Any RAW FOODISTS around? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 210 Old 08-12-2006, 12:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm a raw mama and even our kids are almost 100% raw. Would love to connect w/other raw families, share recipes and health-related experiences. I'm so excited to share good experiences! At 38, having birthed 3 babies, I'm thrilled to be healthier, stronger, have more endurance and feel better than I did in my teens and twenties. I've actually never felt as good as I have since going raw. Anyone have similar experiences?
#2 of 210 Old 08-12-2006, 11:16 AM

We're not raw but we do a fair bit and would really would like to do more. I'd love it if you'd share your favorite recipes and tips!

BTW: I absolutely adore your youngest girls name!
#3 of 210 Old 08-12-2006, 10:15 PM

I'm 100%, kiddos are 95% and dh just went 100%. I love it! I feel so clean. I don't know how else to describe it. And I honestly produce more milk when raw. We don't do a ton with the dehydrator, but I think I'll be doing more now that dh has made the commitment. I have a raw thread in the general section, but not everybody on it is vegan. I'll hang here with you unless you want to go there. I'd love to discuss with another who isn't using any animal products!
#4 of 210 Old 08-13-2006, 01:19 PM

I would love to eat more raw. Can you give me some ideas of what your food for a day looks like?
#5 of 210 Old 08-13-2006, 01:53 PM

For me it's something like this:

Smoothie (has raw cacao and nut butter and coconut oil along with fruit)
sliced fruit (maybe pineapple and grapes)
raw crackers with raw guacamole
a HUGE salad with a nut or seed pate
zucchini linguini with raw marinara
banana ice cream with a raw fudge sauce
date nut torte

or

Raw granola with sliced bananas and strawberries and raw almond milk
apple with raw walnut butter
raw gnocchi with macadamia nut cheese and marinara
salad with raw almond burger and lotsa sprouts
mock tuna stuffed in a tomato
raw fudge

or

raw brownie with macadamia's
fruit salad
raw slaw over greens with hempseed, pumpkin seed and sunflower seeds
raw fig newtons
green drink (kale, apple and lemon)
raw falafel with cucumber sauce and sliced tomato
a cucumber
raw strawberry pie

I LOVE raw because food is food-you can eat dessert for breakfast, or breakfast for dinner and it's all good.
#6 of 210 Old 08-13-2006, 10:08 PM

sounds yummy! I will have to give it more of a try
#7 of 210 Old 08-14-2006, 11:05 AM

I am really interested in going raw also, but I don't know the first thing about it. Does anyone have any links to online resources? I don't have money to buy books really.

Also, I'd love some of your recipes, firefaery, especially the dessert ones! And how do you make your green drink? Do you have a juicer or can it be done in the blender?
#8 of 210 Old 08-14-2006, 11:30 AM

I do it in a blender. There are a couple of sites that will have recipes. Nak at the moment and I'll try to find more: www.fromsadtoraw.com www.rawfoodtalk.com www.thegardendiet.com
#9 of 210 Old 08-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Banned

Thanks so much for the links! I'm fruit fasting right now getting ready to go vegan, thinking about raw. The recipe's sound fantastic!!

Question - I'm loosing weight right now. That is the goal, to get to my healthiest. I realize there is a lot of detox going on and that is a lot of the weight. But all the nuts and high fat foods? I'm still educating myself and changing my inner dialoge but can you really eat so many nuts (I LOVE NUTS) and still stay thin? I'm sure you can but I need to ask. I see my appetite changing so I'd imagine I wouldn't sit down and eat a can of nuts with a coke chaser (little joke) but really??? I'm reading recipe's etc... that use soaked nuts and then blend them. What are your portions like?
#10 of 210 Old 08-14-2006, 12:22 PM

Victoria, I think it depends on your metabolic type and where you are, bith dietarily and with your weight. Coming from an animal based standard american diet you'll lose weight if you eat nothing but nuts. Coming from a cooked vegan diet, same deal. If you were grain free, sugar free and eating a vegan diet that was high in veggies but they were cooked you may not see weight loss happen as rapidly if you consume a ton of nuts. My metabolic type is such that I require a ton of fats. So I have about 30 pounds to lose (just had a baby!) but I can do that eating a ton of fat. If you only have 8 pounds to lose, well, you may want to go lighter on the nuts. Does that answer your question? I'm pretty tired-LOL. Just listen to your body. IF your sking gets dry you aren't eating enough fats, so eat more.

My portion sizes are quite large if you are used to a SAD. I eat BIG salads. I eat when I'm hungry which some days is more than others. There really isn't a wrong way to start raw because your instinct does kick in. IF you are 100% and eating only nuts, that won't last long. You will start craving veggies and fruits. IT all balances out quite nicely.
#11 of 210 Old 08-14-2006, 12:32 PM
Banned

Thanks for the reply. I'm coming of a German diet right now so I've lost 10 pounds in a week just eating fruit! Bye Bye french fries! (good riddance) I do know what you mean. It's interesting to listen to my body. I told myself I was going to do fruit for as long as I can to do-tox and then add raw veggies (I'm using the Fit for Life concept right now). I was tempted to go to dinner salads today but then I realized I just wanted that out of habit of using a knife and fork but I'm actually very happy eating just fruits right now. I'm taking one day at a time and I'll see where it leads. I'm actually doing well with few major detox symptoms besides a fuzzy head. Even without caffien. I wasn't even planning on giving up caffien but if I don't really want it, why bother??

Thanks again!
#12 of 210 Old 08-14-2006, 04:36 PM

Hey Mamas

My dh and I have decided that we feel a raw vegan diet would be best for our family. We just recently moved back east and said once we came back here we would really focus on a raw diet. Unfortunately things have been so hectic getting back into the swing of things that I haven't been able to focus on learning more about going raw. We're vegetarians and eat all organic but we really wanna kick out the dairy (we drink soy milk tho) and go raw. Right now we eat like 95% of our veggies (and obviously fruits) raw but am looking forward to going all raw. So glad to find other raw mamas out there to communicate with.

Thanks for the links firefaery. I've been to thegardendiet.com but will definitely be checking the other links out.

Question: What was the toughest part about switching to complete raw?

My concern is family outings and such. It's really hard w/ what we're eating now when we visit family. I cringe when my daughter is offered things that aren't organic. Like when we go to MIL's house for the day or something and are served non-organic food but I feel like I can't say much because I'll sound rude because we are at their house. And if we brought our own food, dd would see her aunts/uncle/cousin (ages are 15 down to 5) eating different things and want that. How do I make her understand that she can't have what they have? I mean, I already have done that with alot of things, since we're vegetarians and she does understand extremely well but..I dunno..I just feel like dealing w/ family outings is gonna be a big struggle. What kind of experiences have you mamas had?
#13 of 210 Old 08-15-2006, 09:35 AM

Wow, thanks for those links firefaery! I spent ages yesterday researching raw foods. I've looked before but never found anything, but from the links you provided I was able to jump to all sorts of raw food sites.

I have some questions, if anyone feels like answering:

- Do you think we are intended to really eat completely raw? How does this jive in colder climates with needing warmth (I am in Canada, and imagining doing raw foods in January)? How does it jive with the idea of buying local produce? (Here in Canada we don't have much locally available fruit year round, everything is shipped in from somewhere else. Although I suppose most of our food in winter is shipped in from somewhere else, whether you cook it or not).

- Raw foodist culture as I was reading on the discussion boards appears very focused on weight loss. There is a lot of discussion that resembles what I've seen on "pro-ana" sites, like logging food consumed, talking about being ashamed and disgusted when bingeing on cooked food, talking about strong cravings for cooked food. Is this a reflection of most raw foodist culture, or specific to the discussion board I was reading?

- Those who are raw, how much raw vs. cooked food do you eat?

- Do you feel more energetic? Do you ever feel more tired?

- Are your kids raw? What does that look like? Like, what do you feed them?
#14 of 210 Old 08-15-2006, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright
- Do you think we are intended to really eat completely raw?
I do. A raw vegan diet just makes sense to me... to give your body nothing but whole organic raw food. I've also read The Essene Book of Peace 1-4 and in the first book Jesus actually says to eat nothing but raw. (Most people wouldn't think so though..unfortunately) And ff you make bread, let it be cooked by the sun and nothing else. I've always believed that Jesus must have been a vegetarian (or quite possibly vegan) and I've read many things to back up my thoughts. I mean, how could it be otherwise? Jah created everything, yes. So what would make man think that killing animals would be ok? Jah gave us every herb and plant for "meat." Anyways, I'm rambling. That's just my take on it. It's mainly a ethical/spirtual thing for me but also health reason...for sure.
#15 of 210 Old 08-15-2006, 10:00 AM

BTW - Good questions bright. I'll definitely be : around this one.
#16 of 210 Old 08-15-2006, 12:00 PM

I think we are meant to eat the vast majority of our food raw. AT least 80%. I do not believe we were meant to eat grains very much if at all. I base my opinions of the amount of enzymes we are capable of producing and by the nutrients/properties of food.

most raw foodists are focused on health-a part of that is being at your ideal weight. IT is no secret that that is how your body functions optimally. Coming off the SAD or even a relatively healthful vegan diet many people have weight to loose and damage to heal. Losing weight on this diet is also so much more, it's losing toxins. You will see people talking about it alot, but not in an unhealthful, calorie counting way. People are pursuing the best, most healthful version of themselves. That may or may not mean they are staring at the scale. I think for me (I have no real body image issue) I am fascinated by how fast the weight drops, so when I discuss it it's more about being in awe!

I am in New England. I was raw this past winter and it was fine. I think you have an advantage starting it now in milder weather. I ate more fats than I do now and more dehydrated foods, but I was fine. I had no problem having a smoothie and going out to shovel!

I eat 100% raw, my kids are more like 95%. I figure as long as I keep them at at least 85% we are fine. Over the summer they prefer to be around 100% but I'm not crazed about it. IF the want an Organic Vegan Food Bar (90% raw) they can absolutely have it. I feel fabulous and have a TON of energy. I require far less sleep. You'll find that after a week or two that that's the case.

My kids days:
fruit and nut butters in the morning...either loose or in a smoothie.
Apple with raw almond butter
banana with raw walnut butter
coconut ice cream
coconut "milkshake" with banana and almond butter
bowl of berries (black, strawberries, blue, raspberry)
raw granola with a side of grapes
Avacado pudding
salad with greens, sprouts, olives, tomato and cucumber
almond burger with guacamole
raw hummus with carrots
nut cheese on onion "bread"
nut torte with cashew cream
raw fruit crisp with banana ice cream
raw fig cookies
veggie crackers (dehydrated) with a veggie/nut dip

Really they just eat what they want. Most of their greens are in a smoothie, but they are willing to eat salad. THey also love Chlorella.

Buying locally isn't possible for me in the winter. I use some produce that I freeze, but I also accept that I have to get some things shipped. HTH.
#17 of 210 Old 08-15-2006, 04:37 PM
Banned

question -

Is it expensive to eat raw? I look at the recipe's and consider the cost of nut and seeds etc... as well as produce. I would imagine you have to do a lot of shopping at specialty stores.

I realize the initial investment of a vita-mix or another great juicer/grinder/food processer. I'm not sure about the dehydrator yet. But, after you get your initial cupboard filled how much do you spend on groceries? I'd imagine you eat less too so that would be taken into consideration.

OOH-

another question - where do you stand on the dehydrated foods? Why?

Thanks! I'm so facinated by this lifestyle!
#18 of 210 Old 08-15-2006, 04:46 PM

I think dehydrated foods are fine in moderation. I use more in the winter months. Fresh is best though! IT's handy in that if you overbuy, overgrow or just have too much food for some reason you can preserve it well.

It is expensive. At first. After about a month or so you eat less. Transition is tough in that you go through alot of food.

I shop at only two places-whole foods and a littke asian market. I do farm stands when I can, but those two places give me all I really need. I do get things through a coop though once a month. There's not a ton of running around-except that you generally have to go every three days or so because you don't want greens and things going bad.
#19 of 210 Old 08-15-2006, 04:53 PM

firefaery ~ How do you handle family gatherings and such. Do you just bring your own food for your family?
#20 of 210 Old 08-15-2006, 08:02 PM

I bring several dishes-they never get left untouched! People love raw food-just don't tell them what it is We have significant food allergies so it's very well tolerated. Ds goes to Nursery school and I send him his own snack. The kids more often than not ask for what he's having. I was begged by several people for my recipe from his birthday party! I've never felt out of place-my kids haven't ever questioned it either. Even though he's the odd man out, ds has apparently asked for the "house" snack at school.
#21 of 210 Old 08-16-2006, 10:24 AM

firefaery ~ how do you make raw hummus?

I made a raw brownie recipe yesterday and it was delicious.

I am thinking of trying to do one meal per day raw, and see how it goes.
#22 of 210 Old 08-16-2006, 10:44 AM

I would love the hummus recipe too.

Can you make things like crackers raw? my kids love to snack on them
#23 of 210 Old 08-16-2006, 11:07 AM

Yes! raw crackers are great. We make sweet and savory depending on what else we're eating. My favorite are rosemary-great for hummus and guacamole!

Raw hummus-You can just soak and sprout chickpeas and make using raw tahini. It's okay. I have another recipe that I like better that doesn't involve beans. I'll post when I'm not nakking.
#24 of 210 Old 08-16-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright
I am thinking of trying to do one meal per day raw, and see how it goes.
that's a good idea. i think i'm gonna try that. i'm also working on eliminating dairy.
#25 of 210 Old 08-16-2006, 11:26 AM

I used to do the raw-food thing. Wish I could go back, but that's unrealistic for me. I need to do something a little less extreme, in order to stay consistent. (I did it mainly for weight loss, and would binge so badly). I loved the way I felt when I was on it, but I just rebounded SO much! Anyway...I spent TONS of money on a GREEN POWER juicer (one of the BEST!) and several juicing, raw food cookbooks. I'm thinking about putting them on the TP. The juicer is SO HEAVY, though...what would you do about shipping it? Do you think there'd be any interest?
#26 of 210 Old 08-16-2006, 11:31 AM

I'm very interested in the juicer-it is one of the best. Is it the single or double auger? Which model and which attachments? How much are you looking for? Let me know-pm me if you'd prefer.
#27 of 210 Old 08-17-2006, 01:37 AM

I am just starting to live a raw food lifestyle. I am still eating tofu in my salads but other than that i am 100% raw. I am continuing the tofu only until I am confident I am eating properly...I guess I will gauge that by how I am feeling.

So far my foods are

breakfast...fruit...usually sliced bananas/apples with raw coconut, a few pecans and some sunflower seeds

snack...some dried fruit(apricots are my favourite), nuts and dates

lunch...some sort of trail mix, salad, fruit

snack...smoothie..today was green tea with frozen watermelon and mango

dinner...LARGE salad

snack...bowl of fruit and a pina colada smoothie...(coconut milk and pineapple)

Today I ate more than usual...I am ovulating and usually have a day or two of cravings.

Weight loss...I haven't weighed..it's not the reason for this for me. I checked out The Garden Diet website and they looked so healthy I want that for myself...can you believe Storm is nearly 60?

I am getting a little stuck for recipes.

I don't have a juicer, food processor, dehydrator or any other gadgets beyond a blender. I am very limited.

I am looking for salad recipes mainly to get me by

I did make raw tacos one day..mmmmm

My family is not even vegetarian but they eat a lot of raw simply because it's what I make a lot.

bright...I would love a raw brownie recipe...I think it's that sort of thing that might get the family eating raw.

firefaery...coconut icecream...I need that recipe as well...I LOVE coconut anything.

I hadn't even thought to eat nut butters..

I may purchase The Garden Diet online package...I can't afford it now but maybe later in the year.

raw crackers...sound yummy...I was missing something to dip.

I love dip for veggies..are there any raw veggie dip recipes..besides quacamole?
#28 of 210 Old 08-17-2006, 02:20 AM

Good thread!

We've been (almost unintentionally) eating raw as of lately. I find it's much easier for me in the summer because I crave cool, raw vegetables and fruit which are in season. It's nice to see what the raw mamas are eating cause it gives me more ideas.

I've been trying out all sorts of raw recipes. I recently took a raw italian cooking class. One of my fave recipes was rawwwvioles - roma tomatos, sliced, with pesto sandwiched between them, then dehydrated for 12 hours at 115 degrees and then flipped and dehydrated for a little while longer. So yummy.

I just made a raw lasagna the other night. It turned out super yummy. And of course the raw chocolate coconut creme pie. Sooo yummy.

My only thing is that sometimes I feel like like my tummy does agree too well with too many nuts. I feel real good after eating a raw meal, but the next morning I am so hungry and feel like I'm missing something in my diet - like a deficency in something, ya know? I realize that there's a period of adjustment when doing a raw diet, and my body needs to get used to it... And I can only usually have just one piece of the raw lasagna cause it's potent! The flavors are so rich! Which I love and I read in a raw book recently how when you eat raw you eat foods in teh full potency, which made sense cause the other night I roasted some veggies and they didn't look half as pretty as they do pre-cooked. But you don't really think about that when you're so used to cooking all your veggies. And then the other night I went out and had some dinner and I was just so much more aware of the foods going into my body and how they made my body feel...

A good thing about this raw summer, though, has been that I've dropped 20 pounds that needed to go. Along with exercise.
#29 of 210 Old 08-17-2006, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgirls

bright...I would love a raw brownie recipe...I think it's that sort of thing that might get the family eating raw.
Sure... here you go. Apparently the key is to process it enough, but not too much. Process it til it holds together in a brownie-esque fashion.

Brownies

1 cup walnut (unsoaked)
1 cup dates (pitted unsoaked)
1/4 cup cocoa powder (you may use carob if you like)

place in food processor/blender, and blend until well blended, should still be dry and chunky, maybe blend about 30 seconds,

press into a small spring form pan

refridgerate until you can insert a knife and it isn't too sticky

cut into little pieces, then pop into a zip lock baggie and freeze

they can be eaten fresh, from the fridge or from the freezer.

And here is a recipe for something called "Store Bought Frosting:"

1T. coconut butter
1T. cocoa
few grains sea salt
squirt agave
few drops vanilla

I made some the other day, and they are gone! They are really yummy, and pretty easy to make.
#30 of 210 Old 08-17-2006, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamegn
rawwwvioles - roma tomatos, sliced, with pesto sandwiched between them, then dehydrated for 12 hours at 115 degrees and then flipped and dehydrated for a little while longer. So yummy.

I just made a raw lasagna the other night.
Those meals sound delicious! Would you mind posting recipes?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page