Vegetarian Freeze Ahead - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2005, 12:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey ladies, I'm just getting started with the freeze ahead thing. I'm single and every time I cook I end up eating the same thing for a week! So, I've just started freezing things. Last night, I heated up my first bowl of frozen soup. But I'd love some recipe ideas for freeze ahead or once-a-month cooking for vegetarians. I've looked on the internet, but haven't found much.

TIA,
Kate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2005, 01:10 PM

:
Old 02-04-2005, 01:44 PM

I'm not a vegetarian, but what about simple Mexican foods. They seem to reheat really well. You could do bean burritos or enchiladas. You could precook veggie meat with seasoning and then heat it up and add it to salads or tacos. You can also precook onions and peppers together for toppings. Rice also freezes well, you could do all sorts of seasoned rice.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Oh cool! Thanks! I didn't know you could freeze rice! That'll help a lot!

Thanks,
Kate
Old 02-05-2005, 12:40 AM

you can do so much!
here is a link with a few ideas
http://busycooks.about.com/library/r...eezevegrec.htm

some things I have frozen in the past are soups, mac n cheese (if you do dairy) lasanga, stuffed shells, enchiladas, burritos, french bread pizzas,shepards pie,muffins,etc.

I did alot of freezing before ds was born and will probably start again in a few months so I won't have to cook so much when it's hot this summer! (we are buying an extra freezer this time around too! yay!)

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
Old 02-05-2005, 01:24 AM

Tofu Pot Pie from The Farm cookbook.
When moz. cheez goes on sale, we buy a ton and shred and freeze it. Then it's easy to just throw it on pizza, lasagna, etc. Those are things I like to make in the moment though to use up extra veggies

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

Old 02-05-2005, 01:45 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm big on the crock pot and the veggie side dish recipes are done in large quantities so they make great veggie meals. A vegetarian couple in town had a baby and I was on the list to make them a meal... I pulled this out of the freezer and they LOOOOOOVED it.

Squash Combo

1-1/2 lbs. small yellow squash
1-1/2 lbs. zucchini
1 tsp. seasoned salt
1/4 c. (1/2 stick) butter, melted
1/2 c. seasoned dry breadcrumbs
1/2 c. grated cheddar cheese

Cut squash and zucchini into small (bite-sized) pieces
Spray crock with vegetable spray or coat with vegetable oil.
Plash squash & zucchini in crock.
Sprinkle with seasoned salt.
Pour melted butter over squash & sprinkle with breadcrumbs and cheese.
Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
Old 02-05-2005, 02:24 AM

I made Thai curry today. I just use any veggies and a can of coconut milk and curry powd and fresh garlic, ginger, onions, salt. Sautee onions in your choice of oil, add ginger, stir a bit, add garlic. Pour in coconut milk and about 1 T curry powder and 2 t salt. Add veggies in order of what needs to cook longest and then simmer until done. It freezes well in sandwich bags and that way you can portion it and only eat some without defrosting the whole thing.

I also make soup in large batches and freeze in portions. Barley veggie soup, butternut squash soup, lentil soup.

I made pancakes the other day and muffins today. I cut the muffins in half so they would defrost easier. I freeze cookie dough in balls and then they are easy to bake.

I also have a shepherd's pie and lasagna (cut into portions) in the freezer.
The shepherd's pie is a layer of cooked, mixed veggies in a cheese sauce topped with mashed potatoes and then some sauteed lentil loaf and onions sprinkled on top.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:07 AM

This recipe originally called for chicken but I just substitute a little crumbled tempeh. I usually make 10 times this amount. That's enough for dh and I and then I have enough to freeze for 4 more meals. My kids won't eat it because it's too spicy.

Southwestern Eggrolls
2 tbsp minced red pepper
2 tbsp minced green onion
1/3 cup corn
1/4 cup cooked black beans
2 tbsp frozen spinach (thawed and drained)
2 tbsp diced canned jalepeno pepper
1/2 tbsp minced parsley
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
dash cayenne pepper
Saute the red pepper and onion in a little vegetable oil. At this point I usually add a little crumbled tempeh but you could easily omit it. Add the rest of the ingredients and saute a couple minutes.

I freeze this in small containers. When I'm ready to use it I put the filling in tortillas, roll them up, and brush with oil. Put in the toaster oven on 350 deg for 10-15 minutes. Serve with ranch dressing to dip in. I'll sometimes add smashed avocado to the dressing.

mama to six ('98, '00, '04, '04, '06, '08)
Old 02-06-2005, 02:55 AM
Banned

Hiya!

Just a note on freezing things that expand like rice, pasta, etc...when you cook them, remove what you will be freezing when it is about 75% done so it won't be soggy when you thaw and eat it---it takes a bit more work, but it is worth it...I would freeze meals ahead of time but the rice/pasta type dishes tasted kind of "squishy" until I started doing this!

I am interested in being part of this thread too!! I am pregnant and want to freeze meals for when we bring home baby so there is less to do and we won't have to worry about cooking etc, but I am not due for another 3 months----
does anyone know how long vegetarian food can be frozen for??
Old 02-06-2005, 03:11 AM

Most veg foods you'll be safe freezing for at least 3 months. Some can freeze even longer, around 6 mos. Pre-made meals I usually only leave in for about 3 months, though

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

Old 02-07-2005, 03:56 AM

Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers can be frozen. They are so yummy!

4 green peppers
2 cups of cooked brown rice (don't cook it so it's soggy as PP said)
1 large egg slightly beaten
1 cup chopped onion
1 small can tomatoes (about 8 oz)
1 T. vegetable oil
1 cup bread crumbs with a few T. of wheat Germ
1 1/4 cup of grated cheese

Slice off tops of peppers and scoop out inside. Mix all above except 1/2 cheese. Stuff and place in round casserole dish and cover with plastic wrap and pierce 4-5 times for vents (or place a lid over it but don't put it on all the way)

Microwave on high for 15 mins (you can also cook at 350 oven for about 30-40 mins or until the peppers feel tender)
Sprinkle remainder of cheese

If freezing, cook prior to freezing. Do not reheat until the pepper has been thawed.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:43 PM

Every once in a while I do OAMC, and since I don't eat the meat in most plans, it can be tough unless you can figure out the order for cooking everything, etc. Anyway, there is a lot more out there now than there used to be.

I was going to post some links but there are just too many. Go to Google and type "OAMC vegetarian plan" and you will lots of links.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:27 PM

Lurking!

User Tag List