June veg*n living thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 145 Old 06-27-2006, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've made seitan a few times but it was time consuming. Can you tell me how you make it?

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#122 of 145 Old 06-27-2006, 05:48 PM

ColoradoMomma- Yeah it freezes fine. I think it only changes the texture of regular tofu...Though it may make the boxed stuff more slimey. Anyway I digress...Yes blended tofu freezes fine

Sheacoby- I geuss it is time consuming, but still easy. Just make a super big batch.

Here's a link to my favorite recipe from PPK (they have the greatest recipes on earth)

http://theppk.com/recipes/dbrecipes/...p?RecipeID=112
#123 of 145 Old 06-27-2006, 07:10 PM

Here are some summer salad recipes for those hot nights:

Tofu and Udon Noodles with Sesame-Peanut Dressing

1 (11-ounce) package udon noodles
1 pound firm tofu, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
3/4 cups thinly sliced green onions (4 to 6)
1 cup frozen peas (optional)
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds

Sesame-Peanut Dressing:
2 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil or peanut oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons brown rice vinegar
1/4 cup peanut butter
3 tablespoons tahini
1 tablespoon honey, brown rice syrup, or agave nectar
Pinch red pepper flakes
1/3 cup boiling water

Cook noodles in boiling water 4 to 6 minutes, or until tender but not mushy. Drain, rinse with cold water, and drain again. Immediately toss noodles with tofu, green onions, frozen peas, cilantro, and oil. Place dressing ingredients in blender and puree until smooth. Pour over noodle mixture. Sprinkle on sesame seeds. Toss gently until noodles are coated with sauce. Chill at least 1 hour before serving.

Makes 8 to 10 servings

Curried Rice Salad
This easy salad will keep in your refrigerator for days so it’s handy for lunch or snacks. Try it with other grains like millet or quinoa too.

4 cups cold cooked brown rice
3/4 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup chopped almonds, toasted
3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

Honey-Curry Dressing:
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
1 tablespoon honey (or brown rice syrup or agave nectar)
4 tablespoons flavorless oil (grapeseed, canola, safflower, etc.)
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil

Place rice, raisins, almonds, and cilantro in large bowl. Whisk dressing ingredients together or place in a jar and shake until combined. Pour over rice mixture. Toss until coated. Chill at least one hour before serving.

Makes 8 servings

Note: See the Grain Cooking Chart in the Appendix for instructions on cooking rice.

Bean and Rice Salad with Asian Citrus Dressing

2 cups cooked black or kidney beans
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 cup corn kernels (fresh or frozen)
4 green onions, sliced
1 carrot, shredded
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
Grated peel of 1 orange

Asian Citrus Dressing:
Juice of 1 orange (about 1/3 cup)
Juice of 1 lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 teaspoons honey, brown rice syrup, or agave nectar

Combine beans, rice, corn, green onions, carrot, cilantro or parsley, and orange peel in large bowl. Whisk together dressing ingredients. Pour over salad and toss gently until coated. Refrigerate at least 1 hour. It’s even better if it sits overnight.

Makes 6 to 8 servings

Note: See the Appendix for instructions on cooking brown rice and beans.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#124 of 145 Old 06-27-2006, 08:41 PM

re: homemade seitan- I've been doing this for the past few months! I've been using Isa's recipe from the ppk as well. It works out great! I usually make a double batch (takes 2 huge soup pots) and have enough for several dishes. It saves soooo much money and is very tasty!

Richella- the sunflower seed butter cookie recipe looks good, and easy! The only thing I don't have is the brown rice vinegar.

Cathe- The tofu and udon noodles looks yummy! I need the brown rice vinegar for that, too, so I think I'll add both recipes to my list for this week!
#125 of 145 Old 06-27-2006, 11:21 PM

Doesn't the PPK have the most ass kickin' recipes. I love them. Next up I'm trying their Jam cookies. No proccesed sugar and cookies? Where can you go wrong?
#126 of 145 Old 06-28-2006, 12:09 AM

I've made the seitan from Real Food Daily cookbook - it's super easy and yummy.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#127 of 145 Old 06-28-2006, 08:08 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by defectgrrrl
Doesn't the PPK have the most ass kickin' recipes. I love them. Next up I'm trying their Jam cookies. No proccesed sugar and cookies? Where can you go wrong?
um, yes! the PPK rocks! everything i've tried has come out great! (even with my lower sugar and flour subs.. we don't do white flour).

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
#128 of 145 Old 06-28-2006, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley4
the PPK rocks! everything i've tried has come out great! (even with my lower sugar and flour subs.. we don't do white flour).
What's the PPK?

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#129 of 145 Old 06-28-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl
What's the PPK?
the post punk kitchen-website with some yummy looking recipes
http://theppk.com/
#130 of 145 Old 06-28-2006, 06:43 PM

I make Seitan at home and just make a super big batch and freeze it in chunks to take out one at a time. It is time consuming in the sense that you have to be home for a long time but most of the time is just waiting (waiting for the dough to rise, waiting while it cooks, waiting for it to bake) - so you can do plenty of other things in the meantime. There's not that much time actually involved in making it.
#131 of 145 Old 06-28-2006, 07:51 PM

i did pizza on the grill tonight for dinner... DAMN! why didn't i try that sooner?!? it was soooo good. we made plain (cheese and sauce) and fresh tomato, spinach, cheese, garlic, olive oil and spices. it will definitly be a regular on our summer menu.

and thanks for the link to PPK... i hadn't seen it either.

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

#132 of 145 Old 06-28-2006, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciascl
Maybe it is just my pregnant hormones but that bothers me. I am here aren't I? I am still trying!!! I don't want to start anything (HONESTLY) I just needed to say that.
sorry. I'm just hoping you are not assuming eating chicken to be keeping vegetarian... ' cause I know many a "vegetarian" that does... and that just bothers ME!

Not trying to start anything at all! :

I'm glad you're revisiting the road to vegetarianisn- for sure!

When I was pregnant I was super sensitive to the idea of eating meat... there's just something odd about making/carrying life and then killing one for dinner... kwim?

I did crave a lot of protein/iron things when pregnant. I learned to start each morning with a steamed cup of rice milk w/ 2tbs of black strap molasses blended in it... yum! and great iron too. Another delish and healthy smoothy I did when pregnant was baking a sweet potato. mash it up, add to blender w/ a can of coconut milk (full fat) and a few tbs of maple syrup... yum! A healthy sweet treat (enough for 2-4 cups)!

If you are craving chicken specifically QUORN makes a really close substitute...
#133 of 145 Old 06-28-2006, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheacoby
I've made seitan a few times but it was time consuming. Can you tell me how you make it?
I use this recipe: http://www.vrg.org/recipes/vjseitan.htm. It is not time consuming at all except for the simmering part. We don't eat seitan that much. One batch can make about three or four different meals. I separate them into 4 bags, freeze them and defrost them when I need them.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#134 of 145 Old 06-29-2006, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both for the seitan recipes. They both sound yummy and pretty simple. Now which one to try first.

#135 of 145 Old 06-29-2006, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelley4
um, yes! the PPK rocks! everything i've tried has come out great! (even with my lower sugar and flour subs.. we don't do white flour).
Yeah me too...I sub for agave and whole spelt!
#136 of 145 Old 06-29-2006, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edamommy

If you are craving chicken specifically QUORN makes a really close substitute...
Quorn isn't vegan. If you're veggie for animal rights reasons the very first thing you should cut is eggs not meat. Laying hens live in the MOST deplorable conditions for a very long time, then they're slaughtered for meat (usually broiler chickens). If you want a really good chicken sub try Morningstar chikn strips. They're really good, high in protein and VEGAN.
#137 of 145 Old 06-29-2006, 02:05 PM

Quote:
sorry. I'm just hoping you are not assuming eating chicken to be keeping vegetarian... ' cause I know many a "vegetarian" that does... and that just bothers ME!

Not trying to start anything at all! :

I'm glad you're revisiting the road to vegetarianisn- for sure!

When I was pregnant I was super sensitive to the idea of eating meat... there's just something odd about making/carrying life and then killing one for dinner... kwim?

I did crave a lot of protein/iron things when pregnant. I learned to start each morning with a steamed cup of rice milk w/ 2tbs of black strap molasses blended in it... yum! and great iron too. Another delish and healthy smoothy I did when pregnant was baking a sweet potato. mash it up, add to blender w/ a can of coconut milk (full fat) and a few tbs of maple syrup... yum! A healthy sweet treat (enough for 2-4 cups)!

Thanks!

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#138 of 145 Old 06-29-2006, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinah
It is time consuming in the sense that you have to be home for a long time but most of the time is just waiting (waiting for the dough to rise, waiting while it cooks, waiting for it to bake) - so you can do plenty of other things in the meantime. There's not that much time actually involved in making it.
Exactly- it isn't hard to make sietan, just time consuming. Once you have it simmering there isn't much else to do but let it cook, and then cool down.

Clovergirl- pizza on the grill??? I hadn't thought of that! How does that work? I'd love to try it.

I'm off to go try out the sunflower seed cookies- I hope they work for me!!

For dinner tonight I'm going to try Pad Thai from VWAV. Last night I made the yellow split pea curry from the most recent PETA magazine- and it WOULD NOT COOK! It was supposed to simmer for an hour, and after 3 hours the bean were still crunchy. Poor me, it was 9pm and I still hadn't eaten yet! I just had to eat it crunchy
#139 of 145 Old 06-29-2006, 06:38 PM

[QUOTE=itsybitsy25
Clovergirl- pizza on the grill??? I hadn't thought of that! How does that work? I'd love to try it.
QUOTE]

well, i totally cheated and used premade/prebaked dough shells. : soooo, we just put on the toppings and then cooked it right on the grill on the lowest heat with the lid down. i've heard though that itf you'll be using fresh dough for the shell you'll need to use a pizza stone or something similar so that the dough cooks evenly and doesn't stick to the grill.

*mama to c 2/2000, v 2/2004, p 9/2006, and h 12/2012*

one of the mamas behind BeanTreeBaby.com ...Gear for Growing Families!

#140 of 145 Old 06-29-2006, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Quorn isn't vegan. If you're veggie for animal rights reasons the very first thing you should cut is eggs not meat. Laying hens live in the MOST deplorable conditions for a very long time, then they're slaughtered for meat (usually broiler chickens). If you want a really good chicken sub try Morningstar chikn strips. They're really good, high in protein and VEGAN.
maybe for YOU the right answer is cutting eggs before meat... but truth be told one who eats meat isn't a vegetarian yet an egg eater is!

no quorn products are not vegan. but they may be a great help for someone who thinks they need chicken (for taste or texture reasons) to wean themselves off of that habit!
#141 of 145 Old 06-30-2006, 02:08 PM

Quote:
but truth be told one who eats meat isn't a vegetarian yet an egg eater is!
*lol*

But have you tried the morningstar chikn strips? The omnis I know swear they taste like chikn and they are good. Plus way way cheaper than the Quorn. like $2 cheaper a bag.
#142 of 145 Old 07-01-2006, 04:01 PM

Quote:
IMO the BEST chicken substitute is White Wave's frozen chicken style wheat meat! It is fabulous and vegan. AND it has fooled my meat eating friends!
#143 of 145 Old 07-01-2006, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoMama
IMO the BEST chicken substitute is White Wave's frozen chicken style wheat meat! It is fabulous and vegan. AND it has fooled my meat eating friends!
I agree that stuff is yummy!

We used to buy un-steaks and they were just so good. We haven't been able to find them in a long time. I do believe they are vegan too. Does anyone know what I'm talking about or the brand. I'd love to find those again.

#144 of 145 Old 07-01-2006, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsybitsy25
Richella- the sunflower seed butter cookie recipe looks good, and easy! The only thing I don't have is the brown rice vinegar.
You could use apple cider vinegar as well, or white vinegar, anything with a mild flavor. though it's been so many days, I suppose you already did it. I've been trying to cut the time I spend here on MDC.

Isn't Quorn GM? I thought I read that in a magazine years ago, it's made in a lab. I know all the other stuff is pretty highly processed too, but the Quorn thing seemed like going too far. Like it's not even derived from a real food. these days we use Chickn Strips by Lightlife, they are tasty and have a nice texture, but expensive. I used to get a frozen tube called Chicketts, I think made by worthington, but haven't been able to find it in years. that was easy to use and less expensive than the other brands of fake chicken. I keep thinking we should move more to whole foods and away from the processed stuff, though, but it seems to be a difficult change for us to make.
#145 of 145 Old 07-01-2006, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richella
I used to get a frozen tube called Chicketts, I think made by worthington, but haven't been able to find it in years. that was easy to use and less expensive than the other brands of fake chicken.
I don't know where you live, but if you live near a big city or near a Seventh-day Adventist academy - there is probably an ABC (Adventist Book Center) that may also have a food section. They usually sell Worthington and Loma Linda foods. You can call your local Seventh-day Adventist Church and ask them if there is an ABC anywhere near.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page