favorite vegan cookie recipe? please share! - Mothering Forums
Vegetarian and Vegan > favorite vegan cookie recipe? please share!
kangamitroo's Avatar kangamitroo 05:45 PM 03-06-2006
can your recipe fool my carnivorous, vegan-phobic husband?

i make delicious chocolate chip cookies...but can no longer eat eggs.
i know you can sub flax meal and water in quick breads, but does this change cookie texture?

i know a vegan diet means healthier eating, but my sweet tooth can't survive on dried fruit alone. thanks, mamas!

richella's Avatar richella 02:31 AM 03-07-2006
I've never found a cookie recipe that could not work with Ener-G Egg Replacer. It also works for quick breads. (I would not try it for a cake, though.) It's a powder you can get at most any hfs.

The easiest cookies to make vegan are the short bread types. Choc. chips are easy too. I have so many I can't choose a fave. I'll pick some to post maybe tomorrow.
VikingKvinna's Avatar VikingKvinna 12:56 PM 03-07-2006
I've just discovered this one and have made three batches in about as many weeks. They are fantastic. Great texture, awesome taste -- I ate no fewer than eleven of them yesterday. :

http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbreci...p?RecipeID=111

HTH!
~Nick
Erin Pavlina's Avatar Erin Pavlina 01:56 PM 03-07-2006
Here's my recipe for Giant Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies. All my non-vegan friends love this.

Crispy on the edges and soft in the middle. Sure to please everyone in the family. Try them with chocolate chips too.

1 cup vegan margarine, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Egg replacer for 2 eggs
1-1/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups oats
1-1/2 cups raisins
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In a large mixing bowl, beat margarine, brown sugar, sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add egg replacer eggs and beat until well blended. In another bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add to margarine mixture until well blended. Stir in oats, raisins, and nuts (if using). On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (or a nonstick cookie sheet) drop the dough by 1/4 cupfuls and pat down slightly. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Let stand for 3 minutes before removing from baking sheet.

Makes 2 dozen giant cookies

Variations:
For smaller cookies, drop the dough by tablespoons onto the baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Makes 5 dozen.
shelley4's Avatar shelley4 02:23 PM 03-07-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingKvinna
I've just discovered this one and have made three batches in about as many weeks. They are fantastic. Great texture, awesome taste -- I ate no fewer than eleven of them yesterday. :

http://www.theppk.com/recipes/dbreci...p?RecipeID=111

HTH!
~Nick

okay, i should just not read this thread.. i just made these cookies and OMG!!!!!!!!!!!! FAB! dreena burton's cookbook, Vive Le Vegan, has a great, and more healthy cookie recipes. i love her Energy Cookies!
NCHIN's Avatar NCHIN 01:33 PM 03-15-2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin Pavlina
Here's my recipe for Giant Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies. All my non-vegan friends love this.

Crispy on the edges and soft in the middle. Sure to please everyone in the family. Try them with chocolate chips too.

1 cup vegan margarine, softened
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Egg replacer for 2 eggs
1-1/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 cups oats
1-1/2 cups raisins
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In a large mixing bowl, beat margarine, brown sugar, sugar, and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add egg replacer eggs and beat until well blended. In another bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Gradually add to margarine mixture until well blended. Stir in oats, raisins, and nuts (if using). On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (or a nonstick cookie sheet) drop the dough by 1/4 cupfuls and pat down slightly. Bake for 15-17 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Let stand for 3 minutes before removing from baking sheet.

Makes 2 dozen giant cookies

Variations:
For smaller cookies, drop the dough by tablespoons onto the baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Makes 5 dozen.
I made these a few nights ago. They were FANTASTIC!
I followed the recipe exactly. I did not add Chocolate Chips but I did add Walnuts. The only thing I would change is the amount of sugar. They were a little too sweet for our families taste but other than that they were Perfect!
They store very well also. Thanks so much for sharing!
Erin Pavlina's Avatar Erin Pavlina 09:21 PM 03-15-2006
Oh good I'm glad you liked the recipe! Now I'm craving some big time!
mamatosage's Avatar mamatosage 11:50 PM 03-15-2006
These are addictive and amazing. Like a square more than a cookie.

Candy Bars

1/2 cup peanut butter or almond butter
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 cup powdered soy milk
1/4 cup chopped prunes
1/4 cup chopped figs ( or apricots)
2 tbsp raisins ( or more)
2 tbsp coconut
2 tbsp sesame seeds

Mix together and spread in a lightly greased pan (one that you don't worry about cutting). Fridge it for 1 hour. Cut into squares. Store cold until you trek out (it'll keep them alive longer).
Up