Good veg cookbooks? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 84 Old 04-21-2008, 01:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
[QUOTE=mamabeca;11037383]

I love love Celebration of Wellness, though it does have some more complicated meals. I use it whenever I am wanting to make something wonderful, fancy, for friends/dinner party etc. Everything comes out tasting awesome (and seriously, I am NOT a chef!), people who eat this stuff just RAVE. The recipes are somewhat more complicated, but the ingredients are very substitute-friendly.
[quote]

I love that book too - though I haven't used it in ages for some reason. I used to cook for a deli at a health food store and everyone would really rave when I made the soups from that cookbook.

Recently - I've been loving ExtraVeganZa. Really good - I have a complete review of it on www.vegfamily.com

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 84 Old 05-06-2008, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Vegan Planet
#63 of 84 Old 05-26-2008, 08:32 PM

Feeding the Whole Family by Cynthia Lair
I didn't see this mentioned, it's not vegetarian but most of the recipes are vegan-friendly. It's all healthy, whole-foods recipes. I'm vegan and use it all the time, it gives adaptations to use for babies 6 months and older, babies 10 months and older and variations children might appreciate. I love it!
#64 of 84 Old 07-28-2008, 03:20 AM

I'm sure they've been mentioned but I worship the ground Deborah Madison walks on and have cooked the hell out of Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone. I also like her Suppers cookbook.

How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman is new to me and so far it's been more hit and miss than Deborah Madison. Some really good easy recipes but some that are way too crunchy for my taste.

Me: almost 40, RN DW: 38, CPD Boy: born 4/2/2007 Girl: born 8/23/2010
Queer Parenting since 2007
#65 of 84 Old 08-16-2008, 01:22 AM

I like Claire's Corner Copia Cookbook by Claire Criscuolo. Wow, that's some nice alliteration...
#66 of 84 Old 08-28-2008, 09:25 AM

Oh, this is a 'dangerous' thread! LOL I already ordered 2 more cook books that have been mentioned here.. and I know, Hubby will say "You already have so many!" when I get them in the mail (I would have liked to at least get 6 more that are mentioned here, but I didn't want to overdo it. LOL I better get them little by little )

One book that hasn't been mentioned yet (I think?) is Great Vegetarian Cooking Under Pressure It made me fall in love with the pressure cooker; an item I wouldn't want to miss nowadays anymore!

Does anyone have following books and can recommend them?
-Vegan Lunch Box: 150 Amazing, Animal-Free Lunches Kids and Grown-Ups Will Love!
-Vegan Deli - Joanne Stepaniak
-The Saucy Vegetarian - Joanne Stepaniak

I'm asking because we're currently living in Italy and many things are really hard to get (even things like tofu, tempeh etc. you have to hunt down and travel close to 1hr to get it!) and some are only available online with high shipping costs..

I'm mainly looking for books that don't require many different, unusual items but more fresh veggies and stuff I could possibly get locally?

~*Val*~ Vegan SAHM to DD (2/02) DS (7/05) 6x and wife to my best friend.
#67 of 84 Old 08-28-2008, 01:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have the original Vegan Lunch Box and it is amazing. I love it - not just for lunches. I also have Vegan Deli. It you eat a lot of salads, it's a good choice.

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#68 of 84 Old 08-28-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathe View Post
I have the original Vegan Lunch Box and it is amazing. I love it - not just for lunches.
: I love it too, it's great and kid-friendly.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#69 of 84 Old 12-18-2008, 06:11 PM

Vegan With a Vengeance is indeed a great cookbook, but the majority of the recipes call for ingredients I don't stock up on, and not just one or two of them either. I've only tried a few books and I run into the same problem, but in the future, I plan to try some more. VWAV will be saved for special occasions because I do love it even though I need to plan ahead to get any use out of it.
#70 of 84 Old 12-29-2008, 11:04 PM

If you don't like to use a lot of tofu/tempeh/seitan, the Donna Klein cookbooks are GREAT (Vegan Italiano and the Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen). She only uses whole foods, no fake meats/cheeses.

I also love Dreena Burton's Eat, Drink and Be Vegan. She includes a lot of wheat/gluten free stuff as well.
#71 of 84 Old 01-28-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appifanie View Post
"vegan with a vengeance" by isa chandra moskowitz! best cookbook ever!!
:Agreed, loved everything I've made from this!
#72 of 84 Old 03-22-2009, 01:56 AM

the heretics guide to vegan cookery by andy murray is utterly fantastic. basic ingredients with fantastic results,,, vegonomicon and vegan with a vengence are great tooooooo... and dont forget vegan cupcakes take over the world...
#73 of 84 Old 03-22-2009, 07:30 PM

Haven't read all the replies but my favorites are:

Vegan With A Vengeance
Simply Vegan &
Vegan Vittles
#74 of 84 Old 05-25-2009, 10:22 AM

I didn't see Didi Emmons' books mentioned:

Vegetarian Planet

Entertaining for a Veggie Planet.

I haven't had a single bad recipe out of these books. There are many Vegan options as well. Really excellent stuff!
#75 of 84 Old 06-11-2009, 12:53 AM

Ok, it's late and I'm gettin' sleepy so if it's been mentioned, I'm sorry.

I got New Vegetarian Cuisine by Linda Rosenweig at my local library. (Not sure how 'new' it is by time I got my hands on it!!) It's a good starter cookbook since we recently made the transition to vegetarian. Most recipes are for lacto-ovo- vegetarians, but there are a few vegan recipes. Lots of ideas for pasta sauces, etc. Nothing too exciting, because I sure wouldn't have read it otherwise! ISBN 0-97596-168-1

Best of luck!

Since '05 just me and B, but in 2/08 E made three!
#76 of 84 Old 06-29-2009, 03:15 AM

The New Farm Vegetarian cookbook -its an old standby for me.
I also love Laurels Kitchen and bread book and How it all Vegan, the garden of Vegan and the Docile Vegan.

now I am off to the online library site to request a bunch of cookbooks

Unschooling, wannabe farmers with DP, DS1 (02), DS2 (06), and DD (08) on The Farm by the sea. And maker of SuzysBeesWraps

#77 of 84 Old 08-03-2009, 06:05 PM

Easiest no-fuss book you'll ever get your hands on is How to Eat Like a Vegetarian, Even if You Never Want to Be One by Patti Breitman and Carol Adams. It's choc-filled with vegan recipe ideas that are very easy and quick to prepare.
#78 of 84 Old 04-09-2010, 02:32 PM

I want to jump on the Isa Chandra Moskowitz bandwagon. I have three of her books: Vegan with a Vengance, Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, and Veganomicon.

For everyday cooking (especially great grain-based salads you can take into work for lunch, which can also be easily altered for your taste/grain preferences), I would have to choose Veganomicon over VWaV, because I find the recipes to be more supermarket-friendly and just overall easier and more delicious.

For special occasions, I absolutely *adore* Vegan Cupcakes! I have brought a variation of her chocolate cupcakes with cookies and cream icing into work for my birthday (I'm a teacher) and have managed to convince some very skeptical students that vegan cooking can be delicious!

Also in my must-have rotation:
Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home
Moosewood Restaurant Low Fat Favorites
(I've found you can actually tweak a few of their fish recipes to work with tofu/tempeh, if you're so inclined.)

I found Crescent Dragonwagon's book to be a bit overwhelming (and I really wish it had some pictures), so while it's on my cookbook shelf, I don't use it too often.

One final recommendation, although it falls into the category of books I don't use too often because the recipes are either 1. too complicated (only for special occasions), 2. require hard-to-get ingredients, or 3. both 1 &2, is Madhur Jaffrey's [I]World Vegetarian/I]. It was a gift from a friend, and while it has some really inspiring and delicious-sounding recipes, I feel like I never have the time or ingredients to make most of what I'd like to from the book.

Now I'll have to go check out some of the other cookbooks on this thread!

I before E, except after C.  Weird.
DD: 8/2010.
#79 of 84 Old 07-08-2010, 05:27 AM

Thanks but no thanks for this thread! I now own at least a half dozen veg*n cookbooks - and secretly wish that I could own them all . . .

Akie, single mom to M (02/18/06), E (08/04/07) and Z (06/22/09)
#80 of 84 Old 07-23-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantesmama View Post
I am in search of a vegetarian cookbook with healthy, easy recipes. I'm not too handy in the kitchen, and most veg cookbooks I've read call for a lot of ingredients (which I really can't afford) or aren't too health-conscious. We aren't really into anything too "exotic" tasting, either. I'm just tired of making the same 10-15 dishes over and over again.
Can anyone recommend a few good titles? Thank you!

1001 Low Fat Vegetarian Recipes. No pictures, but tons of recipes that are labeled ovo-lacto, vegan, etc. Very easy, and I like it. I got it for less than 10 bucks on Ebay.

I'd love support------>
#81 of 84 Old 07-26-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r14stars View Post
If you don't like to use a lot of tofu/tempeh/seitan, the Donna Klein cookbooks are GREAT (Vegan Italiano and the Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen). She only uses whole foods, no fake meats/cheeses.

I also love Dreena Burton's Eat, Drink and Be Vegan. She includes a lot of wheat/gluten free stuff as well.
I second the books from Donna Klein, for the same reason. She uses whole foods. Everything I have made from her book The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen came out fantastic! I cant wait for it to cool off a bit so I can turn the stove back on!

Jennifer, first time Mom, working full time, married to Paul. Katherine "Kate" Mary Lou was born 8.10.10.
#82 of 84 Old 09-09-2010, 04:00 PM

i just got this book from the library and love it
Clean Food
http://terryskitchen.net/clean-food/
#83 of 84 Old 09-29-2010, 11:58 AM

I love The Farm cookbook (yes, Ina May's Farm!), The Modern Vegetarian Kitchen (amazing spinach tofu quiche recipe), and Get It Ripe by Jae Steele.
#84 of 84 Old 12-21-2011, 06:34 PM

The Veganomicon and Vegan With a Vengeance, by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero

The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Joanne Stepaniak

Everyday Vegan by Jeani-Rose Atchison (a VERY good, lesser-known cookbook;  I would go so far as to say it is the most reliable cookbook I own, with every recipe working well)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page