a basic vegitarian cookbook - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-04-2005, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OK so I have been a mission to elliminate meat form my diat but couldn't find any good vegitarian recipies and we are getting tired of scrabled eggs and the kids won't touch beans. So far every book I have picked up has fairly fancy stuff in it. nothing with basic evryday recipies. I found one with 5 ingredient recipies but lots of expensive convience stuff in those. Finally found something. OK it is written for teens but basic is basic. 100 easy kid friendly, familiar looking recipies. They also spell out how to use this stuff.

So if anyone is intrested . . .

"Ok So now you're a vegitarian" by Lauren Butts

(lots of eggs and cheese though so not very practical for vegans)

just thought I would share

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#2 of 6 Old 09-04-2005, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another good vegetarian book with easy to find ingredients is Lean and Luscious and Meatless. There are about 12 recipes in there that have become staples in our home, and probably 20 more that I make on occasion that are excellent. Easy to veganize too (we're vegan) but most of the recipes are vegetarian and include dairy products. But you can sub those out with vegan versions if you want.

Good stews, tasty side dishes, very hearty fare that even meat-eaters would like.
#3 of 6 Old 09-04-2005, 08:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
thanks

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#4 of 6 Old 09-06-2005, 01:30 PM

My favorite is Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison. There are sections with lots of basic tips on how to cook all types of grains, beans, veggies, etc. You can go to the store or farmers market and buy something you have never heard of with complete confidence- she will definitely have a simple preparation suggestion. Besides all the basics, the rest of the recipes are simple and delicious.
#5 of 6 Old 09-06-2005, 02:09 PM

I really liked the Molly Katzen cookbooks (The new Moosewood cookbook)
There's a ton of good comfort-food staples there
I also really love all of the Vegetarian Times cookbooks.

What I would suggest is a trip to the library. Every library i've been to had a huge vegetarian cookbook section that would send me home with my arms full :LOL
#6 of 6 Old 09-06-2005, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G&B'sMama
My favorite is Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone by Deborah Madison. There are sections with lots of basic tips on how to cook all types of grains, beans, veggies, etc. You can go to the store or farmers market and buy something you have never heard of with complete confidence- she will definitely have a simple preparation suggestion. Besides all the basics, the rest of the recipes are simple and delicious.
:

I use this book all the time and we're not even vegetarians. There are some really simple recipes as well as some that take a little more work, but overall it's the best vegetarian cookbook I've ever used.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page