Vegetarian cookbook suggestions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 01-21-2002, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I hate wasting money on crummy cookbooks........
Just now trying to go more veggie......it's been 2 whole days now!!!!!!

Does anyone recommend a great cookbook with semi-easy recipes but really yummy food????

Thanks
Missgrl
#2 of 17 Old 01-21-2002, 07:35 PM

me too... me too. I want in on a great cook book. I am really trying to be veggie and I need help planning meals.
#3 of 17 Old 01-21-2002, 07:43 PM

i have two suggestions for you:

The first is a cookbook I just started using called "New Vegetarian Cuisine" by Linda Rosenswei. It is excellent, I have found fabulous recipes in this book.

The second is one I have had for years called "Moosewood Cookbook" by Molly Katzen.

Good luck on your new vegetarian lifestyle!
#4 of 17 Old 01-21-2002, 07:45 PM

I, too, am trying to weave more veggie meals into our menu. I just bought the Moosewood Restaurant Cooks At Home cookbook. The focus is on quickly prepared, wholesome veggie dishes. Fish is also included. I've already made a few recipes...and even my husband, who loves meat, was impressed. Highly recommended! I'll be watching this thread for others' suggestions.
#5 of 17 Old 01-22-2002, 02:05 AM

Anything by Mollie Katzen. Her website, too. Enough spices so that things don't taste bland, and realistic directions. Nuff said.
#6 of 17 Old 01-22-2002, 01:21 PM

Location: too close to a playground of the rich and famous to be able to afford rent, CO
yea, someone suggested Moosewood Cooks at Home! Another great one is Moosewood Daily Special, which is soups, side dishes, salads, and breads. It too has some fish/seafood dishes in all categories, and has suggested menus (as in, try combining this soup with this salad and this side dish or this bread for a complete meal, etc.). A GREAT book if you can find it is the Complete Vegetarian Cuisiene (sp) by Rose Elliot. She's British, so there's things like veggie steamed pudding and classic fruit cake and such, in addition to recipes like lentil shepherd's pie, eggplant provencale, great mac&cheese, spinach roulade with pink peppercorns, lots of healthy treats for kids, it is an AMAZING book with beautiful photos, great recipes, many super easy, full menu suggestions (a children's tea, a midsummer wedding, etc.). The first half of the book is all about ingredients - fruits, veggies, grains, herbs, dairy, cheeses, nuts, etc., basics about each, hints for preparing and cooking them, full color photos. Really a very useful book in addition to having many, many great recipes, lots of casseroles that can be prepared and frozen, and so on. Great book, one of my most prized cookbooks!
#7 of 17 Old 01-22-2002, 04:39 PM

My husband got me "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone" by Deborah Madison for Christmas. It was a pricey book at $40 but I love it! 2/3 of our meals have been from this one book (and I have a huge collection ov vege cookbooks) since I got it.

I also love the Moosewood books, especially Sundays at Moosewood, which has a huge variety of ethnic recipes.
#8 of 17 Old 01-22-2002, 05:45 PM

Another vote here for Moosewood Cooks at Home! I'm not even a vegetarian, but I love that book. It has some fish/shellfish recipes as well (two of my favorites are the couscous paella and the broiled marinated salmon). My other recommendation is Quick Vegetarian Pleasures by Jeanne Lemlin. It has several "staple" recipes for me that I turn to time and time again.
#9 of 17 Old 01-24-2002, 12:24 AM

A couple of my favorites:

Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian
Madhur Jaffrey's World of the East
#10 of 17 Old 01-24-2002, 12:54 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much ladies.....I'm now on day 4!

I actually grilled tofu the other night with some awesome marinade and i actually loved it! My first tofu experience.....except that i had tofu dreams all that night! :LOL

Can i get that Moosewood book at Barnes and Noble or is it only on-line????
#11 of 17 Old 01-24-2002, 03:13 AM

Hi there

I always try the used book stores first. For one they are usually much cheaper and two it is good recycling/reusing. Check out this link to half.com.

http://www.half.com/search/search.js...word=moosewood

When my DSO went veggie about 7-8 years ago, he said he never felt so good. He still is veggie (we all are in my house) and feels great! He was your typical sausage pizza for lunch, all steak - hold the veggies burrito for dinner...EEEWWWWWW!!!!!

Good luck, we should start a thread on our favorite veggie recipes, that way we can share and it is cheap!!!

Julie
#12 of 17 Old 01-24-2002, 04:53 PM

laurel's kitchen. i have moosewood books and vege times books. but laurel's i use the most!

me 71, dh 68, dd 00, dd 04
blissfully figuring out how to coexist while homeschooling and living in the woods of northern michigan
#13 of 17 Old 01-25-2002, 01:24 AM

I second "The World Vegetarian" by Maddhur Jaffrey!!! It is awesome! I first found it at my library and checked it out, then ended up renewing it and was so sad to bring it back- so I went and bought my own copy. It has yummie recipes from all over the planet!
I like the Moosewood okay- she uses a lot of cheese though!
I just bought "How It All Vegan" (thanks to great advice of some fellow posters)- I think it's a great book!!!
#14 of 17 Old 01-26-2002, 05:49 PM

I vote for Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian as well! Excellent book! Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone is also excellent. I find The Moosewood cookbooks use too much dairy/cheese for me. A couple of other cookbooks I like are: The Tassajara Recipe Book by Edward Espe Brown, From Anna's Kitchen by Anna Thomas, and The Expanding Light Cookbook by Blanche Agassy McCord. The last three are the least expensive books of the lot, and offer great things to eat! Anna Thomas' cookbook is good when you're looking for menus and also cooking for more people although the recipes can easily be halved. I love cookbooks!!! Any other suggestions out there?!
#15 of 17 Old 01-27-2002, 04:44 PM

Quick Vegetarian Pleasures by Jeanne Lemlin.

We have never tried a recipe we didn't like from this book. The instructions and ingredients are simple...the results are delicious!
#16 of 17 Old 01-27-2002, 06:26 PM

My favorite vegetarian cookbook is:

Lean and Luscious and Meatless by Bobbie Hinman and Millie Snyder. I regularly make at least 2 dozen recipes from that book.

GREAT stew recipes!
#17 of 17 Old 01-28-2002, 11:04 AM

Missgrl,

You should be able to find at least some of the Moosewood books at your local B&N. That's where I got all of mine. I have to warn you though, that Moosewood Cooks at Home, while a great book, often uses a lot of cheese and other things that make some of the dishes, uh, not low-fat. There is a lowfat Moosewood, and I also really love the Sundays at Moosewood that someone else recommended. Mollie also wrote a book called Vegetable Heaven which has some nice dishes.

My fave is definitely Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. So flexible and tasty and intuitive. It's a little more expensive, but maybe you could find it used. I also second the Madhur Jaffery recommendations.

I recently tried Vegetarian Planet, by Didi Emmons, which I found at the local library. In fact, if you have a decent library, I recommend trying some of these cookbooks before you buy. I've been doing that a lot lately, and it has helped me avoid some bad choices for our family!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page