Veggie Mommas .. September! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-30-2005, 09:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the frosting recipes, mamas! I gues I'll just need to make a couple cakes before the part to see which one we like!

Just for the record- I've been taking my prenantals for about 4 years (at least whne I remember) and take flax seed oil daily for the omegas. I also try to incorporate nutritional yeast into every day for the B12, as I'm vegan. I feel pretty good! Tired, but that's just from lack of sleep!

Occasionally I go on boughts of forgetting the prenantals for a week at a time and I still feel good, as long as I eat well balanced meals. I try to remember the flax and nutritional yeast, though.

Mom to three and owner of Earthetarian Happy, healthy and handmade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2005, 10:45 AM

Thanks so much for the jello recipe! I missed having jello, but, also didn't want all the sugar. I'm going to try that this weekend.

My husband is a pudding addict (well used to be), does anyone has a good sugar-free or close to that pudding recipe maybe made without cow's milk?

Thanks so much!

Erica
Old 09-30-2005, 11:39 AM

Oh, I wanted to ask...what are good snack suggestions for an almost 1 year old. She is on all table food (well, some things she can't eat like lettuce)

I made the Sunflower Sesame Cookies yesterday and broke it up into pieces, but it crumbled a little bit and instead of eating it she "MASHED" it into her highchair tray!!

She's not picky at all, she eats everything I give her normally. I made her hemp milk the other day (hemp seeds, water, spirulina, 1 date) and she drank some of it.

She'll normally eat:

Oatmeal
Brown Rice
Zucchini Pie
Cheese
Sweet potatoes
Beans
Fruits
Tomato chunks
Avocado
Eggs
Califlower
Broccoli
The list could go on.

I want her to be the healthiest she can be, so any suggestions would be great. I have no family support for being Vegetarian, so we are on our own here and are always getting "PUT down" for it. But Braylynne has not been sick at all in her almost 12 months of existance! I think that is GREAT!

Thanks for helping me!

Erica
Old 09-30-2005, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braylynnesmom
My husband is a pudding addict (well used to be), does anyone has a good sugar-free or close to that pudding recipe maybe made without cow's milk?
I think I have seen a recipe somewhere that is made with tofu. I dont have it but maybe someone else would
Old 09-30-2005, 11:42 AM

How It All Vegan has an awesome pudding recipe - Sinful Chocolate Pudding. Its made with tofu and cocoa powder (and other things!). I replace the oil with peanut or almond butter, so I can convince myself its pretty healthy that way! It does use maple syrup for sweetening though, at least I think it does! LOL I remember it calls for a sweetener and that's what I use. :LOL
Old 09-30-2005, 11:46 AM

Quote:
She'll normally eat:

Oatmeal
Brown Rice
Zucchini Pie
Cheese
Sweet potatoes
Beans
Fruits
Tomato chunks
Avocado
Eggs
Califlower
Broccoli
The list could go on.

I want her to be the healthiest she can be, so any suggestions would be great. I have no family support for being Vegetarian, so we are on our own here and are always getting "PUT down" for it. But Braylynne has not been sick at all in her almost 12 months of existance! I think that is GREAT!

Thanks for helping me!

Erica
Looks like she eats a lot of very healthy foods to me. Sorry you aren't getting family support. Is she still getting plenty of breast milk?

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
Old 09-30-2005, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isosmom
I would love to know why. Haven't gotten around to reading it yet, but would love a summary about this.
I guess I should add a disclaimer - I think he said in some situations supplements may be beneficial. What he said that made sense to me is that our bodies are designed to take nutrients from foods - whole foods. I eat an organic, whole foods, vegan diet, so I don't think I need the supplements (except B12). He pointed out how scientists are always trying to identify the "magic" component of some healthful food and then isolate it and someone markets it. Its not the one component that makes people healthy, its the whole food. That's kind of like, imo, scientists trying to isolate the important nutrients in breastmilk and saying they've recreated them in formula. Nada! By the way, I don't come close to telling it the way Dr. Campbell tells it - the book is definitely worth a read!
Old 09-30-2005, 11:58 AM

Sheacoby: Yes, she's still getting a lot of breastmilk- atleast I think so. She nurses before and after naps, in the morning, before bed and up to 3 times a night and sometimes while playing she'll come up to me and want to nurse. I'm not getting much support there either! Everyone thinks she should be weaned by Oct. 14th her birthday. I tend to just giggle to myself. I'm going to let her continue to nurse as long as she wants too- if it's till she's 5, then so be it. Some people just don't understand!

Thanks so much for the support.

Erica
Old 09-30-2005, 12:10 PM

Anyone have a good suggestion for their favorite vegan baking book? We are not vegan, but I make a lot of vegan or just dairy-free things. I'm acrtually off to make my favorie vegan chocolate cake from one of the Moosewood cookbooks! Yummm.
Old 09-30-2005, 12:45 PM

Thanks for your reply callmemama. That makes sense. Dr. Weil talks about that a bit, flax seed instead of flax oil, garlic instead of garlic pills, etc. Of course, I go to the hfs and he's got a whole line of magic foods in a pill supplements.

Mama to 3:
Old 09-30-2005, 12:47 PM

Erica, when mine were that little and nurisng like your dd I never worried too much about how much food they ate. Just made sure when they did eat food it was healthy just like your doing!!
BTW, I have a nursing 4 yr. old.

Bearsmama, I really like Mother Nature's Garden by Florence & Micky Bienenfeld.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
Old 09-30-2005, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
China Study says that nutrients can't be isolated but that we should get them from whole foods because food has a whole array of nutrients and properties that all work together.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 10-01-2005, 01:37 AM

Quote:
I have some recipes, but they all have sugar. If you use a tofu recipe, you can get some protien and good fat to balance it out, but other types of pudding usually use some kind of starch as a thickener, which of course is essentially sugar, metabolically speaking.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:47 PM

Thanks, Sheacoby.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:37 PM

Here are a few pudding recipes:

Tapioca Pudding
I devoured this during both of my pregnancies. It’s a great protein- and calcium-rich snack.

3 cups milk (dairy or nondairy)
2/3 cup granulated tapioca
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 eggs
1/4 to 1/3 teaspoon liquid stevia extract or to taste
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Place milk, tapioca, and sea salt in medium pan. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring often. Reduce heat to low and simmer 2 minutes. Beat eggs, stevia, and vanilla together. Beat some tapioca mixture into beaten egg mixture a little at a time to prevent curdling. Stir egg mixture into mixture in pan. Simmer about 5 minutes, or until thickened. Remove from heat and cool 15 minutes. Pour into serving dishes. Serve warm or chilled.

Makes 6 servings

Note: To sweeten tapioca with honey, brown rice syrup, agave nectar, or maple syrup instead of stevia, add 1/4 cup sweetener with egg mixture. Add a little extra granulated tapioca.

Variation

Vegan Tapioca Pudding: Use nondairy milk and omit eggs. Add an additional tablespoon granulated tapioca.

Strawberry Mousse

2 1/4 cups apple juice, divided
1 tablespoon agar agar flakes
1 tablespoon cashew butter or tahini
1 cup sliced strawberries
1/2 cup Whipped Cream (page xxx) or Whipped Tofu Cream (page xxx) (optional)
4 whole strawberries for garnish

Pour 2 cups apple juice into small pan. Sprinkle agar agar flakes over top. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Place remaining 1/4 cup apple juice, cashew butter or tahini, and strawberries in blender or food processor. Pulse to puree. Leave it a little chunky if you like. Stir puree into apple juice mixture in pan. Pour the mousse into 4 individual serving dishes. Chill at least one hour, or until firm. Top with a dollop of whipped topping if desired. Garnish with whole strawberries.

Makes 4 servings

Millet-Coconut Pudding
This light, creamy pudding is delicious for breakfast or a snack as well as dessert.

3/4 cup millet
3 cups water
1 (14-ounce) can light coconut milk
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 to 3 tablespoons maple syrup, brown rice syrup, agave nectar, or honey
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2 cups fresh berries or sliced fruit (blackberries, strawberries mangoes, peaches, bananas, etc.)

Optional toppings:
2 to 3 tablespoons shredded coconut or chopped macadamia nuts

Place millet, water, coconut milk, and salt in heavy bottomed pan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to the very lowest setting. Simmer uncovered one hour, or until pudding thickens. Stir occasionally to prevent scorching. Place warm or cold pudding in serving dishes. Spoon fruit on pudding. Sprinkle coconut or chopped macadamia nuts (or both) over fruit.

Makes 6 servings

Note: Other dairy or nondairy milk can be substituted for coconut milk.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 10-01-2005, 03:56 PM

Thanks so much Cathe. He'll love the tapioca one!! That's his favorite in the world!

Erica
Old 10-02-2005, 08:16 PM

Tonight I experimented and made a nice Kale Quiche. My own recipe. I didn't make a crust, but I may next time, because Hubby loves that. But when I do a crust I do (Brown Rice Flour, Water, Oil or butter) But I took Kale, Eggs, Tomatoes, Cheese, Wheat Germ, Flax Seed, Sesame Seed and Parsley and went to town. It turned out great.

Erica
Old 10-04-2005, 06:04 PM

This is a great thread. I am looking for recipes to make and freeze for after the babe is born so I may create another thread specifically for that.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.

User Tag List