Need some ideas for raw veggies - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-11-2005, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are some other veggies that can be eaten raw besides lettuce, celery and carrots? I can get my DS to eat alot of veggies if they're cooked but then there are alot of times I'm too lazy to cook a side of veggies : I would like to be able to just cut up some raw and give them that way (especially in his sack lunches when school starts again). He doesn't like salads or celery but has just started liking raw carrots so I'm able to do that. He's never eaten a raw piece of brocolli either, sometimes he'll eat the stem part sliced though. What other veggies can be eaten raw and are kid friendly?
#2 of 7 Old 08-11-2005, 02:58 PM

Dd loves peas and corn raw. I don't know how old your ds is, but they probably should be past the choking stage to eat those.
Cherry tomatoes maybe? My kids just love to watch them squirt all over.
Green beans, dd loves those.
You can just do shredded beets without cooking them. Oh, zucchini, too, dc love those uncooked. Bell peppers maybe. The red and yellow ones are sweet.

Mama to 3:
#3 of 7 Old 08-11-2005, 03:00 PM

My dd loves tomato slices, cucumber slices, and sweet peppers. Anything crispy enough to dip!
#4 of 7 Old 08-11-2005, 03:34 PM

I've been liking raw summer squash lately.

Katherine, mama to Emma Kate (7) and Griffin (3)

#5 of 7 Old 08-11-2005, 04:45 PM

Mushrooms, spring onions, peppers (a rainbow of possibilities), avocado, green beans, radish, tomato, tomatillo, jimica...

We found it is easier to introduce raw veggies with raw fruit. We start with slices of apple, and then move on to other yummy things that are fun to chop.
#6 of 7 Old 08-11-2005, 08:55 PM

cauliflower is pretty kid-friendly because of it's mild taste. Another thing that kids seem to like are olives though they are more like a condiment and not a raw veggie.

You can also do shredded veggies on sandwiches, carrots and zucchini work pretty well this way. We do lots of veggies on either cheese or fried egg sandwiches, like avocado, cucumber, tomato, the aforementioned shredded veggies, and lettuce, and bell peppers if we have any. They're all pretty tasty!

Other raw veggie ideas would be a cold vegan soup a.k.a. salad in a blender. Good way to get greens into children!
#7 of 7 Old 08-12-2005, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys!

I never knew that you could eat things like green beans raw, that's so cool. DS likes pepper so I gave him some when he was eating his falafel w. tahini sauce to dip into the sauce, he wasn't too interested in trying that :LOL he likes peppers too. He does eat alot of raw cucumbers, I forgot about that one, but I haven't bought any in a few weeks because I think DS was starting to get sick of them. I'm gonna write down these suggestions for when I go grocery shopping tommorow, I think a big raw veggie platter with different dips would be something that would get DS liking those foods more.

thanks again!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page