Vegan Diet While Breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 11-03-2006, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would like to lose some weight, but I don't want to affect my supply and I know that it has to be done gradually, healthfully, and safely.
That being said, my husband is going to start the Eat to Live program (at least he says he is) which involves lots and lots of vegetables, four serving of fruit, nuts, and only about one serving of a grain each day. There are no animal products involved. I would like to join him in this at least while at home (I work during the day). I think I need to get more than one grain serving. Other than that, do you have any suggestions for insuring I stay healthy? Is this a safe thing to do since I am bfing? (Making the switch, that is)
Thanks.
OH, btw, I currently eat an omnivore diet, with some junk mixed in (like m&ms). I do not drink milk, I should eat more vegetables, and I should exercise more. That's my current baseline.

I may xpost this in bfing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 11-03-2006, 04:37 PM

Totally do-able while breastfeeding! I also eat a few more servings of grain each day (usually two pieces of whole grain bread, some rice, and maybe some pasta), but cutting out excess grains definitely expedites weight loss.
I've been vegan for 14 years, and pregnant or breastfeeding since January 2002. I still manage to eat too many calories and tack on an extra 10 pounds with each pregnancy, though it comes off once I add back a good exercise routine. As long as you're drinking enough liquids I'd think your milk supply would remain just fine.

- Krista

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
#3 of 12 Old 11-03-2006, 06:18 PM

I've been an ovo-lacto vegi for 19 years and am temporarily dairy-free b/c of DS's diary allergy. (since most dairy-free vegitarian food is vegan I rarely get eggs.)

In order to keep up calorie wise with DS's nursing I am eating more now than at anyother time in the last 19 years, and am 7 pound lighter than I was prepregnancy. I eat tons of whole grains, nuts and bean products.

A vegan diet can provide you with all the calorie and nutrients you need to nurse, along with being general great for you health. however you aren't talking in general about vegan diets you are thinking about using a very specific diet. (which I'm not familiar enough with to talk about specificaly) You need to look at how many calorie you currently get and if the diet you are considering will cover your needs. (these will vary from person to person)

Remeber also that if you use fat stores while BF there will be higher levels of persitent pollutants in your milk. (of course a vegan diet helps to prevent you from building them up in the first place)

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#4 of 12 Old 11-03-2006, 07:08 PM

I know about that diet and I think it could be very safe while breastfeeding if you actually follow it. The problem with weight loss and BFing is that women don't eat properly and try to starve themselves to lose wight which just leads you back into your old crappy eating habits and gaining twice as much as you lost. Anyway my little rant there leads to this. Actually follow the diet but supplement with 2 or more tablespoons of flax seed oil a day and you will lose weight and produce healthy breastmilk for your baby. And as suggested before be sure to drink lots of liquids. (Just so you know coffee, even decaf, makes your body hold on to extra body fat)
#5 of 12 Old 11-03-2006, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the responses.

I had never heard that caffeine helps you hold onto fat. Where did you learn that?
Also, sad about my fat stores and the toxins in them. Too bad I wasn't able to afford organic before!
#6 of 12 Old 11-03-2006, 09:31 PM

I don't think it's the caffeine but some compound in coffee itself. I heard it awhile ago from a nutritionist. She explained the whole thing to me but back then anything nutrition related was the last thing I cared about so I let it slip on out. I wish I could remember and I'll do a little research to see if I find out. I do have a friend who cut coffee out of her diet and she lost weight. It was just regular coffee without sugar and skim milk. When she told me that it jogged my memory on the whole coffee connection.
#7 of 12 Old 11-04-2006, 09:07 PM

Just wanted to comment that I was soy-free, dairy-free, vegan, and bf for about 14 months. I personally found it hard to keep the weight on. I would recommend really looking into exercise as a way to make sure that the weight isn't coming off too fast. Best of luck.
#8 of 12 Old 11-10-2006, 11:31 AM

just wanted to say that i am vegan and BFing a one year old very regularly. it's working fine for us.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#9 of 12 Old 11-10-2006, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

These suggestions are helpful, thanks.
I also wonder-- is there something about a drastic change in diet that could cause a problem?
#10 of 12 Old 11-10-2006, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaO View Post
Just wanted to comment that I was soy-free, dairy-free, vegan, and bf for about 14 months. I personally found it hard to keep the weight on. I would recommend really looking into exercise as a way to make sure that the weight isn't coming off too fast. Best of luck.
I think it depends on the person and what you eat. I did the same at the beginning of my bfing time and I certainly didn't lose a pound until I quit eating sugar. And then it was by no means too much or a battle to keep the weight on.
#11 of 12 Old 11-16-2006, 01:30 AM

We are all vegan here and have been for almost 2 years, we were vegetarian before that. I am nursing my 26 month old and we are both in excellent health. You are right that you will need more whole grains and beans. An excellent book to look at for nutrition information is the book Becoming Vegan it is awesome. Also, checking out some other books will help you get a feel for what is out there in terms of grains, beans, etc. Some of our favorites are Viva La Vegan, The Everyday Vegan, and the Mediteranian Vegan Cookbook. Good luck.

Kari
#12 of 12 Old 11-16-2006, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaO View Post
Goodness, I'm really glad to hear that I'm not the only one! Even when I was omni I'd lost at least 15 lbs from pre-preg buy three months PP. I haven't dropped any more weight since then even since a change in diet. I do hope to gain some of it back when we stop nursing, I'd think so at least... I've never heard of anyone losing weight after a pregnancy. That darn metabolism...

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page