websites with information on vegetarian nutrition? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-01-2005, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you know of any good websites with information on vegetarian nutrition (especially ones that a teen would like)?

DD talked us into becoming vegetarian because she is opposed to killing animals. For a few weeks, we haven't been eating meat in the home (although I wouldn't refuse it in someone's house). We eat animal products like dairy and honey, just not animal flesh.

Well, DH, DS and myself are doing just fine with this because we like beans and cheese and nuts and seeds, etc.... but DD herself is a VERY picky eater, and won't touch tofu, beans, legumes, cheese, tofu, most yogurt, most nuts, seeds, etc.... --- you get the picture. I am so afraid that she won't get enough protein and iron (she does like greens and milk, so I'm not too worried about calcium).

However, I don't want to be overprotective; she is 13, and I would not force her to eat anything, especially animal flesh! I would like to convince her with some evidence that she needs to branch out --- or she will get sick just eating pasta, rice, veggies, milk and pnb!

Jenny, reading & writing mama of dd(18), ds(6), and ds(3)
#2 of 5 Old 09-01-2005, 02:29 PM

www.vrg.org
They have a page specifically on nutrition for teens: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/teennutrition.htm

http://www.vegsoc.org/health/

www.peta.org

I became a vegetarian at age 14 and made the mistake of doing it the pizza-nachos-cookies way. I SO wish I had paid attention to my consumption of whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies, and legumes back then. There are plenty of healthier veggie convenience foods (the Amy's line of frozen food, burritos and soups; fantastic foods), too.
#3 of 5 Old 09-02-2005, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks NYCVeg!!!!!

I'm passing these onto DD; I hope they help her make better decisions!

Jenny, reading & writing mama of dd(18), ds(6), and ds(3)
#4 of 5 Old 09-02-2005, 05:53 PM

Not a website, but make sure to use whole-grain pasta (whole wheat, brown rice, corn quinoa) and whole-grain brown rice (or millet, quinoa, amaranth). If she would add some fruits to her diet, I think it looks pretty good (except for the milk but then I'm vegan).
#5 of 5 Old 09-02-2005, 07:10 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page