Vegans (and also vegetarians)! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 04-06-2003, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wrote a column for a website on my lifestyle choice as a vegan. Check it out if you're interested:

http://www.babynames.com/V5/index.ph...ent=myview.php

It's been pretty well received but right now I'm a bit hurt by the comments I have been recently receiving ...

Lots of people are trying to justify eating meat with God and their (Christian) religion, and in the same sentence tell me I'm 'wrong' for being Buddhist. Talk about intolerance.

Also, they go on about how healthy meat and dairy are (there are 'studies' on that... : ) and that not eating or purchasing any animal products is 'stupid'.

I am also disappointed that the owners of the site would publish comments like that, that are really just insulting, but oh well...

I really need some of you to write about your positive experiences as vegans, I would really appreciate it!!

(I posted this thread for vegans and vegetarians so if you are reading this and you do think eating meat is great, that's fine, but please don't yell at me or start a big debate on it! Sorry, feeling a bit defensive at the moment)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 04-07-2003, 12:19 AM

I have been mostly vegetarian since 1990. I have had no red meat since then, but have gone back and forth with poultry and fish. I recently cut out dairy all together. I have a 22 month old son who seems to be allergic to dairy, so since I'm nursing, I stopped eating it too. Difficult! I am not much of a milk drinker...actually, now that I know too much about it...I can't bring myself to drink it at all. The hard part is that it is *in* so much!

I simply want to say that I think veganism is wonderful and that I SUPPORT YOU and aspire to be totally vegan someday...when I'm not busy momming and surviving. Or, anything is possible...maybe I'll get there before I'm outta the thick of it.
I am a low income single mom of two young boys, so big dietary changes are difficult to make...especially since my six year old is now very used to dairy and doesn't like the alternative. I still let him have it when we are out... ex. I get a vegan pizza for Blue and I and he eats a dairy slice. I'm striving!

BEST to you! Great job!

PS Your dietary choices are your business!
#3 of 15 Old 04-07-2003, 12:22 AM

Oh, hey, meant to say (duh) that since eliminating dairy I FEEL MUCH BETTER! I have fewer mucous issues...fewer yeast infections...and I am more... regular. ....Call me Queen Tangential!
#4 of 15 Old 04-07-2003, 04:42 AM
Banned

I'm one of those who think meat's fine, but I don't want to make it sound like vegans are "stupid" just because they don't think like me. I think what's most important is to follow your inner voice and knowing what kind of food makes you feel good, since that will be different for each one of us. I base alot of my opinios about nutrition on native diets, and although most traditional people ate animal products in some form, there were those who, based on ethics would avoid meat if they could, like Australian Aborigines (although they considered fish OK). So, avoiding meat for moral reasons, is reason enough, even though the human body is capable of digesting meat.
I hope that rather than trying to insult or being defensive about our nutritional choices, we can provide personal experiences and references, since all of us here are concerned about healthy eating.
I think it's always important to stay open-minded and flexible when it comes to our diet, because much of what we have come to rely on is based on science, and science is ever changing.

Josefina.
#5 of 15 Old 04-07-2003, 05:31 AM

I got stretch marks, hearburn and carpal tunnel and PUPPs or whatever- a nasty hormonal rash. yuck. I think you are just a lucky vegan. at least in that regard. I posted a reply to your article, I don't know if it will be posted. I kindof made myself sound like a Christian because I knew that if I said I wasn't and talked about Christianity they wouldn't listen. Can you respond to responders? We'll see I guess.
Lauren (I used my initials, Les)
#6 of 15 Old 04-07-2003, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by veganmamma

I got stretch marks, heartburn and carpal tunnel and PUPPs or whatever- a nasty hormonal rash. yuck. I think you are just a lucky vegan. at least in that regard.
HAHA You are probably right.
#7 of 15 Old 04-07-2003, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

ps. To Morsan: I appreciate your post. I just wanted to say that I don't make my nutritional choices on the basis of science (although I have studied the field for years) but on the basis of *my* ethical and spiritual beliefs. (I also am my own science laboratory in that I am much healthier as a vegan than ever before in my life. )

I've explained it further in my column.
#8 of 15 Old 04-07-2003, 06:51 PM

What an awesome & inspiring article! I read the comments as well &, to be honest, the negative ones just look bad on the ppl who wrote them.
#9 of 15 Old 04-07-2003, 10:18 PM

I did not read your article, but the link below has some christian reponses to attacks on vegetarianism.

http://www.christianveg.com/
#10 of 15 Old 04-08-2003, 03:04 AM
Banned

eternal_grace, I didn't read your column, but I assumed that you didn't base your choices on science, but on moral reasons. I was just referring to other vegans who do so.

Josefina.
#11 of 15 Old 04-11-2003, 04:00 PM

i posted a response under regina

my father in recently suffered a heart attack and the first thing the dr asked was about his diet.

i too, dont base my diet/lifestyle on science BUT i highly doubt the american heart association will chaneg its mind and start recommending *more* red meat/dairy to promote a healthier and longer life!! ha!!

also, a lot of people bring up evolution ("my ancestors lived on meat...") for me, vegansim is a part of my *personal* evolution.

one last thing, for the peopel who bring up religion (namely chritianity) remind them that seventh day adventists are veggie/vegan!

great article!!!
#12 of 15 Old 04-12-2003, 01:30 AM
Banned

Red meat contains nutrients which protect and strengthen the heart. Many studies also prove that beef fat does not increase cholesterol, and in animal studies beef fat actually lowers cholesterol levels. Beef consumption has increased but so has our consumption of refined foods and polyunsaturated vegetable oils, while healthy foods, like veggies, fruits, grains and eggs are no longer as common.

Josefina.
#13 of 15 Old 04-12-2003, 02:39 PM

Since you requested noone start a debate here I will respect that.
As a fellow vegan I think your article was great!
Thanks for putting it out there.
#14 of 15 Old 04-12-2003, 03:59 PM

I'm a vegeatarian and have been vegan at times and would like to be. I have found myself eating cheese and yogurt in an effort to get enough calories while nursing. Taht said, I support veganism.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#15 of 15 Old 04-12-2003, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by VenalAnatomica:
Since you requested noone start a debate here I will respect that.
Ditto.
L

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page