vegetarian or vegan dish to bring to Thanksgiving? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-18-2002, 11:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am trying to think what to bring to my MIL & FIL's house for Thanksgiving. They have the traditional bird carcass and I would like to bring a tasty vegetarian dish to share with everyone, and am wondering what other vegetarians and vegans bring to share? Thanks for your ideas!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2002, 12:25 PM

if you can get a hold of this month's issue of Cooking Light, they have an entire menu for a vegetarian Thanksgiving. it sounded yummy to me.
Old 11-18-2002, 01:15 PM

We're getting a Wellington from Native Foods. Check it out at www.nativefoods.com. You can order online and they will ship it to you frozen. Then you just have to cook it. Yum!

Also, I usually make sweet potatoes, bring an apple pie and a pumpkin pie.

A nice potato/lentil stew would be a yummy main course (full of protein).
Old 11-18-2002, 04:07 PM
Banned

We all (or, well, most of us, I guess) want stuffing on Thanksgiving. Good stuffing. Rich stuffing. Make some good, veggie stuffing with veggie stock, good bread or rice or cornbread, and (depending on your taste and where you grew up), dried fruit (like cranberries and apples), chestnuts, sage and other herbs, and/or other goodies. And, most importantly, DO NOT SKIMP ON THE BUTTER OR OIL!!!!

And I second the suggestion to bring pies. Homemade pies are fabulous, and most are so easy.
Old 11-18-2002, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Erin Pavlina
We're getting a Wellington from Native Foods.
Before I looked at the website, I was thinking, a frozen rubber boot? Not too tasty-sounding...

Have you tried one of these before, Erin? I'd love to know if they're good.

Warning - do not, repeat, do NOT take a Tofurkey or the equivalent to your unsuspecting non-veg relatives! They will call the culinary cops on you for sure. (I know I'm going to get flamed by the tofurkey-lovers on the boards; believe me, I like tofu and "fake" meats as much as any veg-head, but Tofurkey is like bad rubberized lunch meat!)

We're going to be making a butternut squash and caramelized onion tart from epicurious.com as our veggie main course this year. It's not even close to being vegan, though.

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 11-18-2002, 05:01 PM

I'm making orzo pasta cooked in vegetable broth, fresh garlic and olive oil -- with spinach, tomatos and feta cheese (cheese is optional). I'm bringing tofu with sliced olives to add to it, if anyone wants to. It will also taste good with bits of turkey in it, if anyone feels so inclined.

My dh is the vegetarian.
Old 11-18-2002, 06:01 PM

Candied Sweet Potatoes!
No celebration is complete without this dish:
5 lbs. potatoes, so-called yams
1 lb. butter
1 lb. brown sugar
Cook for 45 minutes covered with foil. Then give it 15 minutes more without the cover. Marshmallows are not allowed.
I think that Thanksgiving is one of my favorite meals. The turkey is just an afterthought to me, it's the side dishes that make it special.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 11-18-2002, 07:43 PM

I love gravy and since the gravy at a traditional Thanksgiving dinner is meat based I'd bring one.
Heres a recipe for a good one:
Thanksgivig Gravy
2 qt. veggie stock
1/3 cup of white white whine or mirin
1/3 cup of soy sauce or tamari
1Tbs. dijon mustard
1Tbs. apple cider vinegar
2-3tsp. poultry seasoning
1/2-1tsp. sage
1/2-1tsp.thyme
1/2-1tsp.rsemary
pepper to taste
2-3Tbs.cornstartch
Combine everything exept the cornstarch in a medium size pot.Bring to a boil over medium heat.,lower heat then simmer it for 10 min. Right before you serve it,dissolve the cornstarch and stir until the gravy thickens. Use enough cornstarch to make it the consistency you like. Makes 8 cups.
Also cranberry sauce is a easy vegan dish. This is how I make it.
Cranbery sauce:
1bag off cranberries
1cup of sugar
1cup of orange juice.
Combine in a medium size pan. Bring to a boil and cook until it satrts too thicken and all the cranberries have started to pop open. Cool and serve.
BTW,I really like Tofurkey ,already have ours in the feezer!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
Old 11-19-2002, 06:06 PM

Just wanted to chime in and say that the Native Foods Wellington is *really* delicious. I recommend it highly. We had one last year and it was *so* good. The only issue I had was that the shipping cost as much as the darned Wellington!
Old 11-19-2002, 07:22 PM

I haven't had one yet, this is our first year ordering the Wellington. But it came highly reocmmended from my friend who is a gourmet chef. If she likes (she's a food snob) I know I'll like it.

It's puff pastry with veggies and things inside. Just say puff pastry to me and I'm there!
Old 11-20-2002, 12:19 AM

I just bought a small tofurkey today!!!! It is for four people and I was going to try it out on my Dad who is not a vegetarian. Maybe not such a good idea melanie
Old 11-20-2002, 12:27 AM

I'm sorry, didn't mean to rain on your parade! I just think it's a little much for the fake-meat-uninitiated, KWIM? If you have a lot of other things your dad likes to eat, just in case he doesn't like it....or if you cook him a Cornish game hen (mini-turkey!), does that work for you?

(I'm veg, my dh isn't, we're veg at home for every single meal of the year except Thanksgiving, so I don't mind having meat in the house for that one day!)

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Old 11-20-2002, 02:44 AM
Banned

We brought tofurky to thanksiving last year and it was faaar from a hit with the family. It tasted great to me and dh who have not had real turky in many years. But apparently it was like chewing on a tire for those who had real meat to compare it to.
i am not sure what we will bring this year.
Old 11-20-2002, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

I'm loving all the ideas!! Can't wait to try some recipes. I tried the tofurky last year also - the taste was alright, but I couldn't stand the smell of it and threw it out. I have a pretty sensitive nose though

User Tag List