal?
Yep. That is exactly what they are implying.

The poorly thought out mental gymnastics in an attempt to deny reality boggles the mind.

Breast milk is NOT vegan.

But, so what?

Eat vegan if you want, it's your choice. Just don't expect a growing child to be able to live on that kind of diet. Kids need vast ammounts of easily digsted whole proteins and fats. For infants in particular they need more than their little Tummys can fit. That's why we feed them so often.

As an adult you can live fine on a vegan diet because you don't need the protein and energy density (infact most of us could use a little less energy density). But a newborn baby is literally processing food almost 24/7 and even then needs the good rich high fat and protein milk.
Old 06-28-2014, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kama'aina mama View Post
That's a pure distortion of a definition. It's like claiming that someone born without hands isn't a human because they don't have an opposable thumb.

Your milk is not a dairy product. You are not in any way exploited against your will to provide milk to your DD. It's a pointless and specious arguement. These people are trying to push your buttons. Don't let them.
Correct! Kinda.... Sorta... Not really

Human milk is not a dairy product according to websters.
"1 : a room, building, or establishment where milk is kept and butter or cheese is made 2 a : the department of farming or of a farm that is concerned with the production of milk, butter, and cheese b : a farm devoted to such production 3 : an establishment for the sale or distribution chiefly of milk and milk products"

Also my goat milk isn't a dairy product because it isn't on a farm.
My wife's cousin's cow's milk isn't a dairy product either because again it is just a pet.

So yes that point is true.

But that's not how we use the term "Dairy" in the modern anglosphere lexicons.

The real question isn't one hinged on the classification of the production facility, but rather one of the nature of the product itself.

Your response fails to address the matter at issue and merely obfuscates the point.

(Ps to the consent question see friendly cows and voluntary cannibalism.

P.p.s. I have known cows that literally get mad when you don't milk them and come find you to get milked. Cows are cute but can be very pushy)
Old 06-28-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PikkuMyy View Post
Yes, this is one of the dumbest arguments I've ever heard from meat-eaters, although I haven't heard it myself. As for the vegan who was saying it to you, as her/him "What would you like me to do? Feed my baby on cow's milk?"
Nope. Surely they are just looking to make you admit a vegan diet would kill the kid.

It's a childish reason to bug you, but it is what it is.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
To above poster-
"You are what you eat.
...so
Free range cows eat a vegan diet, ergo eating free range cows is vegan.

Free range cows eat a vegan diet, ergo free range cow milk is vegan."

Yes the COW is vegan....EATING the cow is not vegan. No one said that we are what we eat eats. If someone eats me, it doesn't mean that THEY are vegetarian. If that was true then most of us would be animal poop.....as that is what many plants "eat".

And in regards to "pushy cows"- That statement tells me that the mommy is not near the baby.... or she wouldn't be begging to be milked. Anyone that has nursed and been away from baby for a bit, is well aware of how it feels to be engorged and hurt. So if the cow is begging to be milked, maybe it shouldn't be separated from its child.

Last edited by BlessedOne; 06-30-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Modern cows are bred to produce far more than the calf will drink, at top production you might see like 15x what a calf needs produced. They can adjust their production to demand, many family cows are milked once per day for 1-2 gallons if they are kept with calves, only making double the calf's need, but it takes adjustment and I'm not sure if a dairy breed cow can go much lower in production.

Human milk doesn't count as dairy for many reasons. It's about the easiest thing in the world for human babies to digest (whereas cow's milk is very hard), it counts as a clear liquid, medically. It's also given with the mother's complete consent and intention

Besides categories shouldn't be such a volatile and emotion filled debate if you are confident in your choices, let it roll off your back if somebody is stupid or rude.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:27 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Strictly speaking, it's true. Humans ARE animals. Human milk is an animal product. If they're suggesting that you should stop breastfeeding- they're idiots. But they may object to you using a term they don't agree she fits, which I can understand where they're coming from, but they're being ridiculously nitpicky.

I think this is ignoring the spirit of veganism. There's not really a single reason to be vegan that I've heard of that applies to breast milk. Ethics- your breastmilk is ethical. Health- breastmilk is far healthier than a "proper" vegan diet for a newborn. Animal protein intolerances- if the baby is thriving on breastmilk, clearly not a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedOne View Post
And in regards to "pushy cows"- That statement tells me that the mommy is not near the baby.... or she wouldn't be begging to be milked. Anyone that has nursed and been away from baby for a bit, is well aware of how it feels to be engorged and hurt. So if the cow is begging to be milked, maybe it shouldn't be separated from its child.
It's actually worse than that. We've selectively bred cows to produce an obscene amount of milk. Even if cows were kept with their calves, it's unlikely the calves would be able to nurse enough to make the cow comfortable. (all the more reason to keep calves with the cow) We've really screwed cows over.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
You could use Zaphod's argument in this quote for Restaurant at the End of the Universe:

Quote:
'You mean this animal actually wants us to eat it?' whispered
Trillian to Ford.

'Me?' said Ford, with a glazed look in his eyes, 'I don't mean
anything.'

'That's absolutely horrible,' exclaimed Arthur, 'the most revolting
thing I've ever heard.'

'What's the problem Earthman?' said Zaphod, now transfering his
attention to the animal's enormous rump.

'I just don't want to eat an animal that's standing there
inviting me to,' said Arthur, 'It's heartless.'

'Better than eating an animal that doesn't want to be
eaten,' said Zaphod.

'That's not the point,' Arthur protested. Then he thought about it
for a moment. 'Alright,' he said, 'maybe it is the point. I don't
care, I'm not going to think about it now. I'll just ... er ... I
think I'll just have a green salad,' he muttered.
http://www.saunalahti.fi/~huuhilo/dna2.html

Old 07-02-2014, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
yes it is no surprise cows in a large scale industry are bred as frequent as possible (and possibly altered by hormones or steroids) to produce more milk, although the way the poster made it sound, was it was a very small scale farm situation. But even so, calf gestation is about 9 months and typically only one cow born at a time (twins are only about 3% of the time). So with all of that being said, a cow that is not overly bred, should be able to have a relatively normal nursing routine. But here is the problem....most large scale cow factories (and maybe even some smaller ones) will take the calf from the mother anywhere from immediately to the first couple of days. So therefore she can not nurse her young, but instead have her milk stolen, while her calf is on a powdered milk replacer.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:52 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus42 View Post
Breast milk is NOT vegan.
Breastmilk is vegan. The reason you should care is because there are certain people who, falling into this thinking that it isn't vegan because it is produced by the human animal, decide to feed their children soy formula instead, thinking somehow they aren't allowed to breastfeed. This makes no sense.

Do I care if it's vegan or not? No. But people try to make the irrational argument that if you're doing something that isn't vegan, like feeding your children your milk, then you can't be a vegan. That's like people telling me I'm not really a Christian because I don't believe the same things they do.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:44 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Pardon the intrusion... I am SO not a vegan but am 100% lactivist through and through, so I'm gonna take a chance here and reply.

I always had the impression that veganism was less a diet and more a philosophy of life. In other words, I had the idea that people practice veganism out of respect for other creatures. Thus, not using leather products, lanolin, or honey.

So if respect for living things is at the core of veganism, how could human milk ever be anything BUT vegan?! The baby isn't taking something without permission, the milk is freely given.

Bring back the old MDC
Old 07-05-2014, 05:59 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedOne View Post
yes it is no surprise cows in a large scale industry are bred as frequent as possible (and possibly altered by hormones or steroids) to produce more milk, although the way the poster made it sound, was it was a very small scale farm situation. But even so, calf gestation is about 9 months and typically only one cow born at a time (twins are only about 3% of the time). So with all of that being said, a cow that is not overly bred, should be able to have a relatively normal nursing routine. But here is the problem....most large scale cow factories (and maybe even some smaller ones) will take the calf from the mother anywhere from immediately to the first couple of days. So therefore she can not nurse her young, but instead have her milk stolen, while her calf is on a powdered milk replacer.
I didn't mean frequency of freshening (pregnancy) for the cow I meant genetic adaptation, they bred the cows that gave the most milk for so many generations that dairy cows give a lot of milk. Family dairy cows kept with their calves make an extra 1-2 gallons a day.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessedwithboys View Post
I always had the impression that veganism was less a diet and more a philosophy of life. In other words, I had the idea that people practice veganism out of respect for other creatures. Thus, not using leather products, lanolin, or honey.
If you read vegan literature, that's pretty much what it says. I think if you are claiming to raise your child as a vegan, that means your child is more or less following the same dietary practices with the idea if you raise him with these beliefs, he may choose it for himself when he is able.

User Tag List