Please post your favorite VEGETARIAN recipes here... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-25-2002, 02:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Let's share our favorite veggie and vegan recipes...we'll help out our new veggie friends, help families get healthier and liven up our current dinner situations....

#2 of 7 Old 01-25-2002, 10:36 AM
Banned

One of my faves is veggie chilli.

It's easy and yummy.

Get as many beans as you can (kidney beans, black beans, pintos, white kidney beans, etc.)

Some tomato sauce and salsa (either homemade or jarred)

Chilli spices (chilli powder, or mix up your own I like chilantro, cayenene pepper, etc.)

Cut up colored peppers (as many colors as you can find) and onions and garlic cloves.

Put everything in a big pot (cook the beans first if they're dried) and taste the chilli to balance the spices.

I serve the chilli with a little bit of sprinkled Mexican cheeses on top. If I want to make it more special mix up some quacomoli and top with quacomoli and sour cream (the sour cream isn't authentic to Mexican cuisine)

DB
#3 of 7 Old 01-25-2002, 11:03 AM

My best squash

Use 1/2 squash per person ( whole if it is the main course) my favorite is butternut

Cut squash in half, remove seeds.

Cover bottom of baking pan with olive oil, place squash cut-side down.

Add lots of peeled garlic cloves-I use one head of garlic per person.

Cover pan and bake for 2 hours at 325'.

Use the oil left in the pan to moisten the squash before eating.

The garlic becomes almost carmelized. Yum!

Can also add potatoes-halved or quartered, carrots. Broccoli does not cook well this way.
#4 of 7 Old 01-25-2002, 05:42 PM

Barley Mushroom Risotto

I made this the other night and it was DELICIOUS! I'll type out how the recipe is written in the Joy of Cooking and then how I changed the recipe.

Heat in a large deep skillet over medium heat 4-6 tablespoons butter (I used 2-3). Add and cook, stirring until tender but not brown 1 large chopped onion. Stir in and cook until softened 8 oz. diced shiitake mushrooms (I used the same amount of regular white mushrooms). Reduce heat to medium low and stir in 1 cup pearl barley.

Add and cook until the liquid is absorbed 2/3 c dry white wine, 1 tbsp minced garlic, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp ground black pepper (I didn't do this part b/c I didn't have any wine).

Warm but do not allow to simmer in a saucepan set over low heat 6 cups chicken stock (I used veg stock that I made from bullion).

Stir 2 cups of stock into the barley, simmer slowly, stir occasionally, until stock obsorbed. Add remaining stock 1/2 cup at a time. (Right before it was done I added the garlic and pepper from above, the stock was salty enough without adding more).

This will take 45-60 minutes. This was so good, and I thought I didn't like barley. It is very rich and filling with only that little bit of butter.

Clancysmum - that squash sounds great!
#5 of 7 Old 01-25-2002, 07:17 PM

My fave? gosh, that is a tall order.
Last night we had a really good dish (forgive me, it has no name and I don't measure, I come up with these things standing over the stove)
I diced 1/2 yellow onion and 2 gloves garlic. Saute in oil and add 1# cubed tofu. Toss it around until the tofu starts to get some color. THen I threw in some cumin, cayenne pepper, s&p, and oregano. Then a couple of diced tomatoes (or canned would work) and a handful of fresh cilantro. Then the juice of a lime. We served it over rice. num, nummy
#6 of 7 Old 01-25-2002, 07:34 PM

Yum Clancysmum! Love squah! I take that same butternut squash, baked, and put it in the blender with some vanilla soymilk, a little salt, and fresh sage if you got it=an amazing simple soup!
#7 of 7 Old 01-26-2002, 10:45 PM

We are big fans of Japanese food! Once a month we make a Japanese vegetarian feast:

*miso soup w/ little cubes of raw tofu, scallions, and bits of wakame seaweed
*soba noodles tossed w/ sesame oil, shredded carrot, bits of soaked hijiki seaweed, tamari, and gamasio (toasted sesame seeds)
*vegi sushi rolls- sushi rice and slices of avocado, thinly sliced cucumber and steamed carrot, rolled in sheets of nori; then dip into wasabi-tamari
*pan fried tofu (I posted this under "tofu")
*pickled ginger
*green tea

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page