Did anyone skip cereal and move straight to fruits and veggies? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 11-18-2005, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Although my kiddo isn't old enough to do anything yet (although my ped is encouraging cereal) I'm thinking of skipping cereal all together and moving to fruits and veggies when he starts eating anything other than bmilk.

Did anyone do this and how did it work out? Is there any info floating around out there about doing this?

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 34 Old 11-18-2005, 03:04 PM

How old is the baby? Are you nursing?

Yes I know lots of people who start cereals later.

Here is a link if you are nursing
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50
#3 of 34 Old 11-18-2005, 03:32 PM

From what I've read, I think the vast majority of moms around here skip the cereal and go straight to healthier food! I don't really see why people think processed, refined, packaged food (i.e., cereal) is a good choice for babies. I think kellymom (link above) has some good info on why grains are a particularly bad choice for early foods--infant tummies are not designed to digest them.

When this babe (currently cooking--see my sig) is old enough, I'm not only going to skip the cereal, but also the jarred and processed baby food. When babies are REALLY ready to eat, they can eat small chunks of soft, REAL foods--avocado, banana, sweet potato, etc. If it has to go in a blender and be processed to the point where it's almost liquid, then baby is probably not, IMO, really ready to eat it. Solids in the first year are mostly about exploration anyway--most bf babes still get the vast majority of their nutrition from breastmilk.
#4 of 34 Old 11-18-2005, 03:46 PM

I feel it is better to skip cereal especially if you are still breastfeeding. Cereal tends to fill them up and can keep them from feeding as often. I have seen a lot of women lose their milk supply due to cereal. It usually binds them and they end up getting too much iron. Stick with making your food. Puree sweet potatoes, carrots, prunes, and squash as early intro to foods. My daughter loves her fruits and veggies more than anything else because of this and so does my 6 yr old neice. (Whom I raised for the first two years of her life.) My nephew ate cereal and can't seem to eat veggies, fruit, or anything else healthy, he also can't seem to eat anything without ketchup (Heinz Sp for it) or syrup. He's 8 and it is absolutely gross watching him eat.
#5 of 34 Old 11-18-2005, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
we skipped the cereals both times around, and started with green veggies, then other veggies, then some grains (brown rice, millet), fruits, then more grains (quinoa, etc), then legumes

all our "cereals" were whole grains that i ground in my coffee grinder (i don't drink coffee, i just use it for grinding grains and spices ), then cooked with water or breastmilk on low heat. ditto with the fruits and veggies.. no jarred stuff here, just raw veggie, steamed and mashed with BM

our naturopath suggested skipping the cereals and going right to mashed veggies.. she said that cereals can be hard to digest.

oh, and remember to start off very slow... just a taste here and there to start.. work up to real "meals" by a year or 18 mos.. whenever baby is interested.

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
#6 of 34 Old 11-18-2005, 03:51 PM

No cereal here, unless you count cheerios

After a lot of reading, thinking and a little personal experience, I've come to the conclusion that babies are not ready for soilds until they can self-feed. Baby cereal is a useless nasty filler.

-Angela
#7 of 34 Old 11-18-2005, 04:49 PM

We also skipped it and just followed dd's cues for solids. She hated baby food so I introduced simple finger foods around 9 months. She didn't really get into eating ff until around 11 months. Thankfully I don't live near my in-laws, I think that would've driven them batty.
#8 of 34 Old 11-18-2005, 04:52 PM

I actually went to a Whole Foods Baby Lecture and they said to wait iwht grains and cereals untill all the fruits and veggies have been tackled.
That siad, my 8 month old (today!!) hates food...anyhting other than BM is so not cool to him.
Follow your babe's cues...
#9 of 34 Old 11-18-2005, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley4
all our "cereals" were whole grains that i ground in my coffee grinder (i don't drink coffee, i just use it for grinding grains and spices ), then cooked with water or breastmilk on low heat.
What she said.

SuperPorridge, baby! Not until the kiddo was a wee bit older and interested in solids, though, of course. But since it was one of his first foods (besides the usual banana, avocado, sweet potato), he still scarfs it down every morning, despite the fact that it's chock-full of healthful stuff. Murrrr-hahahahahaha!!!

~nick
#10 of 34 Old 11-18-2005, 05:44 PM

Packaged cereals are icky. They're nothing but overly processed white rice, stripped of anything that might have actually been healthy to begin with, then loaded up with artificial vitamins. We skipped cereal and went straight to fruits and veggies. DD never had any baby cereal whatsoever. It's junk food with vitamins added - it's like feeding them white bread instead of whole grain. Like the PP's said, if you want your DS to have grains, grind them up yourself so he'll get the whole grain.
#11 of 34 Old 11-18-2005, 06:37 PM

No cereal here. I figure if I don't want to eat it, why would ds??
:
#12 of 34 Old 11-18-2005, 06:47 PM

we skipped cereal. started with bananas and avocados if i remember right. she also liked squash and sweet potato.
#13 of 34 Old 11-18-2005, 06:55 PM

DS is five months and he obviously hasn't started solids yet, but when we do, i'm definitely skipping the cereal. it's hard for babies to digest with all the added iron and other "artificial" vitamins and minerals, and i can't imagine it tastes good.

my hope is to be able to wait to start solids until he is ready to eat soft chunks of vegetables, but i don't know if that will happen or not. he will be at least six months and a week (i want to wait til after Christmas to start) before i even consider starting and i hope to wait longer than that.

the *only* way i would do cereal is with BM mixed in, but i'm not sure what would convince me that i need to do that

carrie
#14 of 34 Old 11-18-2005, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by just6fish
No cereal here. I figure if I don't want to eat it, why would ds??
:
I totally agree with this. That rice cereal always looked really gross to me. We skipped that because it's empty calories, and I heard it was very constipating.
#15 of 34 Old 11-18-2005, 08:21 PM

my DS is also 5 mos. and i have been pondering this question for the future. i've heard a few friends say that the baby cereal tastes like cardboard paste, yet wonder why they continued to feed it to their poor kids! : hello? i was also worried about the iron in those cereals, since my friend's (formula-fed) baby spent the first 3-4 months of her life miserable and constipated....and taking karo syrup with her formula to "ease" things. it just all seemed kinda wrong. there are so many beautiful fruits and veggies out there that we know are healthy and vital to baby's well-being so i'm definitely going to skip the cereal. thanks, ladies.

Veg mama to DS (6/05) and DD (10/08) :
#16 of 34 Old 11-18-2005, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriedaway
it's hard for babies to digest with all the added iron and other "artificial" vitamins and minerals, and i can't imagine it tastes good.
Oh, my. Have you smelled that stuff? Just.... wow--I gagged.
#17 of 34 Old 11-19-2005, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
No cereal here, unless you count cheerios

After a lot of reading, thinking and a little personal experience, I've come to the conclusion that babies are not ready for soilds until they can self-feed. Baby cereal is a useless nasty filler.

-Angela
:

Another momma here that skipped cereal and babyfood. Dd wasn't really intreasted in solids until 9-10 months, so we just gave her table food when she started eating.

Meghan : Kayla~ 10/19/04 Jack~ 5/27/07
Evelyn~ 10/9/10

#18 of 34 Old 11-19-2005, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Kayla
:

Another momma here that skipped cereal and babyfood. Dd wasn't really intreasted in solids until 9-10 months, so we just gave her table food when she started eating.
Same here. Dd will be a year old next month and she still only shows a mild interest in solid food. Or some days she'll eat what seems like a lot, (for her), and other days nothing at all. Oh, she had mushroom risotto for dinner tonite and LOVED it.
#19 of 34 Old 11-19-2005, 02:31 AM

my baby is still mostly ebf, but she does get some solids sometimes. she's only had cereal twice, so i pretty much skipped that step. she's almost 10 months old and can eat chunks of things just fine.
#20 of 34 Old 11-19-2005, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We skipped commercial cereals too. Started with mashed (not totally pureed) foods and ds liked them so so. Realized the more lumpy they were the more he liked them. By seven months he was self-feeding soft chunks of fruits and veggies (I have a very unusual bf baby who loves his solids and his boobies!). The only cereals he's had have been homemade ones with various grains (other than oatios and the like which he got much later as finger food) - I toast them and grind them and cook them - it's simple and WAY healthier then the processed refined cereals they sell at the store. Yuck!

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#21 of 34 Old 11-19-2005, 07:36 PM

We're starting with fruits and veggies, too. Right at 7 mo ds started showing lots of interest...I mash up banana/avocado etc. (not puree) and he's very interested in trying to self-feed. Would prefer to put the whole banana in his mouth and gnaw on it

I don't plan to introduce grains for quite awhile, but when I do, we'll grind our own whole grains and soak them first. Makes them much more digestible.

It's amazing to me how much people pay for such gross and nutrient free baby food. What a racket!
#22 of 34 Old 11-19-2005, 09:19 PM

We skip baby food altogether. My kids don't eat until they start grabbing table food. That's how my mom did it. lol My first ds didn't each much till he was about 10 mos old. #2 started grabbing food off plates at 5 mos. I have a feeling #3 is going to be more like #1, but that's purely speculation. He's only 2 mos old.
#23 of 34 Old 11-19-2005, 09:47 PM

I did cereal twice, DD hated it and it hyped her up and she wanted to play for hours and hours (I gave it to her at night). We went to veggies the next day and she has been much happier.
#24 of 34 Old 11-20-2005, 05:46 PM

You'll find that most mommas here skip cereals altogether.

Dd started eating baby-ish foods (some mashed, some pureed but with tiny chunks in it) around 7 1/2 or 8 months, and started eating table foods around 9 months. She LOOOOOOVES beans, quinoa and millet, any veggies you could think to give her, spicy foods, etc. My ds was started on rice cereal at 4 months because it's what the pediatrician said we had to do (and we were new parents and wanted to do things 'right' and all...and then we learned from our mistakes) and now he fights us to eat a simple peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Anything with more flavor is 'too much' for him. Sigh.

Live and learn!
#25 of 34 Old 11-20-2005, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovemyBoo
We also skipped it and just followed dd's cues for solids. She hated baby food so I introduced simple finger foods around 9 months. She didn't really get into eating ff until around 11 months. Thankfully I don't live near my in-laws, I think that would've driven them batty.
This was us to a T! It was actually really nice skipping the whole messy pureed foods thing.

I think his first food was sweet potatoes.
#26 of 34 Old 11-20-2005, 09:21 PM

I'm from Germany and no one starts their babies on cereal there. Not anyone I've ever met anyway. My daughter started on banananas and was fine. I believe the recommendations for starting solids are just culturally justified, they're different in every country to suit whatever staple food people eat there.

edited because I wanted to add that I also don't see a problem with grains in general.....but white rice flour?! Who on earth invented that?
#27 of 34 Old 11-20-2005, 10:31 PM

I didn't know a lot of what I read here...I find the more i learn about all of this there is 10 X more than I know waiting to be learned. I started both my kiddos on cereal...thats what I thought I was "supposes" to do...neither liked it too well so I was always butting three times as much bannanas in it that there was ceral to make it taste better. With both of them I never made it through a whole box of cereal...always tried a jar or two of food after that and they hated that too. So I usually just went to chunks of foods off my plate ....funny how even though I didn't know most of this stuff just following my dc ques I pretty much ended up doing the right thing.
#28 of 34 Old 11-21-2005, 02:58 PM

My dd is now 6 months and has yet to have any solids. I don't want to go the cereal route. We did with ds and I remember having to try 3-4 kinds before I found one that he would eat. But I find myself worrying about the iron issue. Even Dr. Sears recommends not waiting much past 7 months for solids and then goes on to say that the best source of iron is meat. I know there are other sources of iron but so many of them would be for an older baby so I worry about my 6-9 month old getting enough iron. I think my ds was around 8-9 months when I introduced black beans and tofu.

Karen - spouse to dh for 11 years, mama to ds (Nov '02), dd (May '05) and ds and dd (Jun '08)

#29 of 34 Old 11-21-2005, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

thanks so much for all the thoughtful replies
#30 of 34 Old 11-21-2005, 06:25 PM

Just wanted to add - we use one of those nets for baby's food and it has been an easy (and neat, not that I am admitting to being lazy - LOL) way for DD to taste whatever (almost) we are eating. I'll put apple, or beans, or cantalope (she loves!), or brown rice, or even meat in it and she will chew away. It was also great when she was teething with ice in it.

I spoon fed DS's traditional baby foods with no problem - but DD is NOT interested in being spoon fed mush. She keeps those lips closed but grabs whatever she can off our plates.

Tanya
Mom to John (age 11), James (age 9) & Katherine (age 5)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page