Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have you tried them with the icing?
#182 of 210 Old 09-29-2006, 09:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurabfig View Post
: I'm so sad...I just found an excalibur 9 tray dehydrator for 100 bucks on craigslist near my house and there is no way we can afford it right now. i'll just have to pray that it is still there in a few weeks....

btw...those brownies are amazing....i made them with cashews, dates, a little coconut and 1/2 cocoa 1/2 carob powder...who wouldn't want to eat raw when you can have stuff that tastes this good and is REAL food!!!!
I agree...my kids love them too...I haven't told them they are good for them. But I will if they keep eating them all on me Maybe that'll stop them.

I have to buy dates today..I can't live without my chocolates.

It's been raining here for several days...I need to walk..it's my only exercise.

We are moving into a new house in 33 days(but whose counting) and I get to set up my exercise equipment...yay!

cheers
carolyn
#183 of 210 Old 09-29-2006, 11:48 AM

I went ahead and tried them in the muffin cups. I made a new batch because the original recipe called for WAY to much cinnamon. It was so spicy I about choked when I tried them. I'll let you guys know how they turn out.

On another note I need some ideas for a raw lunch for my 1 and 2 yr old. We seem to be in a rut and my 2 yr old is sick of raw hummus everyday. I need something quick that I can make in around 15 to 20 minutes, tops. Thanks in advance!
#184 of 210 Old 09-29-2006, 12:02 PM

I go kind of heavy on dehyrated stuff for my kids because it tends to be fattier. They love sun burgers, falafels, and pecan burgers. They also love crackers that they can dip in a varitey of things.

They ask frequently for an apple walnut beet salad, cucumber avacado salad and nut pates.

Milkshakes (coconut water and meat from a young coconut, raw almond butter, a frozen banana, cinnamon and raw honey) are a big hit. I throw in extra coconut oil sometimes if they are needing more fat.

Ice cream (frozen banana, raw cashews, strawberries and honey) is good.

Sliced veggies with a raw dip is also a favorite.

Often I will just let them help with treats and that's a meal. I mean regardless of what you make, if it's raw it's pretty darn healthful. We made cookies yesterday that were just macadamias, walnuts, raisins and bananas.

My kids graze, they don't really eat meals. Over the course of the day (by their choice) they get plenty of what they need. They eat a large amount of greens in their morning smoothies, so all the other veggie consumption is kind of "gravy" to me.
#185 of 210 Old 09-29-2006, 01:56 PM

Yum, yum the apple walnut beet salad sounds so good. what do you use as a dressing? This sounds like something my little guy might enjoy.

TIA
#186 of 210 Old 09-29-2006, 02:17 PM

just lemon juice, honey and a pinch of salt.
#187 of 210 Old 09-29-2006, 02:23 PM

We have a pretty strict schedule in this house, as blasphemous as that is to say on MDC. My son really needed it as a baby and still goes to pieces when there is a change in his routine. We always have breakfast, lunch, dinner and a morning and afternoon snack at certain times. Definantly not my natural tendency since I'm a fairly disordered person, but my son NEEDS it.

Anyway...Do you have recipes or links for cracker, burger and falaffel recipes? (Not that you need exact recipes for raw but maybe an idea of whats in 'em and how long to 'cook' them?) And what do you serve the burgers with? Just by themselves and some veggies or do you make raw bread and make actual burgers?
#188 of 210 Old 09-29-2006, 04:49 PM

I don't think so at all. AP to me means recognizing and repecting the needs of your children whatever they may be. If your kids are sensitive in that way then you are doing exactly what they need (but you know that already! )

I don't have a link really, all of my good recipes come from Alissa Cohen's book. It's my raw food bible. It's fabulous and very easy. I highly recommend it-it's well worth the investment. Until then her site is www.rawfoodtalk.com She has alot of recipes listed there. If there are specific ones you want that you can't find, let me know.
#189 of 210 Old 09-30-2006, 06:44 PM

My kids need structure too...in everything...and they all do. It's not strict but there is a definite rhythm to our day and if not the kids are : and so am I>

I am now munching on a slice of date-nut torte..is that not the most delicious thing ever? I don't think I am sharing

I am going to do the salmon pate for dinner..on a bed of lettuce..yummy!
#190 of 210 Old 10-01-2006, 11:57 AM

oooooh, the date nut torte is FABULOUS! That was one of the first things I made for my dh!
#191 of 210 Old 10-01-2006, 02:01 PM
Banned

can i just put out there that i love raw desserts?

i decided to give up white sugar as part of my process of prepping to TTC. during pregnancy and lactation, i want to be sugar and gluten free.

so, i've been utilizing more raw recipes. i didn't consume a lot of sugar before (occassional ice cream, occassional cookies, etc), but now whenever i have a craving i make raw ice cream and related desserts and it's both nutritious and fun and . . . well.

life is easy.
#192 of 210 Old 10-01-2006, 10:05 PM

I made the rawvioli and loved it...can I refrigerate it and eat it again the next day? Or will it spoil? There is just too much for one person to eat.

cheers
Carolyn
#193 of 210 Old 10-01-2006, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgirls View Post
I made the rawvioli and loved it...can I refrigerate it and eat it again the next day? Or will it spoil? There is just too much for one person to eat.

cheers
Carolyn
i made it too! it was a huge hit. I put it on zuchini "spaghetti" and my kids were begging for more. even dh had a bowlful. it was so so good.

today we also made raw ice cream....yummy!

i think i was born to be a raw eater. as i have been trying new recipes, i realize i am not as stressed as i chop and prepare everything. i was a TERRIBLE cook. i was always so stressed out....chopping one thing while another thing was burning, then having to start over, or getting frustrated and just quitting the recipe all together. with raw food recipes, i never have to worry about that "timing" thing....i just chop until its done and mix things together. i am actually enjoying food preparation and before, cooking was so boring and stressful to me.

Laura- Wife to Jose, Mami to Adela (9/02) reading.gif, Lucas (2/04) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, and Ray (10/10) baby.gif.

#194 of 210 Old 10-01-2006, 11:30 PM

how long does this thread have to get before they will give us a subforum?:

Laura- Wife to Jose, Mami to Adela (9/02) reading.gif, Lucas (2/04) REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, and Ray (10/10) baby.gif.

#195 of 210 Old 10-02-2006, 09:59 AM

very long for months on end! We should start a monthly thread...eating raw in october or something.
#196 of 210 Old 10-02-2006, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefaery View Post
very long for months on end! We should start a monthly thread...eating raw in october or something.
good idea
#197 of 210 Old 10-02-2006, 11:47 AM

I am so excited that this thread is so large! I came to MDC months ago when I first went raw but didn't really see any raw threads. I might have even started one, but in the wrong section - I think I put it in the finding your tribe section... : ( I don't think I navigate here well, MDC is rather large, )

ANYWAY, I first went raw as a diet, switching over from very SAD... I haven't stayed 100% raw, or even vegan (because I still eat cheese occasionally) but I do love being a vegetarian and plan on staying one for the rest of my life. I am back to very HIGH raw now, (we had over a month straight of house guests, which really made it difficult for me to maintain the raw). I am not concerned about being 100% currently, but as much as I can. I have lost about 40 pounds so far. This makes me happy, but most surprising and interesting to me was how ENERGETIC I felt when I went 100% raw. I was amazed at it. I felt like I could accomplish anything and really take on the world. I had no idea I could feel like that, LOL!

I have several books currently. I have the Baby Greens book, love the recipe in it for beet angel hair pasta. I would be happy to share the recipe, gotta go get it first.

My oldest son has chosen to be vegetarian on his own! My husband is not interested though and neither is my daughter. I have been trying to learn how to make vegan cooked foods for dinner. (I have no experience in vegan or vegetarian cooking.) I figure, if I can get my act together enough, that I would like to serve raw dishes at every meal as a sidedish option for my family, full meal for myself, and a vegan or vegetarian main course. And probably will have to put a roast in the crockpot occasionally for my husband. That sounds like such a pain, but he has a huge appetite and if I don't do something like that, he will just keep getting fast food, which is more unhealthy ... so ... I am hoping the more they eat raw food, the more they eat MORE of it, ya know?

Anyway, it is nice to "meet" other raw food MDCers.
#198 of 210 Old 10-02-2006, 11:50 AM

Welcome! I know there have been several threads over the last year or so, but they can be hard to find. Glad to have you here!

And totally OT-my dh's family is all in Traverse City and Alpena!
#199 of 210 Old 10-02-2006, 11:57 AM

Waiting4it2snow~Wow..that's a lot of weight...I am trying to lose weight as well...no luck so far..but I just finished and now maybe I can get on track...I am hoping that raw eating will help with the hormone swings and such...I am lactating so I have to be careful but so far no effects on baby and no shortage of milk.

I ate leftover rawvioli for breakfast wierd...will have a nice fruit salad for lunch and more "pasta" for dinner.

I am in a weightloss group "TOPS" and am curious to see how eating raw helps me...I do find my cravings seem to be under control right now..and when they swing a raw brownie helps.

When you say "high raw" what do you mean? 100%? That's what I have been doing for the past 6 days.

I am now waiting for my bananas to ripen so I can make icecream..yummy!

What the heck does SAD mean? I just can't figure it out and am too lazy to try to look it up. The closest I can figure is "standard american diet"
#200 of 210 Old 10-02-2006, 12:24 PM

You got it! Standard American Diet-or as my friend says, Stupid American Diet.
#201 of 210 Old 10-02-2006, 02:05 PM

I just had to stop in to say that I loved the apple, beet walmut salad. My little guy didn't eat it as I hoped but at least there was more for me

I also love raw desserts. I made raw brownies this weekend and they were so yummy!
#202 of 210 Old 10-02-2006, 02:38 PM

anyone have some easy delicious salad dressing recipes...I like sweet dressings...I think if I had a few easy salad dressings I would eat more salads.

thanks
Carolyn
#203 of 210 Old 10-02-2006, 09:04 PM

Quote:
SO EASY.

Crust: 1.5 cups of soaked almonds, 1 cup dates. Blend in food processor and press into pie plate.

Filling: 3 cups soaked cashews, 1 cup honey, 1 cup coconut oil, 1 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed and a dash of vanilla. Blend in food processor, pour into filling and chill.

I put it into individual custard dishes and freeze it. I then transfer it to the fridge for an hour to soften a bit.
Okay, I made this pie TWICE since last Thursday and my dh is already halfway through the second one! He loved it soooo much! I scored some major "to the heart through the stomach" points!

I adjusted it this way though to meet our needs (cut recipe in half to start and used a standard pie dish):

Crust: 3/4 cup of raw pecans, 1/2 cup coconut flakes, a dash of sea salt and a few drizzles of agave nectar. Blend in food processor and press into pie plate.

Filling: 1 1/2 cups cashews (only soaked as long as it took to make crust), 1/2 cup agave nectar, 1/2 cup coconut oil, 1/4 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed (I cut the original amount of the recipe) and a dash of vanilla. Blend in food processor, pour into filling and chill.

We have also done some homemade sauces...one chocolate, one blueberry!
You could do fresh strawberries drizzled with agave too!
Mmmm!!!!
#204 of 210 Old 10-02-2006, 09:37 PM

check out the October thread
#205 of 210 Old 10-03-2006, 02:07 PM

moving to october...
#206 of 210 Old 10-05-2006, 05:46 PM

duplicate
#207 of 210 Old 10-08-2006, 01:37 AM

First of all, im kind of new to this forum and i find it VERY interesting to be here. I get to learn lots and lots of real life applications and theories or whatsoever. But honestly, i dont have a family yet but i would love to learn how to form a healthy family.

By the way, in my country, the term RAW food is facing extinction due to the processing and artificial ingredients added to the raw food. The only raw food i can find in my country, Malaysia that is, are simply as below.

Local grown fruits. Sengkuang (A malaysian fruit that i havent found the english name for it yet)
Local grown veggies. All green leaf vegetables that has not been sprayed by any chemicals.
Brown rice, Unprocessed

Well, the meals i normally have will be some random combination from 3 of the above mentioned source.
Rice with 2 dishes of veggies served with fruits, salad or both fruits and veggie salads.
I'm a typical asian so im not a fan of salad but i think its one of the best desert to have after a meal.

Its great to know how do people around the world take care of their health.
Since i rarely see anybody in my country even mentioned the truth of RAW food.
#208 of 210 Old 11-20-2006, 12:12 AM

Quote:
SO EASY.

Crust: 1.5 cups of soaked almonds, 1 cup dates. Blend in food processor and press into pie plate.

Filling: 3 cups soaked cashews, 1 cup honey, 1 cup coconut oil, 1 cup lemon juice freshly squeezed and a dash of vanilla. Blend in food processor, pour into filling and chill.

I put it into individual custard dishes and freeze it. I then transfer it to the fridge for an hour to soften a bit.

Does anyone have any suggestions how long I should let the almonds and cashews soak for??

Oh, and bump this thread! Is there another more current one that I'm missing??
#209 of 210 Old 11-20-2006, 07:04 PM

Almonds should soak for 8 hours, cashews don't have to go that long, but I tend to just start them both soaking at the same time. The less I have to remember the better!
#210 of 210 Old 11-22-2006, 05:29 AM

So I made the cheesecake. It turned out good but that was a lot of lemon juice! I think next time I will cut way down on that lemon juice and add another type of fruit. It was yummy though and my hubby (who is on the verge of going totally raw) loved it.

Also, my son really likes those raw brownies someone posted a while back - good snack for him.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page