Mothering Forum banner

Vegetarian Chili

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  princess buttercup 
#1 ·
I'm sure I could find this in the archives, but my server's so slow it takes forever to do searches.

Any good recipes out there? (with no special chile sauces that I'll never find here) I want to use green peppers in it.

#3 ·
To tell you the truth, I don't really follow a recipe for chili these days, at least not one that requires accurate measurements. Here's what I do:

Chop two large onions, mince several cloves of garlic. Saute in a large pot in some olive oil until onions are golden.

Chop up some peppers - we generally like to use red and yellow in addition to green, we often use two of each. Throw them in the pot and saute for a little bit.

Add two cans each of kidney beans and black beans, drained and rinsed. Add several large cans of canned tomatoes. Add a small bag of frozen corn.

We like to add seitan (wheat gluten), but you could also use drained and pressed tofu. It's good without though. Or you could use TVP, or cooked bulgur wheat.

Add a couple of tablespoons of chili powder, or to taste. Start with a smaller quantity and increase as needed until it tastes right to you. Salt to taste. We sometimes add a tbsp. of cocoa powder, and sometimes a couple tbsp. of vodka (which cooks off but releases the aromatics in the tomatoes).

Simmer until it smells really good and it's done! Serve with cornbread and a green vegetable or two.

#6 ·
I really like the simply organic vegetarian chili spice mix. I use dry beans like pintos, pink, red or black..whatever I have. For the tomatoes I use Muir Glen fire roasted tomatoes. It's great for guests..yummy. Once your beans are cooked you can throw it in the crockpot to cook all day, too.

Heather

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.