Veggie Mommas .. September! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 78 Old 09-01-2005, 10:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
didn't see a new thread, so here we go!!! I have a fabulous rice and beans recipe to share, maybe during nap time today LOL

How's everyone doing?

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
#2 of 78 Old 09-02-2005, 01:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley4
I have a fabulous rice and beans recipe to share, maybe during nap time today LOL
Yes, please. I love the recipes I get here

I have been feeling on edge, actually, because of Katrina and I feel like some MDC mamas are going through a tough time right now. I feel really, really helpless. Sorry, but you asked.
But on a brighter note, my friend just had a healthy baby #2 and I just found out some friends are newly pg, so I guess life does go on...

Mama to 3:
#3 of 78 Old 09-02-2005, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

don't feel sorry! i want to know! it's hard for me, up here in Cananda, 'cause i can't really know what other MDC momma's are going thru my area is totally unaffected, which is great, but i really feel for the other families!

here's my recipe:

Spicy Rice, Bean and Lentil Casserole

2 tsp olive oil
2 tsp minced garlic
1 cup chopped onions
3/4 cup chopped green peppers
3 3/4 cups vegetable stock
3/4 cup brown rice
1/2 cup green lentils
1 tsp dried basil (didn't have any, used parsley)
1 tsp chili powder
19 oz red kidney beans
1 cup frozen corn (or canned)
1 cup salsa

1. Use a big saucepan, and heat oil over med-high heat, add garlic, onion, green peppers; cook 3 mins. Stir in stock, brown rice, lentils, basil and chili powder; bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to med-low, and cook for 30 to 40 mins, stirring occasionally, until rice and lentils are tender and liquid is mostly absorbed.
2. Stir in beans, corn and salsa; cover and cook 5 mins or until heated thru.

#4 of 78 Old 09-02-2005, 12:30 PM

new here and asking for help!
i'm looking for a healthy cookie or bar recipes to use as a filling snack for my 5 and 1yr olds... anyone have suggestions? they have been eating way too many tings and snap pea crisps these days. : i'm thinking something with nut butter for protein and maybe some dried fruit, vegan would be a plus.
i've searched my cookbooks and can't find anything to fit the bill...

on another note, have you guys checked out the recipes at http://www.veganmania.com yet? she's got some great stuff, my new favorite is the chana saag aloo. its definitly worth trying!

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

#5 of 78 Old 09-02-2005, 03:01 PM

veganmania is one of my all-time favorite recipe sites... Kreeli is awesome!

We made her lemon roasted potatoes the other night, and they were divine
#6 of 78 Old 09-02-2005, 10:37 PM

I've made these a few times and both my 3 1/2 and 1 1/2 yr old love them. They aren't cooked. I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but they're good.

Peanut Butter (or other butter) Balls
Mix 1 c peanut butter, 1/2 c honey, 2 t unsweetened cocoa powder or carob powder, and a pinch of cinnamon until blended. Stir in 2/3 c raisins and 2 T coconut. Put in the fridge for a few hours, then roll into balls and roll in coconut or more cocoa or chopped nuts, or like us, nothing! Eat a few then stick the rest in the fridge for later.

Mama to 3:
#7 of 78 Old 09-07-2005, 01:13 AM

yummmy...could i just use sweetened cocoa instead. i only have sweetened.
#8 of 78 Old 09-07-2005, 02:13 AM

I'm sure you could use sweetened cocoa, just maybe cut down on the amount of honey?

Mama to 3:
#9 of 78 Old 09-07-2005, 10:18 AM

isomom, I grew up eating similar cookies, but instead of cocoa, we used powder milk. I tried with cocoa when ds was little and it was really good, and I think I will do it again sometime soon. When you want to be really decadent, you can put your little peanut butter balls in little muffin cups and pour in some melted chocolate. It is the best peanut butter cup I have ever had.
#10 of 78 Old 09-07-2005, 11:39 AM

has anyone tried the happy tuna salad recipe on veganmania?
#11 of 78 Old 09-07-2005, 10:52 PM

those peanut butter balls sound YUM, I'm going to make some tonight using carob powder and maybe toss in a few crushed walnuts~ Thanks for the idea

Val

"If you truly love nature, you will find beauty everywhere." -Vincent Van Gogh
#12 of 78 Old 09-08-2005, 02:12 AM

Just wanted to share this yummy dinner:

Sweet potato lentil burritos
1/2cup lentils *cooked in 1 1/3c water ~ or leftovers
1 large sweet potato steamed & mashed

sauté in veg oil ~ 1 small chopped onion
few cloves garlic
add cumin (tsp) and chili powder (tsp)

mix together lentils, sweet potato, onion mix with
~3/4cup chopped toasted pecans (toast in a dry fry pan until fragrant)
~3/4cup canned stewed tomatos
½ cup grated cheese (mild jack, cheddar or mozzarella

using 6-8 tortillas wrap a portion of mix into each ~ lay seam side down in a baking dish ~ sprinkle tops with a bit more shredded cheese and bake 15-20min
#13 of 78 Old 09-08-2005, 02:24 PM

You might like these sugar free raisin bars

and here are a few more:

Gingerbread Bars
These moist, delicious treats can be made gluten-free.

1 cup pitted prunes, packed
Boiling water
2 tablespoons oil
1/2 cup blackstrap molasses
1 egg or egg replacer
3/4 cup plain yogurt (dairy or nondairy)
2 cups brown rice, barley, or whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons powdered ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger

Place prunes in heatproof bowl. Pour in just enough boiling water to cover prunes. Let sit 15 to 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Oil a 9 x13-inch baking pan. Grind prunes and water to paste in food processor. Mix prunes, oil, and molasses together. Beat in egg and yogurt. In separate bowl, sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt together. Add flour mixture to prune mixture. Fold in crystallized ginger. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 25 minutes, or until knife inserted into center comes out dry. Cool before cutting.

Makes 2 dozen

Cranberry-Date Bars
These scrumptious vegan bars are full of fiber and nutrients.

2 cups pitted dates
1/2 cup dried cranberries
Boiling water
1 cup almonds or walnuts
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat, barley, or brown rice flour
1/2 cup flavorless oil (grapeseed, safflower, etc.)
3 tablespoons maple, brown rice syrup, or agave nectar
1/4 cup water

Place dates and cranberries in heatproof bowl. Pour over just enough boiling water to cover. Let sit 30 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350ºF. Oil a 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Place nuts and oats in food processor and grind to a coarse meal. Add flour and pulse to mix. Drizzle oil, sweetener, and water over top. Mix until combined. Dough should be slightly crumbly but hold together when pressed in your hand. Add more water if too dry. Add flour if too sticky.
Press 2/3 of dough into bottom of prepared pan to form a crust about 1/4 inch thick. Transfer remaining dough to a bowl and reserve for topping. Place date/cranberry mixture with water into food processor and puree. Spread date filling over bottom crust. Sprinkle remaining dough over top and press into date filling. Bake 30 to 35 minutes until edges are golden. Cool before cutting into squares.

Makes 24 bars

Carob-Nut Balls
These are great energy boosters. Keep a batch in your refrigerator and take a few along when you go out.

1/4 cup almonds
1/4 cup walnuts
1 cup raisins
4 dried figs or dates, pits removed
1/4 cup carob powder
2 teaspoons blackstrap molasses
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger or 1/8 teaspoon powdered
Pinch sea salt
About 2 tablespoons water
Carob powder or unsweetened shredded coconut for rolling

Place almonds and walnuts in food processor with metal blade and pulse to chop. Add raisins, figs or dates, molasses, vanilla, cardamom, ginger, and sea salt. Process until everything is uniformly chopped. Add water a little at a time until mixture holds together. Roll into 1-inch balls. Roll balls in shredded coconut or carob powder if desired. Keep balls refrigerated if you are plan to keep them around more than a day or two.

Makes about 2 dozen

Note: Other nuts or seeds can be substituted for the almonds and walnuts.

Sunflower-Sesame Molasses Cookies
These are cookies you can feel good about. This makes a big batch so store some in the freezer for later.

1 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
1/2 cup sesame seeds, toasted
1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup oil
1/3 cup maple syrup, brown rice syrup, agave nectar, or honey
1/3 cup blackstrap molasses
1 egg or egg replacer
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk or yogurt (dairy or nondairy)

Preheat oven to 350°F. Oil cookie sheet(s). Coarsely chop sunflower and sesame seeds in food processor, blender, or by hand. Place in large mixing bowl with flour, spice, salt, and baking soda and whisk together. In separate bowl, beat together oil, sweetener, molasses, egg, vanilla, and milk or yogurt. Add liquid ingredients to flour mixture. Stir until combined. Scoop by tablespoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheet. Bake 12 minutes, or until bottoms are golden. Cool on wire rack.

Makes 4 1/2 dozen

Note: If you don’t have pumpkin pie spice, use 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon cardamom, and 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#14 of 78 Old 09-08-2005, 10:00 PM

I'm so happy right now. I finally made tempeh that I like
BBQ Tempeh (I ate so much, I'm stuffed)
Saute half an onion. Add 1 c water and a couple t soy sauce. Add 1 pkg tempeh cut into strips and let boil until water is nearly gone. Add about 1 c bbq sauce (doesn't everything taste good with bbq sauce?) and heat through.
This recipe was easy and delicious, dh and I ate almost the whole thing (well, mostly me). Dc didn't really get into it, but they never really eat much at dinner

Mama to 3:
#15 of 78 Old 09-09-2005, 01:57 PM

I love BBQ tempeh. My kids also like it with honey mustard instead of BBQ sauce. We do about 1/3 c. mustard and 1/3 c. honey and mix it with about a cup of vegetable stock- then cook as described.

We also do a lot of grilled tempeh sandwiches. We cut the tempeh into thin slabs- about ½ or 1/3 the thickness of the tempeh and toast both sides in a dry non stick skillet or well seasoned cast iron pan. Sometimes we will add a bit of oil, but I try to add oil at the end versus cooking in oil to preserve the good qualities of it. Then we slather with salad dressing and sauerkraut for Reuben sandwiches, dip in hot miso-tamari broth for a French dip, or we put sliced cucumber, shredded carrot, baby spinach and peanut sauce on it in a pita, or my favorite is to eat with grilled onions and apples and a slice of cheddar cheese. Oh I am getting hungry for tempeh just thinking about it.
#16 of 78 Old 09-13-2005, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter

okay, my son is now in half day JK. can we all post some veggie school snack/lunch ideas? our school is completely nut free, so no nuts for us. here's what i got so far:

crackers and hummus
crackers and vegan cheese

sliced fruit and vegan yogurt

veggies and hummus/baba ganoush

half a sandwich

bagel w/ vegan cream cheese

mini muffins

#17 of 78 Old 09-13-2005, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
:

Thanks for all the yummy bar recipes, I have been wanted to venture into this kind of homemade snack myself.......

not to get off the sweet stuff, but I feel like I am in a rut. I am cooking pinto beans and rice tonight for dinner (again!) we love rice and beans and it is definately a staple dinner, but I feel like I need to spruce it up a bit. I usually cook it with pepper, onion, corn and spices......any other ideas for jazzing up the ole rice and beans?

happy september to you all!

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#18 of 78 Old 09-13-2005, 12:31 PM

Burritos - put rice, beans, sauteed diced veggies (onions, zucchini, corn, broccoli, etc.) and avocado.

Another of our favorite dinners is rice, beans, salsa mixed together. Top with shredded cheese and bake until cheese melts.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#19 of 78 Old 09-13-2005, 01:06 PM

Hello everyone. Just found this thread. Sounds like you are making yummy things!

For snack/lunch ideas, other than what was already listed, we send things like chickpeas, leftover rice and cut up fruit with DD. She eats eggs, so we send along hard boiled egg too. She is happy eating them everyday of her life. :LOL

Here is another sweet recipe that we just made last week. Very easy and very yummy!

Nut Butter Cookies

1/2 c pure maple syrup
1/2 c nut butter (we used almond)
1 t vanilla extract
1 c whole wheat pastry flour

Heat oven to 350. Cream together syrup, nut butter and vanilla. When smooth, add flour. Form 24 walnut-sized balls and place on cookie sheet. Flatten cookies with a fork (making a cross-hatch design). Bake on center rack for 12 min, or until bottoms are slightly brown. Remove from oven and let cool on sheet for 1 min before transfering to a cooling rack.

Very tasty!
#20 of 78 Old 09-13-2005, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for that idea, Cathe - I think I will be doing that tonight.......

Hopefully I will have some more exciting things to add to the thread soon!

homeschooling, earth loving Mama to 3 crazy, wonderful boys, ages 10 & 7, & 3 mos.,3 spirit babies                                Inch by inch, row by row.  Gonna make this garden grow  
#21 of 78 Old 09-13-2005, 01:44 PM

Just made some good vegan pancakes for the kids. I got it off the web at some point.

Mix together 1 c mango puree (I just used frozen mango pureed with water in my blender), 1/2 c coconut milk, 4 T shredded coconut, and 3/4 c flour. Cook like pancakes.

Mama to 3:
#22 of 78 Old 09-13-2005, 01:51 PM

For lunches on the go we do a lot of leftovers wrapped in a tortilla or pita. This works great for beans and rice type, stirfries, and even hearty salads. Most of that stuff tastes good cold the next day and the wrap or tortilla makes it portable.
#23 of 78 Old 09-13-2005, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clovergirl
new here and asking for help!
i'm looking for a healthy cookie or bar recipes to use as a filling snack for my 5 and 1yr olds... anyone have suggestions? they have been eating way too many tings and snap pea crisps these days. : i'm thinking something with nut butter for protein and maybe some dried fruit, vegan would be a plus.
i've searched my cookbooks and can't find anything to fit the bill...
Have you heard of Powerballs? The original recipe comesfrom Crescent Dragonmoon's cookbook, but I've modified it quite a bit.

1 cup nut butters (I recommend 2 or more varieties)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla flavoring/extract
2/3 - 1 cup liquid sweetener
1 - 1 1/4 cups dry soymilk powder or protein powder or a combination of the 2.

Mix the liquid ingredients together and slowly add the dry ingredien(s). Roll into walnut-sized balls. Stick into a container and keep in the refrigerator. You may need to refrigerate before you can roll the mix into balls.
#24 of 78 Old 09-13-2005, 08:41 PM

subscribing here. Thanks for this thread, ladies.
#25 of 78 Old 09-14-2005, 02:13 PM

Kids were not so crazy about the pancakes yesterday, I thought they were good.
But I made some really really good cookies this morning. And they're vegan!

Carob Drop Cookies (adapted for MDC from Feeding the Healthy Vegetarian Family)
Mix together 3/4 c maple syrup, 1/4 c molasses, 1/2 c vegetable oil, and 1 1/2 t vanilla.
Separately sift together 2 c ww flour, 2 T unsweetened cocoa or carob, 1 t baking powder, and 1/2 t salt.
Mix the dry into the wet.
Fold in 1 c coconut, 1 c chopped walnuts, and 1/2 c raisins.
Cook at 350 for 12-15 minutes. Cool on a rack.

Mama to 3:
#26 of 78 Old 09-14-2005, 08:14 PM

Isosmom - I love that book - his baked stuff especially. I haven't tried those but now I will . . . .

#27 of 78 Old 09-14-2005, 08:20 PM

Hey Cathe, I've got a question for you. I just ground up a bunch of sea veggies, arame, wakame, kombu, etc to use in my cooking for the extra good stuff just like you've suggested in your books. So my question is, how much of the sea veg should I add to my cooking. Most likely I'll be adding it to beans and soups. Thanks.

Mama to 3:
#28 of 78 Old 09-14-2005, 08:38 PM

I usually use 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon depending on what I am making and how much of an impact I want the sea veggies to have. For soup, its usually a tablespoon.

#29 of 78 Old 09-14-2005, 08:42 PM

Thanks!

Mama to 3:
#30 of 78 Old 09-15-2005, 05:41 PM

For yummy vegetarian lunch and snack ideas, check out www.laptoplunches.com/newsletters.html. You can either check out the recipes and lunch menus online or subscribe to the monthly newsletter. Great recipes, menus, and eco-tips. The September issue features vegetarian sandwich ideas.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page