June veg*n living thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-02-2006, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't see one started yet so I decided to start one!!!

We had a really sweet, juicy and yummy watermelon yesterday. I LOVE watermelon!!

I made a really tasty pasta/tofu salad today. I marinated the tofu (cut into bite size pieces) in italian salad dressing then baked it until it was nice and firm. Added it to diced veggies and penne pasta, then dressed it with Dijon mustard , veganaise and herbs & spices. Boy was it good!

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2006, 05:32 PM

MMM, we had taco salad, with kidney beans mixed into the taco "meat" and I made up some of the ranch dressing out of the Native Foods Cookbook. Oh and LOTS of yummy Avacado!!! Fern had avacado and some brown rice. Oh and for a dessert I splurged because they were on sale and bought the lil buddy soy ice cream sandwiches!
I just got the Vegan Vittles cook book, so I'm going to try some recipies from that. I've been eyeing up a couple new books. But the budget dose not alow right now and the library dose not have them!
Old 06-02-2006, 05:45 PM

I just picked up a copy of "how it all vegan", and we're going to try the "tuna" recipe. The kids love tuna sandwiches, but we're trying to cut back on fish (the only type of meat we eat besides the very occasional organic meat at family gatherings), mostly because of the level of toxicity in it. We do only buy wild fish, and the types with least mercury toxicity. Has anyone tried this recipe? I'll let you know how it goes.

4 kids under 10
Old 06-03-2006, 12:33 AM

Your throw-together tofu & pasta sounds very good!

My ds LOVES watermelon blended smooth and almost frozen to slush....mmmm
Old 06-03-2006, 01:01 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
happy June, veggie mommas don't have time to chat now, but i'll come back later with what we've been cookin' up

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
Old 06-03-2006, 10:08 AM

The boys love helping me cook. Yesterday we made banana walnut bread together. Today hopefully a tofu asparagus quiche.

Can't wait for our first CSA pickup in 2 weeks!

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 06-03-2006, 10:26 AM

We had an awesome salad made of tomatoes, orange peppers, green tail onions, black beans, celery, corn, with veganaise and salt and pepper! It was awesome, and refreshing on a hot summer day here in Florida.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:32 PM

I made some quinoa this morning for a salad.
I put cooked quinoa, finely diced celery, fresh parsley, green onion, dried cranberries, olive oil, garlic and lemon juice.

YUMMY
Old 06-04-2006, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
there is also a great Spring Quinoa Salad in Vive Le Vegan which we really like! i quinoa!

Momma to K ('01), E ('03) and A ('07)
Acting as a Gestational Surrogate for my cousin, EDD Jan 17th
Old 06-04-2006, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quinoa is such a tasty grain! That salad sounds good! We went to the farmer's market yesterday and got a bunch of fresh veggies.
I hope everyone is enjoying the great produce right now!

Old 06-04-2006, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter

For dinner tonight I oven roasted asparagus with some olive oil, soy sauce and garlic, then in the same pan I sauteed onion and mushrooms. I then made soy cheese quasadillas on whole wheat tortillas with the asparagus, onion and musrooms added. Then I added some fresh tomato to them. YUM!!!

Old 06-04-2006, 10:26 PM

Are all veg folks welcome on this thread even if they aren't vegan?

I'm assuming that to be the case. We aren't vegan, definitely incoporate vegan meals, but would fall more along the veg lines. I'm afraid otherwise I'd get lost on this board in all the NT type threads.

Looking forward to seeing what all is cooking in your kitchens!
Old 06-04-2006, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Of course all veggies are welcome. Veg*n written like that includes all vegetarians, it's just a short cut so you don't have to write it all out!
I'm not vegan right now either.

Old 06-04-2006, 11:14 PM

Ahhh...see, this is the first time someone has explained that one to me!

See...now I feel silly, but you learn something new everyday! Thanks for cluing me in!
Old 06-05-2006, 12:03 AM

I have what I hope is a veggie/vegan related question-- how do you decide where to buy your produce?
I shop at a shoppers food warehouse because it is generally cheap. but the produce is not predictable, and I would like to make sure I get good stuff (I also need to learn how to choose fruits/veggies better). There is a whole foods nearby, but I find their prices kind of exhorbitant. There are also smaller health food stores, but I think they may be a little pricey too. I do have some farmers markets around (one requires me to work 4 hours to get a veggie share, and I am 37 wks pregnant so not so sure about that!) and i guess fairly soon the weekend farmers markets will start.
Where do you all buy your produce? How do you know how to choose the best of each individual item? How have you learned to incorporate "new" veggies/fruits into your diets? I think I'm in a rut.
sorry that this is such an elementary question...
Old 06-05-2006, 03:27 AM

i get most of my produce at the farmers market but where i live we get three farmers markets a week year round, with decent prices

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

Old 06-05-2006, 10:06 AM

A very yummy recipe for a yogurt "cake":
1 cup plain soy yogurt
2 cups flour
1 cups fructose/unrefined sugar
0,5 cups sunflower oil
1/2 bag (arround 2 teaspoons) baking powder
vanilla extract
fresk seasonal fruit (strawberries, blueberries, apricots...)

Mix all the ingredients together and put in a greased baking dish (I use lasagna dish). Sprinkle with fruit and some more sugar. bake at 200 degrees celsius for 20min-30 min. Very easy and very yummy!
Old 06-05-2006, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selesai
Where do you all buy your produce? How do you know how to choose the best of each individual item? How have you learned to incorporate "new" veggies/fruits into your diets? I think I'm in a rut.
sorry that this is such an elementary question...
During our local growing season, we buy a share at a local organic CSA farm. We go once a week and pick up our share. It includes tons of pre-picked items, plus lots of pick-your-own. We put in 12 hours of work over the season, which really makes us feel like we know precisely how our food is grown. Also, the excess is donated to 3 local food banks (they plant extra deliberately).
In late summer/fall we also buy a share from a local IPM fruit farm that is delivered to the CSA.
I prepare and freeze a lot of produce from Aug.-Nov. to use until spring. In fact we're just finishing up our frozen stash now, just 2 weeks before our first pick-up of the season.
We still buy other produce, mainly fruits and more broccoli from the supermarket or BJ's (because we use so much produce it's just cheaper to buy it in bulk). I buy certain items organic when I can (Stop & Shop has it's own organic brand that is relatively cheap), but certain things I don't worry about, our budget isn't unlimited! I don't usually buy produce at places like Whole Foods because it's just too expensive, though certain specialty items, (ie. mache, loose exotic mushrooms, lacinata kale), I can't get anywhere else.
I used to work at a food coop in the produce section as a second job, so I got really familiar with all different kinds of produce. One book I love is: "Fresh Produce: A to Z"; it explains about all different types of produce and their uses, plus 250 simple recipes.

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 06-05-2006, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We don't have a garden this year so we get our produce at the local health food store or the farmers' market.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 06-05-2006, 04:02 PM

Oh - and I love the A to Z book too. It's especially nice when you're in a CSA and get unfamiliar veggies. If you go to the farmers market or a farm stand, you can talk to the people there and get recomendations and preparation suggestions.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Old 06-05-2006, 09:46 PM

Thank you for the info/suggestions! I'm going to take a look at the Fresh Produce book, and I think I will also take some time to research more of the farmers market options around here.
I'm glad to know I don't have to spend too much time (or money) at Whole Foods!
Old 06-06-2006, 03:09 PM

I can never seem to get the hang of saving up the $$ I need for our local CSA in order to be able to purchase a share. Unfortunately for us it's just not do-able at this time...so, we planted our very first veggie garden which so far seems to be doing really well. I don't think it's very big at this time, but we thought we'd start small and use it mostly as a way to supplement what we already get from our local co-op.

We also try to buy organic whenever we can which can be a little expensive. There are a couple of farmer's markets in our area so we'll be checking them out this weekend! :0)
Old 06-08-2006, 06:03 PM

Hello ladies. I had to look long and hard for this thread!!! We had a yummy stir fry last night. Normally my stir frys are just okay, but this one is really yummy. I came up with it when my son was sick and his acupuncturist said I should get more ginger in his diet. It has lots of ginger, broccoli, carrots, baby corn, bamboo, and chicken-style wheat meat. Tonight is pizza night, but tomorrow night I am trying a new recipe from Vegetarian Times - it sounds good - it has asparagus, capers and baked tofu in it!
Old 06-08-2006, 08:32 PM

:
Old 06-08-2006, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Your stir-fry sounds good!

Tonight I made ,I don't maybe you could called it super easy "samosas". Anyway, I diced up a couple of new potaotes, carrots, celery , onion and garlic and sauteed them until soft. The I added curry powder and canned chick peas, cooked it all a couple more minutes. Meanwhile I made a simple biscuit recipe. I seperated the biscuit dough into several balls and rolled each out and put the veggie mixute in the middle then folded over and sealed the dough. I baked them in the oven w/ just a touch of earth balance melted on top of them. They turned out super yummy.

Old 06-08-2006, 09:51 PM

I love, love, love samosas. I have yet to try and make them at home though. Those sound good - especially with a little mango chutney! I may have to try that.

I forgot to add that the sauce I made with the stir fry had vegetable broth, cornstarch, sesame oil, Chinese five spice powder, garlic, Bragg, and red pepper flakes. It was pretty good for leftovers today, too!
Old 06-09-2006, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe
Oh - and I love the A to Z book too. It's especially nice when you're in a CSA and get unfamiliar veggies. If you go to the farmers market or a farm stand, you can talk to the people there and get recomendations and preparation suggestions.
i'm stumped. what's the A to Z book? we sometimes get bizarre stuff from our CSA and i don't even know what it is, never mind knowing how to get it into our bellies.

Jennifer, Naturopath and mom

Old 06-09-2006, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

We love falafel (we are going to a local place to eat them today, YAY!!!) and I would love to know how to make good ones. I have made them from a mix , which is pretty good but I'd like to make them home made. Does anyone have a quick & easy no fail recipe (baked ones would be ideal, I hate to fry)?

Heather

Old 06-09-2006, 03:13 PM

: Happy Farmer's Market Day to me!!! :

After having grown up near Madison, WI and going to the AMAZING Dane County Farmer's Market (really, if you are ever near Madison, WI during the Farmer's Market season on a Saturday you HAVE to go) I must admit I've been going through withdrawal. Today we're going to check out a local farmer's market near the Co-op we shop at and I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much - I don't want to be disappointed. BUT, I CAN'T WAIT!

Then again, I find just browsing through my favorite Co-op to be the greatest form of entertainment!

:
Old 06-09-2006, 05:21 PM

I love, love, love Vegetarian Times magazine. I swear just about everything I try out of it turns out good! I made a recipe for Strawberry Corn Muffins this morning that were yummy! Dh thought they were ok, but the kiddos devoured them. We ate most of them before going out garage sale shopping and ate the rest of them when we came home! I just bought a big thing of organic strawberries from Whole Foods a couple of days ago, so I'll probably be making them again. Tonight I'm trying another VT recipe called Lemony Asparagus, Capers and Crispy Tofu.

User Tag List