14 month old never eats I need veggie ideas - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-23-2005, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok my DS is 14 moths and in the bottom 25 percent of weight he weighs 21 pounds and Dr wants it raised but he doesnt eat...we are a veggie family and I need help with proteins for him to eat....I am at a loss and kinda freaking out.....what do I make that he will eat and that will provide his nutrients...HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2005, 12:58 AM

My son is a sucker for homemade smoothies, and I can put in carrots, broccoli and the like and he has nooo idea. Just add in whatever veggies you have. I generally make strawberry-raspberry-blackberry-banana smoothies with whole fat yogurt. My son sucks em down

I would not overly concerned with the charts, as they are for forumla fed babies. Did your doc express a concern?

:

Teach your children about the global water crisis
Visit Dream Village to learn more | Check out Saved by the Well on Amazon! | SBTW Trailer!
Old 09-23-2005, 02:04 AM - Thread Starter

NO NO REAL CONCERN BUT SINCE i AM PREGGO AND NOT PRODUCING MILK i WORRY ALL THE TIME...I have tried smoothies he a no go...but thanks for the idea
Old 09-23-2005, 03:29 AM

Hi,

Will he eat macaroni and cheese or scrambled eggs?
We are vegetarian's too and my daughter will eat the above.
I put broccoli puree in both---or some shredded zucchini.
Does he like muffins?--you can add corn or carrot?
What about avocado and banana mashed with some hidden veggie like turnip mashed in there or sweet potato??
I also make a lentil cheese loaf and put a ton of veggies in. I have the recipie if you want. It's like a veggie meatloaf--really yummy.

Sage likes this:

Vegetable Squares

1 copy of any 'cooked' mixed vegetables ( frozen peas corn kernals and carrots)
1 cup of Flour
2 eggs
1 cup of grated cheese
1/2 finely chopped onion

1/2 cup of milk Mix all ingredients together. Spoon into a cake pan. I've used the regular 8x8 Cook at 400C for about 35 minutes or until golden brown. Alllow to cool and cut into squares.

These only last 2 days, not sure how long they will keep. Probably about 3 days in the fridge

I hope that helps!
Old 09-23-2005, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Does he like beans - kid friendly ideas are split pea soup, lentil soup, minestrone, black bean and corn, squash and white bean (I have recipes for all of those if you need them).

My girls always loved (and still do) cheesy rice. Put some hot brown rice in a bowl, stir in a little olive oil and some shredded cheese. It's like mac and cheese but healthier.

How about nuts and seeds - you can grind them in a coffee grinder or blender and stir into oatmeal or other cereal, sprinkle over grains, also add to baked goods for extra protein and essential fatty acids.

If you eat eggs, they are a good source of protein and nutrients.

Also, sprinkle some nuritional yeast flakes on everything he eats.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 09-25-2005, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

Cathe he loved minestroni soup when we ate out once...I would love that recipie...Thank you for the thoughts I am going to try the cheese rice tommoro
Old 09-25-2005, 02:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Minestrone Soup

Almost any combination of vegetables can be used in this soup. Use whatever your children like best.

1 medium onion, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 stalk celery, minced
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 bay leaf
6 cups vegetable stock or water
1/4 cup crushed hiziki (optional)
1 large carrot, diced
1 cup sliced green beans (1/2-inch pieces)
1/2 cup chopped cauliflower
1/2 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
4 cups diced tomatoes (fresh or canned) with juice
2 cups cooked adzuki beans (see below)
1/2 cup minced kale, collards, or other leafy greens
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
black pepper to taste
8 ounces whole grain pasta noodles (uncooked)
1 tablespoon miso

Place onion, garlic, celery, and oil in large soup pot. Sauté vegetables 5 to 10 minutes over low heat, or until they are soft. Stir in basil, oregano, fennel, and bay leaf. Add water, hiziki, carrots, green beans, and cauliflower. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, or until vegetables are soft. Add corn, tomatoes, cooked adzuki beans, greens, parsley, salt, black pepper, and noodles. Simmer 5 to 10 minutes, or until pasta is tender but not mushy. Remove from heat. Stir in miso. Serve with grated parmesean cheese if desired.

Yield: 8 to 10 servings

Note: Cook your own adzuki beans as follows, or use canned beans. Kidney or pinto beans also work well in this soup.

Cooking Adzuki Beans

Place 1 cup adzuki beans, 4 cups water, and 1/2 strip kombu (optional) in heavy pan. Cover and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer 50 minutes, or until beans are tender.

Yield: About 2 1/2 cups

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  

User Tag List