Quick, easy vegetarian meals for tired pregnant mama - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-17-2006, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I fell off the veggie bandwagon in the first tri. I hadn't been eating vegetarian for long, hadn't gotten into an easy groove yet, and was too tired to keep trying. I haven't been eating much meat but I'd rather not eat any. I converted back a week ago but truthfully I don't feel like I have the energy for meal planning and continuing to figure out my options, making sure I get all the nutrients I need etc. I'm pregnant, am a full time student,and have two small children I spend all of my time with when I'm not in class. I'm TIRED!!! I would love any quick and easy meal ideas you ladies are willing to offer. I love to try new things and I'm not picky at all. I want to avoid most soy but am highly interested in beans and legumes. Protien rich meals are great. I'm also lacto ovo at this point (I hope to go vegan at some point but this is not the time). Kid friendly is a plus but not crucial. My monkeys will try almost anything, although now that I think of it my husband is about as picky as a child. TIA for all of your suggestions.
#2 of 5 Old 03-18-2006, 01:58 AM

Here is my favorite and very easy recipie (and it is super tasty - kids wil eat it!)

Tortilla Soup
2 cans Progresso Lentil soup (or similar)
2 cups cooked rice
cheddar cheese (amount varies - try 1/2 cup or so, grated)
tortilla chips

Cook the rice, when done dump in the soup and heat it up. Once warm mix in some cheddar cheese until melted. Top each bowl with smashed up tortilla chips.

If you are briming with energy a diced onion or some japalenos tossed on top make a tasty edition.

Often when I cook rice I cook extra so one night I can make soup, another night use it for stir fry, another night with beans, etc.

Also easy:
Black Beans (served with cooked rice)
2 cans black beans
Chopped onion
chopped green pepper
one can (or fresh) chopped tomatoes

Cook the onions and green pepper for a few minutes, dump in the tomatoes for a few minutes, then add the beans and cook through. Serve with rice, cheese, hot sauce, or other fixins.

Also:
Baked potato
Canned veggie chili - dump on top of the potato, garnish with whatever is handy (e.g. cheese, hot sauce, sour cream, dried chives).

For veggies when really pressed for time canned peas (La Seur with the onions and mushrooms are popular with 2.5 y/o DS), canned corn, fresh carrots (just toss in boiling water to cook) are all very easy options.

Grilled portabella mushrooms: lightly oil a baking pan that will hold the mushrooms. Put in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes. (I cook the mushrooms in a small pan that fits in our toaster over. Faster and easier than heating up the big oven). Serve with other veggies, or rice, or whatever else is handy.
#3 of 5 Old 03-18-2006, 02:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Okay, this is a tofu one. I use instant noodle soups (like ramen, but veg, try Thai Kitchen or the like). Start by cubing about 1/3 block of tofu and boil in about an inch of water. If you want, add a carrot chopped fine or whatever greens you have in the house. You only need to boil a few minutes. Add the soup mix. cook per directions. total prep time about 10 mins. top w/ green onion if you want. Of course if you don't want the soy you can do it with veggies only, but I like the protein boost.

Keep nut butters on hand. I really depended on them in pg. With bread, apple slices, celery, etc. Or in cookies.

Keep instant oatmeal around. I actually prefer the one-minute kind, it usually has less added sugar. But instant if you are too tired to wait a minute.

Nut milk. Easy snack.

Taco salad? Use taco flavored Ground Round. Saute, toss it on a pile of chips and lettuce. Top w/ diced tomatoes, salsa, cheese/sour cream if you must, olives.

hth
#4 of 5 Old 03-18-2006, 11:00 AM

You might try to make meals with enough leftovers that you can freeze the extras for the days you are struggling.

I also discovered the world of frozen veggies while pregnant and it made my life easier. You can make lots of variations with mininal effort using the pre-cut veggies... stirfry, curry, stews, soup, casserole, and "pot pie". I would also alter canned soups, such as adding frozen potatoes, peas & carrots, green beans, and seitan to butternut squash soup. I try to keep a varied diet, part of it is eating at least 5 different veggies per meals.

Another favorite: Anything on top of a baked potato. Variation 1. Canned black beans (rinse before cooking) with onions, garlic, mushrooms, and canned or fresh tomatoes; heart of romaine lettuce, black olives, avocado, salsa and some cheese (cheddar, jack, or even cream cheese).
Variation 2. Canned lentils (rinse before cooking) with garam masala (cooking spice- could use curry powder, too), onion, carrots, green beans, peas, and garlic. Top with coconut milk and raw cashews.
Both of these also go great over rice.
#5 of 5 Old 03-20-2006, 01:56 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I second soups - they are easy to make and usually last for several meals. Split pea, minestrone, black bean, lentil, etc. just through the stuff in and let it cook.

STir fries are easy also pasta, scrambled eggs, burritos.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page