Raising a vegetarian baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 10-13-2006, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there a nutritional book that includes recipes for raising a vegetarian baby?

I have an 8 month and have started solids but i don't really know what I'm doing and would like some resources.

Any book recomendations?

TIA
#2 of 27 Old 10-13-2006, 09:03 PM

We used these:

Simply Natural Baby Food, Cathe Olson
The Healthy Baby Meal Planner, Annabel Karmel
Raising Vegetarian Children, Joanne Stepaniak and Vesanto Melina

The first 2 aren't exclusively vegetarian but had a lot of veggie recipes that we liked. Rasing Vegetarian Children was the best one, in our opinion, and addresses all sorts of issues - from what to introduce when to holidays with non-veggie family to school lunch issues.

Hope that helps.

Unschooling mama to one 5 year old DD.
#3 of 27 Old 10-13-2006, 11:59 PM

Super Baby Food is also a good resource. Early versions were completely vegetarian. The current version I think she put in 2 or 3 meat dishes - but with a long forward about how she didn't want to, etc. but got such feedback on the early version, etc.
Breezy88 likes this.
#4 of 27 Old 10-14-2006, 09:00 AM

NEW Vegetarian Baby
by Sharon K. Yntema, Christine H. Beard

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" - Gandhi
My Livi bear 10/26/2006
#5 of 27 Old 10-14-2006, 10:19 AM

I've seen this question pop up a few times on here (and wondered about it myself!) I wonder if it could be stickied by our lovely mods? :

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#6 of 27 Old 10-14-2006, 01:25 PM

I Love Baby Greens
#7 of 27 Old 10-14-2006, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appifanie View Post
NEW Vegetarian Baby
I second this recommendation, great book!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#8 of 27 Old 10-15-2006, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This has been "stuck".

Cathe Olson, author The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook, Simply Natural Baby Food, and LIck It! Creamy Dreamy Vegan Ice Creams Your Mouth Will Love.  
#9 of 27 Old 11-23-2006, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appifanie View Post
NEW Vegetarian Baby
i'm not sure about her "new" book.. but i got a copy of "vegetarian child" used and it's been the greatest resource for me as i am knee deep in baby food daily!

cheers
heather
#10 of 27 Old 11-23-2006, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolafanana View Post
Is there a nutritional book that includes recipes for raising a vegetarian baby?

I have an 8 month and have started solids but i don't really know what I'm doing and would like some resources.

Any book recomendations?

TIA
just wondering what you were looking for.. did you have specific questions.. my kids are 10 mths now and i've been making their food since they were 5/6 mths..
maybe i could help..
cheers
heather
#11 of 27 Old 01-07-2007, 01:08 AM

There's Healthy Eating for Life, For Children and Healthy Eating for Live, For Women.

treehugger.gif
#12 of 27 Old 01-19-2007, 02:58 AM
#13 of 27 Old 03-01-2007, 01:51 PM

I got New Vegetarian Baby from my midwives and I loved it!!!

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#14 of 27 Old 07-25-2007, 03:42 PM

Feeding the Whole Family has adaptations for each recipe to make food for baby from some of the ingredients in the meal.

Student and aspiring midwife mama to Angel: and Iris. Expecting a new sometime near Halloween! I am a all the way!!!!!
#15 of 27 Old 07-27-2007, 06:37 PM

Reviving this thread to ask if anyone who's read New Vegetarian Baby can comment on whether or not it's helpful for vegans as well. If not, what other books might you recommend for vegan parenting?

Thanks.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#16 of 27 Old 08-21-2007, 04:23 PM

I'm wondering if anyone has any book recommendations for resources for vegetarian eating during conception / pregnancy as well as the great recs for nutrition for babies and growing kids I've seen?
#17 of 27 Old 08-22-2007, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by To-Fu View Post
Reviving this thread to ask if anyone who's read New Vegetarian Baby can comment on whether or not it's helpful for vegans as well. If not, what other books might you recommend for vegan parenting?

Thanks.
I have Feeding your vegan infant with confidence by Sandra Hood. It's from the Vegan Society (UK) but I got it from Amazon Germany. There is also a Vegan Mother and Baby but they didn't have it... don't know where to look for it.

Most vegetarian books can be easily adapted as they don't feed kids dairy before 1 year anyway.

hh2.gif

#18 of 27 Old 10-26-2007, 10:50 PM

Hi! I have removed posts that were in violation of the Nutrition and Good Eating Forum Guidelines:

Quote:
Nutrition and Good Eating and its subforums are boards of support, respectful requests of information, and sharing of ideas and experiences. To uphold this purpose MDC will not host discussions of debate or criticism within Nutrition and Good Eating, Vegetarian & Vegan Living, Traditional Foods and Meal Planning. Disagreements about dietary choices and personal beliefs should be set aside out of respect for the diversity and varying interpretations and beliefs that we hold as a community.
Any questions, please PM the forum moderator, Shantimama. Thanks

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#19 of 27 Old 04-20-2008, 03:49 PM

I was raised veggie, and my son is veggie too. (now 3yo). I am not sure you really need books... I was given two books as gifts but found them not that useful. I flipped through that superfoods book and it just started making me anxious... I guess if you have made a big dietary departure from your own childhood, maybe books can help you imagine what veggie kids eat.

Here is what I wish I had been told: trust yourself and your child to know what is needed (regardless of what other parents might be doing/reading/saying!). You probably already know how to feed vegetarian people nourishing and tasty food. Kids are really the same. They eat smaller amounts, and food has to chopped or mashed (and sometimes, to my taste, overcooked) if they don't have enough teeth to chew with. And, at least at first, you can introduce new types of food one at a time and watch for allergies.

Do other babies really eat a lot of meat anyway?? I think that breastmilk is the major source of nutrition for AT LEAST the first year, and as long as you offer a variety of foods, and stay away from sweets, refined grains, and excessive snacky/packaged type foods, most kids will do a good job selecting the foods they need to grow and be healthy.

My son was not much of an eater until he turned one, and then became a voracious omnivore. I know several other kids like that. And then we know some kids who took to eating right away. I don't think its really in your control anyway! He never liked "soft" or baby foods, and believe me, I kept trying. Finally, I just relaxed about it, and accepted that he just liked normal food. At first, he loved things like fresh ripe fruit, home-made fruit sauce, some veggies (and which ones he will eat seems to change frequently, even now, so I just keep offering), oatmeal (warm, and then later cold and cut into chunks for finger food), polenta (same system), beans or lentils (beans whole, or either one cooked and mashed), avocado by itself or spread on thin whole-grain bread, tofu pan-fried with garlic and a little tamari, little crustless quiches (cooked in those individual souffle dishes) with grated/minced veggies. Brown rice well cooked. Whole wheat buttermilk pancakes or waffles warm and then later cold for snacks.

Once he could eat "regular" food (i/e once he had a mouthful of teeth) I stopped fixing special stuff and just offered him (within reason) pretty much what we were eating. We still make sure keep plenty of fruit and nuts around for him, but really I just try to make sure he's getting a variety over the week of different things, and make sure I am aware of the sweets/treats (that can really throw him off).

I did get some flaxseed oil and kept it in the fridge to add to oatmeal or plain whole milk yogurt, since we don't eat fish. If you are vegan, or have serious allergies that preclude whole types of food, then you probably already know the nutrients you have to watch out to include (or supplement).

Have fun!

dissertating mom to three

#20 of 27 Old 10-29-2008, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by To-Fu View Post

Thanks.
I love Pregnancy, Children, and the Vegan Diet.

stillheart.gif = Pariah, Super Mom + The Amazing Wiggy (1/06)superhero.gifangel.gif  (6/08)  52 Projects: 0/52  Decluttering Challenge: 37/2013

#21 of 27 Old 02-06-2009, 01:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I wanted to mention the cookbook Vive le Vegan by Dreena Burton. It has a chapter titled Feeding Your Vegan Baby and Toddler. There is a food introduction schedule chart, noting when to introduce various foods and to delay introduction of foods with a high potential for allergic reactions, such as wheat or peanuts. She quickly notes how to prepare different foods for your baby/toddler.

But perhaps most valuable is that a lot of her recipes are wheat free or else have suggested wheat free alternatives. (I consume wheat but appreciate having a variety of grains in my diet.) Dreena experiments with a variety of grains such as barley, buckwheat, spelt and kamut. She has also introduced me to the nutritional value of hemp foods and ways to cook using them.

I bought this book, as I'm TTC, for the vegan recipes as well as the introduction to raising a vegan baby. I'm sure I'll consult other resources, as well, such as some of the books mentioned on this thread.
#22 of 27 Old 07-12-2009, 01:35 AM

http://www.vegfamily.com/babies-and-...g-toddlers.htm

Don't miss the Dad's Sneaky Pudding recipe!

I have been eyeing "The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook" on Amazon. I'm not pregnant or nursing, but the book looks GREAT! and I love whole foods with a family spin.

Happy and in love with my family!
#23 of 27 Old 07-23-2009, 04:20 PM

I heart "The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook"

Kristin, sahm to ds Avery (11-15-08) 3 raw fed
#24 of 27 Old 08-30-2009, 07:52 PM

I found another great site that gives FREE reports and audio downloads on how to cook healthy meals for your vegetarian kids - and great recipes in their bi-monthly "Veggie Tidbits" email. It's www.healthyvegetariankids.com
#25 of 27 Old 09-12-2009, 05:39 AM

a must read just for general nutritional info is "Disease Proof Your Child" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. dont judge it by the title- while its true, he talks about how diet will prevent a lot of common childhood illnesses, it includes a lot of practical info for day to day. i first read his books for adults and they are amazing- really helped us eat better, and this one is great for babies and kids. he has a suggestion for a homemade (vegan) "milk" supplement that is great (if you want to supplement nursing or trend off formula when ready...) anyway, check it out! I was raised vegetarian but have realized there is def a healthy way to eat veg and an unhealthy way. By the way- i dont know much about your 8 month old, but i stressed about my DD getting enough veggies and vitamins but she really wasnt interested in lg amounts of healthy foods until her molars came in and that was around...16-18 months? i wasnt crazy about feeding her a bunch of baby cereal so she primarily had breast milk and pureed fruit during the 6-16 month period! then she took off eating everything in sight- even trying her best to chew salad! good luck!

SAH mommy to 1DD and 1DS on the way.
#26 of 27 Old 02-08-2010, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Here are some cookbooks for veg children and their parents:
* Kids Can Cook: Vegetarian Recipes by Dorothy R. Bates
* Better Than Peanut Butter & Jelly: Quick Vegetarian Meals Your Kids Will Love! by Marty Mattare
* Pretend Soup and Other Real Recipes: A Cookbook for Preschoolers and Up by Mollie Katzen
* Salad People and More Real Recipes: A New Cookbook for Preschoolers and Up by Mollie Katzen
* Vegan Lunch Box by Jennifer McCann
#27 of 27 Old 03-04-2010, 01:42 AM

The book Becoming Vegetraian by Vesanto Melina is an awesome book. It has a section towards to back dedicated to different life stages- including infancy, toddlerhood, childhood, pregnancy and lactation and more. It is not a recipe book, it's more like a textbook for vegetarians/vegans. It helps you plan meals, actually know what's in there. It hss a few recipes in the back too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page