Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Vegetarian and Vegan (http://www.mothering.com/forum/366-vegetarian-vegan/)
-   -   vegans/vegetarians and placenta eating (http://www.mothering.com/forum/366-vegetarian-vegan/492331-vegans-vegetarians-placenta-eating.html)

NinaBruja 07-31-2006 06:48 AM

i like the idea of placenta eating but i cant get over equating it with meat.
my placenta is sitting in the freezer and i hear i have 6 months to eat it so that gives me 1 month... but i cant get over the meat feelings
any veggies here eat placenta? what was it like?

Lizzo 07-31-2006 10:04 AM

I posted something like this a while back.
I'd reccomend blending it into a smoothie or maybe putting it into capsules(that may be more work though!)

clovergirl 07-31-2006 12:32 PM

i hear ya.
i'm interested in eating our placenta this time for all of the claimed hormonal benefits. but the thought of eating it isn't very appealing to me... i haven't even touched meat in 8+years. i don't want to cook it at all, that would be really weird, IMO. i would love to dry, grind, and put it into capsules but i highly doubt i will have the time/energy after delivery to do that.
though maybe i could choke down a smoothie with it blended in there...

LavenderMae 07-31-2006 12:45 PM

I had reservations too but I am going to eat some after this birth. I plan on getting someone to make a fruit smoothie with some of it, with lots of strawberries. I know I could not cook it like meat and then eat it though.
I would love to dry it and put it into capsules but I know I won't be up for doing that and my dh won't : so we will just bury what I don't use for the smoothie.

Lizzo 07-31-2006 03:05 PM

I've heard it's better raw anyway.

Viriditas 08-01-2006 01:42 PM

I am a strict vegetarian and I ate my placenta! In my mind it wasn't anything like eating meat. It came from me, not a dead animal! It's like those weirdos who deny their babies breastmilk because it isn't vegan.

I had a couple of chunks straight, but I gagged on the second one, so I don't recommend that. The rest dh blended with fresh orange juice and it was perfect! It was just like drinking pink OJ.

I am into raw foods, so I didn't consider drying it or cooking it. I thought it would be much more beneficial raw and fresh.

Joyful Mama 08-01-2006 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viriditas
It's like those weirdos who deny their babies breastmilk because it isn't vegan.

that's the stupidest thing i've ever heard!

i don't know about the whole placenta-eating thing. it still sounds kinda icky to me!

babygrant 08-01-2006 02:06 PM

Quote:
It's like those weirdos who deny their babies breastmilk because it isn't vegan.
are you serious?????????????????

NinaBruja 08-01-2006 02:21 PM

Quote:
I am a strict vegetarian and I ate my placenta! In my mind it wasn't anything like eating meat. It came from me, not a dead animal!
im thinking perhaps you come from a background of eating meat? ive been a vegetarian since i was 3, things that feel like i think meat feels grosses me out.
i have no problem with placenta eating or mistaking it for a killed animal ethically, it quite obviously isnt...
its not an ethical dilema at all... its a texture dilema mostly... meat is soooo gross, smells gross, bodily organs are not my idea of food no matter where or who it came from...thats what im trying to resolve...

Viriditas 08-01-2006 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poxybat
im thinking perhaps you come from a background of eating meat? ive been a vegetarian since i was 3, things that feel like i think meat feels grosses me out.
i have no problem with placenta eating or mistaking it for a killed animal ethically, it quite obviously isnt...
its not an ethical dilema at all... its a texture dilema mostly... meat is soooo gross, smells gross, bodily organs are not my idea of food no matter where or who it came from...thats what im trying to resolve...
I've been a vegetarian for 10 years, but not my whole life, so I guess I do come from a background of eating meat. Even so, the thought of the texture, smell, etc of meat really grosses me out too.

I guess I don't think of my placenta as anything like meat, and that's where I'm okay with it. It's kind of on a whole other level. Comparing my placenta with a cow liver just doesn't register for me, even though (some say) they may be similar in texture, taste. I would totally gag on a hamburger, but eating a boca burger (even though I don't routinely eat "meat substitutes" and don't particularly like them) would be okay, even though it's very similar to meat. I also don't have a problem putting a cut finger in my mouth, but the idea of animal blood makes me want to retch.

Anyhoo, if the taste/texture are a problem but you still want to eat your placenta, consider a smoothie. I seriously didn't taste it when it was blended with OJ, or maybe there was just a slight metallic taste.

As for the breastmilk thing, it's only something that I've heard. I think there was a case of a vegan family who weaned their daughter VERY early (like, 2 or 3 months) to some sort of coconut milk concoction because breastmilk wasn't vegan. It really pissed me off because the article made it seem like all vegans were this idiotic and careless with the lives of their children.

holyhelianthus 08-02-2006 12:05 PM

dry it and grind it up. make pills out of it. that's what i was thinking of doing.

ladyslipper 08-03-2006 12:34 AM

Why would a person eat their placenta?

Viriditas 08-03-2006 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyslipper
Why would a person eat their placenta?
It's really high in iron, that's for sure. Helps restore nutrients to your body after the rigors of labor and make up for blood loss. I was really shaky after the birth of ds, but after I had my placenta smoothie all the lightheadedness and shakes were gone.

It's said to help fend off ppd. I've heard women who have had severe ppd with previous births say that consuming their placenta made all the difference in the world.

I've also heard it minimizes post partum bleeding. I've only given birth once, so I have no basis for comparison, but though I bled for a month, after the second or third day it was down to a trickle. I also didn't have any indication of ppd.

maizy 08-05-2006 01:48 AM

This is just me but... I've been raised vege (not Vegan) my whole life and I planned to eat the placenta. It made good sense health-wise.
I picked a day I was home alone, had a whole ritual planned. I could not. Tried a bit with juice... could not. I buried it that day.
I don't think it was a vege issue. It was more of eating something that came out of me, I've never eaten anything that came out of me before.
We're all different.

ErinBird 08-05-2006 03:16 AM

I totally plan to eat at least a bit of my placenta after this baby is done with it :-) I was thinking of putting a piece in a smoothie because I don't think I'll be able to stomach it straight up (but that has nothing to do with my not enjoying meat consumption...).

It comes from me and its mine to do what I want with. Its like telling someone they aren't veg*n because they eat their fingernails/cuticles.

NinaBruja 08-07-2006 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinBird
I totally plan to eat at least a bit of my placenta after this baby is done with it :-) I was thinking of putting a piece in a smoothie because I don't think I'll be able to stomach it straight up (but that has nothing to do with my not enjoying meat consumption...).

It comes from me and its mine to do what I want with. Its like telling someone they aren't veg*n because they eat their fingernails/cuticles.
no ones saying youre not vegan if you eat placenta...thats just absurd
i just said being that its so close to an internal organ eating it will feel wierd...
its all mental...
and despite really wanting to i still dont feel like i can