April Vegetarian and Vegan Livin' Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 128 Old 04-18-2006, 02:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lizzo, my toddler loves tortilla chips also. I give them to him dipped in guacamole, he loves it!

And the avocado has lots of good fats for him. I worry about him getting enough fat/protein as some days he seems to subsist on fruit and bread/crackers/chips. (And Breastmilk!)

I think he also likes the garlic & onion in the guacamole. He seems to like strong tastes. The other fatty food he eats are olives! Black, green, he loves them both. My mom thought it was weird for a baby to like olives but both DH & I love them so it is in his blood I guess.

Mommy to DS Adrian 8/10/04 and DD Geneva 9/02/09
#62 of 128 Old 04-18-2006, 01:25 PM

My daughter totally loves the blue corn tortilla chips but with hummus! I made an awesome oriental style noddle stir fry creation...baby corn, okra, pea pods, kale, noodles of course....it was yummy. If anyone has super easy bean recipes i would love to try some different stuff! I get in ruts with burrito style meals and bean soups
#63 of 128 Old 04-18-2006, 02:39 PM

Hey. What we did for easter I stir fry the steak strips. My bil made us vegan m.potatoes w.vegies. I tried to make it simple at the in laws (there was about 15 ppl).

Ok so I made this yummy dinner lastnight.
you take the chicken stripes put the in a ziplock bag w/flour,salt and pepper.
Then you heat the oil in a skillet untill it's golden brown. Remove from the heat cover w/foil on to a plate. You satue 1 whole onion, stir in 1 cup of v.broth 1 tsp lemon zest 2 tbsp lemon juice for 4 min. Pur that over the chicken. in the same skillet take 1 tbsp of butter,crapers and parsley mix togather pur it over the chicken.

we had mix veggies w/it and a b.potato.
#64 of 128 Old 04-18-2006, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
i made home made whole wheat pitas today, for the first time ever. they turned out great, i'm so proud of myself!

i'd love to move towards making all my own breads, it's just a time issue for me right now. i am so in awe of all you mommas who make everything from scratch. that's just such a dream for me!

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
#65 of 128 Old 04-18-2006, 08:47 PM

Wow- so much to reply to. Ok, I'll dive in.

Zjande- great to see you here I love what you had to say about explaining to kids about not eating animals. I hadn't thought of PETA coloring books, great idea I have been struggling with how to explain our diet to my 3 yo ds- HE is the only one of us to eat meat (I won't go into detail since I've explained it before, but poor growth, allergies, etc)- and I plan to phase it out asap. We are otherwise vegan now due to dairy and egg allergies.

On one hand, I want it to be my children's choice if they decide to become veg or not, and nor force it on them, yet obviously we are going to teach them about compassionate eating. I would love to hear other people's thoughts on that (children's choice).

Oh, and we have some good SDA schools around here so if we could ever afford private school that would be great

Jadzia- I HAVE to have the jamaican jerk tempeh, I simply MUST make that!!

Lizzo- I think that sounds like a great diet for a 13 month old! You are offering him a lot of great choices. We give my 3 yo healthy tortilla chips, too, and he loves 'em.

Also looking for some new cookbooks- you all have mentioned some that look great but I'm not sure which to choose. Which one do you think would be good for someone who likes the type of food in Cathe's book? I will have to check out Veg Times, sounds good.

Oh, and re: Easter, we celebrate, but I was sick and ds was being miserable all day so dh just went out and got bbq stuff- veg dogs and burgers, and veggie/tofu kabobs.
#66 of 128 Old 04-18-2006, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsybitsy25
Jadzia- I HAVE to have the jamaican jerk tempeh, I simply MUST make that!!
Here you go.

Jamaican Jerk Tempeh
•3 large cloves garlic, minced
•1/4 cup minced fresh ginger
•1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions (white and light green parts only)
•1/2 jalapeno chile, seeded and minced
•1 1/2 tsp salt
•1 1/2 tsp allspice
•1 1/2 tsp thyme
•1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
•1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
•1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
•2 tbsp olive oil
•1 tbs lemon juice
•3/4 cup apricot juice (can substitute with something like peach/mango juice or apple juice - I used peach nectar)
•2 tbsp PURE maple syrup
•2 8 oz packages tempeh, each cut into 10 thin strips

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Prepare marinade: In medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients, except for the tempeh. Pour into large shallow baking dish.
Add tempeh, turning to coat. Cover and bake, 40 minutes. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving. Serves 6.

#67 of 128 Old 04-18-2006, 11:56 PM

Hello!
So nice to find this Veg thread! I'll be hanging out here for sure!

BTW, what is SDA school?

Leah

Mama to two beautiful sons Wife to DH
#68 of 128 Old 04-19-2006, 12:48 AM

On getting firmer tofu...

First, this may be obvious to some, but it really fooled me at first! Make sure you're getting the tofu that comes packed in water, *not* the 'silken' kind that comes in vacuum-packed cardboard containers. The silken tofu, even the kind that's labelled 'extra-firm', will always be pudding-like and mushy. I usually get the firmest water-packed tofu I can find.

Drain the tofu really well... if you have time, stick it in a colander with a plate on top and a couple of cans of beans (or something heavy) on top of that, to let all the moisture drain out.

Freezing it, then thawing and pressing does work! It changes the texture of the tofu, makes it spongier and draws some of the water out.

When you're cooking it, put it in the skillet first with a little oil and fry the heck out of it. The way a friend put it to me was 'Put it in at a much higher heat than normal and then forget about it.' It will smoke and turn brown, but it holds its shape much better.

Hope this helps! I was wary of tofu for a long time, but I'm really starting to love it now. So many fabulous things you can do with it!
#69 of 128 Old 04-19-2006, 03:40 AM
cjr

I couldn't wait and I went out and bought How it all Vegan. What a great book. It's dd's birthday tomorrow and we always wake up the birthday kid with chocolate cake for breakfast. It has become a tradition. With ds off dairy I wasn't sure what I was going to do. I just made the wacky chocolate cake and made some cupcakes for her to take to school as her request. WOW did they ever turn out great. No eggs, no butter, no milk...who would have thought. Then I made the chocolate cheesecake for desert tomorrow as I figure she will be all caked out. It looks so yummy. I'm going to top it with fresh rasberries before serving it, or maybe just a rasberry coulis.

For breakfast I'm going to make myself some tofu scramble, with the leftover tofu from the cheesecake. I could totally get into eating this way. I don't like to use a lot of tofu, but some other dishes just look so amazing. We ended up having a veggie Easter, rice and bean burrito's tonight with a blueberry smoothie. Two veggie dinners in a row...mmm, do you think I could get away with 3?
#70 of 128 Old 04-19-2006, 09:40 AM

lizzo - I tried PMing you, but my computer freaked out on me and lost the whole message! Sorry. After the kiddos get to school today, I'll try again.

lrlittle - SDA means Seventh-day Adventist

cjr - if your little one loves yogurt, have you tried cultured soy? Honestly, I think some of them are absolutely horrible - Silk, for instance. My little ones love Whole Soy though, and I do, too. I think it tastes the most like dairy yogurt - it's just not as creamy. I've also cooked with it - substituting cultured soy for dairy yogurt in recipes (bread, sauces, etc.), and it turns out great.
#71 of 128 Old 04-19-2006, 09:50 AM

Jadzia- thanks so much! I'm off to the grocery store to buy the ingredients now I"ll let you know how it turns out.

SDA= Seventh Day Adventists, a Christian denomination that has vegetarianism as part of it's beliefs.

Ok, just had to edit since this was so ironic: so I went to Whole Foods to get the ingredients for our meals for the week, and the local SDA school was there on a field trip! They were specifically learning about meat- there was a huge fish out on the table and they were showing them how they cut it up for food (nauseating, I sped by), then they were at the meat section and I heard them saying how there was no preservatives, antibiotics, etc. I think it's great that kids see exactly how meat gets to the table, so they see it really does come from animals who are dead. Just too timely in light of our conversation on here!
#72 of 128 Old 04-19-2006, 11:06 AM

Just a quick clarification - vegetarianism isn't a part of SDA's beliefs. They do strongly push vegetarianism, but it certainly isn't a requirement of membership or anything like that.
#73 of 128 Old 04-19-2006, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley4
also for firmer tofu, if you freeze it, then thaw and drain it, it's supposed to be firmer. haven't tried it myself, though.
whenever I've tried this the texture of the tofu is too "spongey" for my liking...
#74 of 128 Old 04-19-2006, 03:00 PM

This the best dessert. I had a sweet craving last night and I had to dig up the recipe (it was in a moving box we hadn't unpacked yet!) :

So delicious & easy.

Peanut Butter-Chocolate Mousse

12 oz. tofu, silken
½ cup maple syrup
½ cup cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup peanut butter
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp vanilla soy milk

Place all ingredients into a food processor, slowly drizzling in the soy milk. Blend until smooth.

Spoon into serving dishes and refrigerate. Chill for 1 to 2 hours before serving.

#75 of 128 Old 04-19-2006, 03:38 PM

Okay Jadzia, that sounds really yummy. I am going to have to try that one soon.

I'm feeling like a baking goddess today even if the day did get off to a rather less than glorious start (tried to make whole wheat blueberry pancakes and forgot to put in the baking powder - note to self - be fully awake before attempting breakfast tomorrow morning!). I have some really yummy bread baking (San Diego Sunshine bread - we've been known to eat the whole, rather large, loaf in one setting!), I'm making some granola (not just plain granola either - it has oats, barley, spelt, and tricale in it!), and then when the oven is empty I'm going to throw in a batch of peanut butter-red banana muffins! If smells good in my house!
#76 of 128 Old 04-19-2006, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjr
I couldn't wait and I went out and bought How it all Vegan.
Mmmmm! Two of our favorites from that book are:

1) Sinful Chocolate Pudding (I usually sub pnut butter for the oil, then I serve it over chopped bananas, raspberries, etc. in little custard cups)
2) Racy Rice Pudding (I usually add a grated apple)
#77 of 128 Old 04-19-2006, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama
I'm feeling like a baking goddess today even if the day did get off to a rather less than glorious start (tried to make whole wheat blueberry pancakes and forgot to put in the baking powder
doh!!!

what pancake recipe do you use? i use this one, and add some blueberries in YUM! aw man, i've already made our supper (red lentil curry w/ rice), and now here you are, making me want to make a 'breakfast for supper' sort of meal! darn you, evil woman!

Vegan Pancakes

1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/4 cup spelt flour
1/4 cup buckwheat flour (or you could use 1/2 spelt if you don't have buckwheat)
1 Tbsp raw sugar/agave nectar/maple syrup/brown rice syrup (your choice)
2 Tbsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup soymilk or rice milk (plain or vanilla)
2 Tbsp canola oil
1 well mashed, well ripened banana

Mix the dry ingredients thouroughly, then add the wet and stir until just mixed. Fry in a lightly oiled pan (or well seasoned cast iron!), 2 or 3 mins per side.

#78 of 128 Old 04-19-2006, 05:03 PM

Quote:
doh!!!
what pancake recipe do you use? i use this one, and add some blueberries in YUM! aw man, i've already made our supper (red lentil curry w/ rice), and now here you are, making me want to make a 'breakfast for supper' sort of meal! darn you, evil woman!
I try my hardest! That recipe sounds really yummy. Actually, I use a very basic recipe (which makes it all the worse that I left something out!). I use a modified verision of the recipe in The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook.

1 1/4 C unbleached white flour
1 1/4 C whole wheat flour
4 tbsp sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
4 tbsp oil
2 1/2 C water
Mix together - add blueberries - cook and enjoy!

I usually top them with peanut butter, applesauce, and a little maple syrup. Okay, I'm making myself hungry! If I hadn't made this yummy loaf of bread, I think I'd attempt pancakes again for dinner!
#79 of 128 Old 04-22-2006, 01:53 PM

Okay, I had to go to page 4 to find this!!! Thought I'd get it to the first page so Khadijah (sorry if I misspelled that) could find it! Plus, I have a question. On a whim, I bought amaranth, but I don't have a single recipe for it! Any suggestions?
#80 of 128 Old 04-22-2006, 01:56 PM

Here's a recipe with amaranth:

High-Protein Porridge
This cereal is a good source of minerals and B vitamins, as well as protein.

1/3 cup quinoa
1/3 cup millet
1/3 cup amaranth
5 cups water
Pinch sea salt
1/4 cup flax or sesame seeds, ground
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon or cardamom (optional)

Rinse quinoa. Place grains, water, and sea salt in heavy-bottomed pot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent cereal from sticking to bottom of pan. Stir in ground seeds and spices.

Makes 4 servings

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#81 of 128 Old 04-22-2006, 02:16 PM

Thanks - that sounds good! I finished off my quinoa with last night's dinner, so I'll have to get some more. I think we'll try that tomorrow morning for breakfast! I really love quinoa - it is so healthy and so yummy. I haven't used millet as much. I made a casserole dish with it once with a tomato sauce and some other stuff (can't remember right now), and it was very tasty, but the millet didn't get done enough. Have you had a problem with millet not cooking that well in the oven? I figured next time I would just steam the millet first and then make the casserole because it really was tasty. Maybe I just had old millet though.
#82 of 128 Old 04-22-2006, 02:26 PM

Hm. I've never cooked millet in the oven.

I just bought some rolled quinoa flakes yesterday and we are going to try them for breakfast. Quinoa is such a nutritions food.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#83 of 128 Old 04-22-2006, 02:39 PM

Cathe, I've substituted quinoa flakes for oatmeal in some of your dessert recipes that "allow" brown rice for the flour. Very tasty!

ETA: Forgot to mention we're gluten-free, otherwise I would just use the oats!!
#84 of 128 Old 04-22-2006, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

i am so happy.. i got 3 new vegan cookbooks in the mail yesterday (an early bday gift for myself ):

vegan with a vengeance
vegan planet
the ultimate uncheese cookbook (latest edition)

so now i have so many new recipes to try! YUM.. if anyone has these, what are you fave recipes? i am having a hard time deciding what to make first

note to self: do NOT read and drool over new cookbooks for an hour, and then go to the grocery store on an empty stomach

#85 of 128 Old 04-22-2006, 05:05 PM

In vegan planet - we really liked the lasagna rollups.

#86 of 128 Old 04-22-2006, 08:01 PM

NAK

We just had the yummiest curry tonight! It was from the Simple Vegetarian Pleasures cookbook. With potatoes, sweet potatoes, some chickpeas I needed to use up and I think the defining ing. in this curry is the coconut milk! I tell ya, recently, it's been a challenge to impress the kids, but this one did it! We had it with couscous and flat bread. Just had to tell you mamas, b/c DH isn't here to enjoy it, and I know y'all would understand

callmemama - I just had a friend move who gave us quite a bit of gluten free flours and I'm clueless what to do with them. Can I just use them in place of white/wheat flour, or use seperate recipes? I haave teff, buckwheat and potato.

Mama of 3 amazingly sweet kids jumpers.gif, living the dream on our urban farm chicken3.gif

#87 of 128 Old 04-22-2006, 08:18 PM

Quote:
i am so happy.. i got 3 new vegan cookbooks in the mail yesterday (an early bday gift for myself ):

vegan with a vengeance
vegan planet
the ultimate uncheese cookbook (latest edition)

so now i have so many new recipes to try! YUM.. if anyone has these, what are you fave recipes? i am having a hard time deciding what to make first
I have VWAV and I LOVE it. I have tried and love the following:
  • Scrambled Tofu (p. 12) The nutritional yeast and lemon juice makes it yummy!
  • Tempeh Sausage Crumbles (p. 22)
  • "Fronch" Toast (p. 28)
  • Pancakes
  • Chocolate Chip Scones (p. 42)
  • Carrot Raisin Muffins (p. 47)
  • Lemon Poppyseed Muffin (p. 46)
  • Roasted Garlic Soup (p. 67)
  • Blueberry Coffee Cake (p. 224) Oh my this is good!

I just don't think you can go wrong with Isa. She rocks my world.

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#88 of 128 Old 04-22-2006, 09:26 PM

I just bought VWAV too! OMG!!!!!
And I've been going cookbook crazy lately!!! I bought these just today:
Vive Le Vegan!
Meddeteranian Vegan
The Rastafarian's Cookbook (it's vegan)
And something else...I forget...see! I knew I'd do this! Buy fitty books and then not care once I got home!!!
So...are any of you vegan, but the rest of the fam (Dp,kids...whoever else...DOG) not? Dp eats and LOVES chesse, but that's it and Makena (DS) I give him yogurt...but I am a vegan. How do you ladies handle this?
#89 of 128 Old 04-22-2006, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzo
So...are any of you vegan, but the rest of the fam (Dp,kids...whoever else...DOG) not? Dp eats and LOVES chesse, but that's it and Makena (DS) I give him yogurt...but I am a vegan. How do you ladies handle this?
We eat vegan at home, even though DH eats meat. When we are out...I do the best I can. DH doesn't care what I make as long as it tastes good and fills him up. He even stuck with me through my 100% raw kick last summer! He's super supportive of my choices though...I feel very blessed that he's not more picky!

Sara ::: Mama to Bella Grace & Lucy Mae Cultivate inner beauty, the gentle, gracious kind that God delights in. 1 Peter 3:4
#90 of 128 Old 04-22-2006, 11:25 PM

callmemama - that's a great tip about using quinoa flakes for the oats. I will remember to recommended that when people ask me about gluten free choices.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page