Need help making a vegan cake - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-31-2002, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am trying to make a vegan birthday cake for my one-year-old. I have tried several recipes and none of them are turning out. I am getting really frustrated because every cake that I am trying to make turns out doughy in the middle. It doesn't matter how long I cook it, it seems like it is raw yet. Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
#2 of 7 Old 10-31-2002, 10:12 PM

Its raw and doughy inside but done on the outside?

One issue might be the cooking temp - could be too hot. Another issue might be the pan size - some vegan recipes work better in small pans and not a sheet cakes.

What are you using instead of eggs in the cake - that might also be the issue. I use a potatoe starch egg replacer, but some people try to use tofu and that seems like it might cause a mushy middle.

I have only made choc. vegan cakes or I would share the recipe - but choc is likely not what you have in mind for a 1 year old!

best of luck,

Megan

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#3 of 7 Old 11-01-2002, 05:01 AM

hi jody,

i'm not sure what you're doing wrong with your recipes. however there are some pies that i make (esp. pumpkin) that i could leave in the oven for hours probably and the filling would still be like applesauce. fortunately it still tastes good.

our favorite vegan cake is the "wacky cake" recipe from my 'how it all vegan' cookbook. in fact, that's what my boys had for their 1st b-day. it's a delicious moist chocolate cake, very simple, turns out every time(even though sometimes it's slightly sunken in the middle), and vegans and omnivores alike love it!

you dont have to worry with egg replacers either. my mom had a wacky cake recipe that was different, but the one in this vegan cookbook is better. Then i use a powdered sugar icing with almond milk.

do you have that cookbook? let me know if you're interested-- i'll give you the recipes.
#4 of 7 Old 11-01-2002, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

No, I don't have that cookbook and I would love the recipe!! I have no idea what I am doing wrong. I also tried making cupcakes and those also turned out doughy so I guess it isn't just the pan size. I used the temperature that was in the recipe. I am not sure what I used for the egg replacer, I just followed the recipes. I have never used tofu in them. I am trying to remember...I used flour, maple syrup, vegan shortening, rice milk, and a few other ingredients that I can't remember. I have tried following the healthier recipes and then tried an unhealthy one, but still vegan. They all turned out the same. Yes, I am trying to stay away from chocolate at this age Megan!
I am hoping to find something that non-vegans would also like because I am constantly being teased about the way I eat from my family. I would love to prove them wrong and have them enjoy something that doesn't have dairy in it.
Thanks!
#5 of 7 Old 11-01-2002, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have had great luck making vegan cakes using old favorite, standard recipes. I replace the eggs with Ener-G egg replacer (from the health food store) and replace the milk with rice milk or soy milk. You can cut the sugar by a third or even a half for a less sweet cake and substitute some whole wheat flour for white if you want to. I serve these traditional, and yet vegan, cakes all the time to friends and family and everyone thinks they are wonderful. They really don't even know they are vegan. If the recipe is a yellow cake, though, much of the flavor will come from the egg so these are not a great recipe to switch. However, if you add vanilla or extra vanilla, they will be good. For my birthday, we made a carrot cake and even had cream cheese frosting made with Better than Cream Cheese. It tasted wonderful! For the best traditional cake recipes, seek out old cookbooks, Betty Crocker or Better Homes and Gardens. Pre 1950's are the best.

If your cakes are continuing to be mushy in the middle, you should consider getting an oven thermomoter and testing your oven temperature. This can be a problem. Once you know if you oven is off, just adjust the temperature setting to compensate.

Sorry my message is so wordy! Good luck with your cakes(s)!
#6 of 7 Old 11-01-2002, 04:29 PM

I had the problem you're speaking of when I used bananas to make my vegan cakes.

The best cakes I've made are when I veganize a non-vegan recipe. Sub magarine instead of butter, use soy milk instead of cow's milk, egg replacer instead of eggs, and fructose instead of sugar. Although I like to use whole wheat pastry flour, the cakes come out WAY better when I use unbleached white flour. So for parties and such, I use the unbleached white flour.

Good luck!
#7 of 7 Old 11-01-2002, 06:14 PM

here's that recipe Jodi, although it is chocolate cake. i'm sorry, i didnt realize you were trying to avoid that for your baby. There is a vanilla cake that isnt bad in this vegan book(definitely did not turn out mushy--i used ener-g egg replacer), but i havent found an icing i like for it. This wacky cake would make a good adult cake at the party . i can say that my boys ended up wearing far more of it than what they actually ate :P.

Wacky Cake:

1 ½ C Flour
4 Tbsp cocoa or carob powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt

1 C dry sweetener (I use turbinado sugar)
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp vinegar
5 Tbsp oil (I use canola)
1 C cold water

In large bowl stir: flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Then add sweetener, vanilla, vinegar, oil, and water. Mix these gently until “just mixed.” Bake at 325. Lightly oil cake pan (square). Bake 45-50 minutes.

Icing:

(this makes enough for 9” x 13” so if not doubling cake recipe, halve this one)

1 lb powdered sugar
½ C butter, softened (we use soy margarine)
1 tsp vanilla
3 Tbsp almond milk or soy milk

Mix together with mixer. You may need to add more milk for desired thickness.

lemme know if you'd like the vanilla recipe.
good luck!

Jenny

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page