vegetarian without soy or lentils - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-14-2005, 02:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a now and then vegetarian. I've recently given up meat again. I'm trying to find simple, satisfying recipes, but it seems that all of the cookbooks I find are really heavy into soy products-which we don't eat-or have an unnatural focus on lentils-which I find umm repugnant. Where can I find normal recipes that don't rely on these things and don't require major time investment or weird seasonings (I'm in my 5th month of morning sickness).

Also, Ben has food allergies, so tomatoes, citrus, strawberries, and vinegar are not good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2005, 06:04 AM

i'm not veg, but we're off of dairy, soy and wheat. So, anyways, i find some tastey healthy palatable recipes on raw vegan websites that we can actually eat on our diet. there's not much time investment in eating raw (unless you get into sprouting, and most of that time is spent waiting, not actually doing anything). it's worth a google for raw vegan recipes to see if anything appeals.

gl!

heartbeat.gif

Old 12-15-2005, 01:17 AM

Do you like other beans/legumes? We eat a lot of black beans, pinto beans, anasazi, navy, etc. We also cook with seitan (wheat gluten) a lot as a protein source. You would need to avoid most processed meat substitutes, as they usually (although not always) contain soy protein.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

Yes we eat other beans and legumes, I just despise lentils. We eat whole foods, so no processed anything, especially meat substitutes. If I wanted meat, I'd eat it-which is why I've been off and on veggie, kwim?

I did plan this week's menu from one of my trusty cookbooks, and it's really a very good plan. tonight we had "Taco Dip" which I turned into a bit more of a taco salad. I topped mine with beans and Derek's with turkey, and Ben's with nothing, and everyone is happy. Tomorrow is Chinese veggie rolls and sesame snow peas, mmmmmmm. Good stuff. I hadn't realized how veggie friendly this particular cookbook is.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchier
Yes we eat other beans and legumes, I just despise lentils. We eat whole foods, so no processed anything, especially meat substitutes. If I wanted meat, I'd eat it-which is why I've been off and on veggie, kwim?
Then you might like Fabulous Beans and More Fabulous Beans by Barb bloomfield. there are some lentil recipes, most mostly other bean recipes. Also, the Food Allergy Survival Guide. which has recipes that don't use wheat, egg, dairy, or soy or a host of other commonly allergenic foods (http://www.foodallergysurvivalguide.com/)

As a side note, not everyone uses meat analogues because they really want meat. I know plenty of dedicated veg*ns (myself included) who use them on occasion simply because they are quick and tasty.... It's been more than 20 years since i have had a hamburger, and to me the appeal of Gardenburgers, etc., is not that they are meat like, since I can't even recall what meat tastes like.

User Tag List