Mothering Forum banner

Vegetarian Chili recipes

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  EnviroBecca 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any good veggie chili recipes? With the winter months approaching all too quickly it would be nice to have a warm not too complicated meal for family and friends. Thank you

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't ever follow the same recipe. I guess I kind of made this up over the years.
I start by sauteeing some chopped up onion, garlic, and peppers (green or sometimes hot)in a bit of olive oil. I add chili powder to this and let it cook for about 30 seconds or so (don't burn it). I add organic tomatoes (I like chunky sauce. I think it is made by Muir Glen) and canned organic beans (somebody makes a combination of beans- black, pinto, chili that's good in chili) and some kind of soy protein grillers crumbles, crumbled tempeh, or tvp. This is my basic recipe. To this I sometimes get creative by adding small amounts of beer, coffee, or even cocoa. I've thrown in some frozen corn and some refried beans (to make it thicker)and even unsalted roasted cashews (yum). I let it cook as long as I feel like. When its time to eat I like to jazz it up with condiments such as grated cheese, sour cream, sliced black olives, and tortilla chips. A friend turned me on to another way of eating chili that sounds kind of yucky but is actually quite good- peanut butter spread on crackers thrown into the bowl and crushed up with your spoon (I have this w/o the other condiments).

AS you can tell, chili can me whatever you make it!!

#4 ·
Either The Moosewood Cookbook or its sequel The Enchanted Broccoli Forest has an excellent chili recipe! (We have both books, so I tend to forget which is which.) You may be skeptical about the apples, but try them anyway. Yum!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.