Need advice from vegetarians, or at least those who know more than me :) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-10-2003, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay ladies, I need some advice from you. I need some high protein foods that are not meat. I am in the midst of a excercise/weight lifting contest and eat 6 times a day and if I don't get enough protein I drag. I talked with my dietician and am supposed to get about 20 grams of protein per serving. And about the same in carbs. But I find myself eating tons of chicken and lean meat to meet my quota. Now i feel all crappy cause my body is not used to that much meat. I can feel a differentce the days i am shovelling in the meat. I would like to get my diet to little or no meat, but i am not sure what the best form of high protein vegetarian food are? ANy one with some insight?
#2 of 6 Old 01-10-2003, 10:41 PM

Two good ideas:

1. Make a fruit smoothie w/ yogurt/tofu/soy milk/brewer's yeast. I love my blueberry/strawberry one. I buy frozen fruit and use that. I'll also add a frozen banana if I have one. Makes it a little more foamy. I'll also put some honey in it if I want it sweeter. I make it in the blender. Sometimes too I'll add some flaxseed or avocado.

2. I just had this today...Pete's tofu2go. It's in a green package. I had the lemon pepper tofu w/ mango chipotle sauce. It's marketed as a finger food and no cooking require. I did warm up the tofu. It was excellent! A serving size is 2 big chunks (13 grams of protein) but you could easily eat 3 or 4. If you figure 1/2 of 13 that ~7 grams of protein....so there you go! Really I didn't think it'd be good but it was super super tasty.

Hope this helps!

Stacy
#3 of 6 Old 01-10-2003, 11:56 PM

The smoothies really are a great idea if you can find good high quality veg protein powder.
#4 of 6 Old 01-11-2003, 02:46 AM

beans, beans, the musical fruit...
#5 of 6 Old 01-11-2003, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your fast responsed. I like tofu, but never really knew how to cook it, except in smoothies. I think I will go get a cook boook today. I really appreciate all of you fast responses. Thanks a bunch! Jo
#6 of 6 Old 01-12-2003, 12:41 AM

I get soy protein powder from GNC and blend it up with fresh fruit and skim milk. There is over 30 grams of protein in one shake.

Take Care,
Steph

Stephany

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page