Vegetarian advocacy t-shirts for child? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-11-2006, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. I don't normally post in this forum. I became a vegetarian 7 years ago, but in recent years, I've been eating meat on occasion.

My husband is not veggie, but he eats like one at home. We agreed to raise our sons veggie until they were old enough to make a decision. That's worked really well. We don't talk about vegetarian issues around the kids and our families have both meat-eaters and vegetarians.

I don't think my oldest has ever realized that people eat animals and that he doesn't. He assumed that everything was eating plants. When he realized that lions don't eat grass at 3 (I think he was 3), he was concerned and wanted to know if the lions felt badly for eating other animals. Then, shortly before he turned 5, he saw lobster tails in the grocery store and wanted to know how people got the tails off. He was horrified and upset that the lobsters tails were cut off without regard to their feelings on the matter. That became a segue into a discussion of how some people/animals eat other animals and how some don't. I tried to be very objective and I told him it was his choice to make. He has decided to not eat animals.

Of course, we support him in his choice to be vegetarian. Truthfully, I'm a little proud of him. He's been asking about "chicken muscles" and "cow muscles" so much now. And when he sees if someone is eating animal muscles, he expresses concern, like "Where are the shrimps' eyes? How did they cut their eyes off?", "How do they cut the cow's skin? But that might HURT the cow!!". He's had me nearly crying on at least one occasion. He's basically going to help me get back to vegetarianism. Even the smell of meat bothers him.

At any rate, we support him in his choice. And I would really like to get him some kind of vegetarian t-shirt, like an advocacy t-shirt. Does anyone know of a good online vendor that might sell those for kids, with catchy mottos?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 09-11-2006, 11:15 AM

aww - so sweet!!

cafepress! http://www.cafepress.com/ (put in something like "animal rights" for your search term)

peta stuff: http://petacatalog.org/apparel.asp

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" - Gandhi
My Livi bear 10/26/2006
#3 of 3 Old 09-11-2006, 08:41 PM

http://www.vegetarianbaby.com/

This web site has some cute little t-shirts and bibs and things. They also have stickers and pins that you can put on your child when they go to parties or day care or even church activities. They say things like "Careful I'm allergic to milk" or "I don't eat meat or dairy". In fact I have some if someone wants them. The pins that is. I had dreams of raising this sweet little veggie kid. Well my DS's favorite food is meatloaf. He knows that mommy does not eat anything with a face, but daddy and he do eat meat. And he's pretty vocal about not wanting to change. Anyway, if you want the pins send me your address and I'll mail them to you, if I can still find them.

There's also another site that makes all kinds of advocacy clothing from breastfeeding to cloth diapering to homebirthing. You pick out the style clothing you want and what you want on it and she makes it with machine embrodery. Prices are pretty good and she's fairly fast. I think she is at granolathreads.com. I'll look for the address and add it tothis message. Yeah I was right, the address is:

http://granolathreads.com/store/Default.asp

Kathi

:::Mom to 5 adult children and 8 year old, Dakota "Why do they call it homeschool, we're never at home?"

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page