HELP!! Vegan question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-01-2003, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay. I cannot make food for myself during the day. Then I starve, and then binge and I am losing wieght SO SLOWLY! My mom checked this one orange pineapple slim fast with my book and it's vegan and she said I should just keep them handy for an easy snack, but I'm kind of not into that, KWIM? My mom is usually so healthy too... Anyway, i'm eating a bit of plain Whole Soy yogurt each time I get hungry during the day, because it's already ready and I can grab it and scarf it and then throw the tub back in the fridge. I love the stuff, so it's been a challenge not to keep eating it, but I'm doing okay.

So my question is, can anyone think of a wholesome vegan snack that is already ready, healthy, not too fattening and might come in a few different flavors? I'm trying to avoid a lot of sugar, and the Whole Soy has some, but the flavors have lots more. Think meal replacement, you know, some carbs, some protein, easy easy eays. I'm at my wits end. I think the yogurt was a great idea, but I know I'll get burnt out on it fast. I'm open to something I could prepare once a week and use throughout the week, but I'm NOT going to prepare anything during the day. I've found that I would rather starve than toast bread even. Jeez, you'd think I'd lose weight fast the way I starve myself...

Lauren
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2003, 11:02 AM

Does it have to be a snack, or can it be an easy meal? I am not clear if you are talking 'easy meal replacement' or an easy between meals snack, so forgive me if I am no help whatsoever...

I know you mentioned you don't want to even toast bread, but if I could persuade you to fire up the old micro or toaster, I'd have lots of ideas for you.

How about making a big bowl of hummus and eating it throughout the day/week with crackers? Or black bean dip with low fat chips? Add a piece of fruit and it's really a complete and filling meal/snack.

Or you could bake a few potatoes and make a pot of vegan chili with lots of vegs and tofu in it. Store them in the fridge, and when you are hungry nuke a potato covered in chili?

I really love baked sweet potatoes with bbq black beans - same principle as above, bake a few potatoes ahead of time and make a pot of black beans to last throughout the week.

There is always nut butter with whole grain crackers and fruit.

Vegan Vittles (great cookbook!) has a delicious recipe for chickpeas ala king that tastes great on whole grain toast. You could whip up a pot of that and when hungry nuke it and put it on a piece of toast.

You could always make or buy alot of veg. sushi and eat that when hungry.

Pasta salad? Rice salad? Any kind of grain and tofu salad?

How about greek salad? Assemble the greens and veggies, have the tofu feta substitute and olives in a separate container and the dressing also seperate and assemble as needed?

I hope these all haven't been too labor intensive for you, but I am really having a hard time thinking of foods that require no preparation or cooking at all. How about baked tofu, vegan lunch 'meats', nuts, seeds, dried fruits, and of course, soy yogurt? That's about the extent of what I can come up with!

I hope I helped! :

flowersforyou.gif

Old 04-02-2003, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

not at all. thanks. bump.
L
Old 04-02-2003, 07:02 PM

How about munching on nuts and dried fruit? I end up doing that-I can't make meals either. I open the bags and eat them as I pass the kitchen. I also munch pretzels and bits of cheese- maybe soy cheese? For me, the key to keeping going is some protein. Even protein shakes are too much trouble for me to make... (I am vegetarian but eat dairy...)

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right

User Tag List