DHA supplement for vegetarian pregnancy? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 12-18-2006, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are your thoughts? I'm entering my 3rd trimester and considering a DHA supplement. (I would of course chose a vegetarian one, like DEVA.) Has anyone here taken one durring/after pregnancy or not and wish they did? This will be my second child and my 2 year old dd is really behind on her speech developement (her olnly developmental delay). I'm not sure if I had taken a DHA supplement with her if she would be more on track or not, but I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt to give it a try with this child.
Anyone have a better understanding on the topic?
#2 of 15 Old 12-18-2006, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

I just wanted to add that it is my understanding that no matter your diet (veggie or not), most pregnant mammas don't get enough DHA..... but because I don't eat fish or seaweed, wouldn't I have to rely on a supplement?
I don't want to carry any more guilt that it could be my fault my child/children are "slow" at something....
#3 of 15 Old 12-18-2006, 02:47 PM

I take a vegan DHA supplement made by NuTru (sold at veganessentials.com) They sell it as a vegan capsule or as drops. I bought both so I can give the drops directly to DD every once in a while (she's 15.5 months old).
#4 of 15 Old 12-18-2006, 03:52 PM

I take Nature's Way Efa Gold Neuromins - Plant Source Migroalgae Oil 100 mg DHA. It is a non-fish source, but it does contain gelatin softgels.

It's hard to know if it's working, but it doesn't hurt to be on the safe side.
#5 of 15 Old 12-18-2006, 04:07 PM

I take DHA Purity and have been very happy with it. The kids also take it every day and it works great!
#6 of 15 Old 12-18-2006, 05:29 PM

Do you (anyone) think that direct DHA supplements are necessary, or should oils high in Omega 3 ALA like Hempseed and Flaxseed oil, in the diet suffice?
#7 of 15 Old 12-18-2006, 05:35 PM

Hmm... paranoid!

Ordering NuTru supplements from VeganEssentials now!!!
#8 of 15 Old 12-18-2006, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyleigh33 View Post
Do you (anyone) think that direct DHA supplements are necessary, or should oils high in Omega 3 ALA like Hempseed and Flaxseed oil, in the diet suffice?
I've heard, who knows how true it may be, that some people have a difficult time converting ALA to EPA (primarily found in fish and seaweed) and then to DHA. So I think I'll be taking a DHA supplement just to be on the safe side, b/c even if I convert it fine, I'm probably not getting enough ALA either.
#9 of 15 Old 12-20-2006, 08:57 PM

Is DHA the same as Omega 3/6's? I have not considered taking a supplement since I am eating a lot of flax in my diet (for the Omegas).

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#10 of 15 Old 12-20-2006, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoes View Post
I've heard, who knows how true it may be, that some people have a difficult time converting ALA to EPA (primarily found in fish and seaweed) and then to DHA. So I think I'll be taking a DHA supplement just to be on the safe side, b/c even if I convert it fine, I'm probably not getting enough ALA either.

Quote:

For those who want or need an EFA supplement without fish oil (if the child is allergic to fish for example) you could try Flax seed oil. However- please read what Dr. Katz says about Flax seed oil:

"Flax seed oil or freshly ground flax seeds are an excellent source of the essential omega-3 alpha-linolenic acid (ALA or LNA) which is the quintessential parent member of the omega-3 family of essential fatty acids (EFAs). The body transforms it into EPA and the EPA into DHA.
This transformation is very inefficient (the yield is about 10%) and is further inhibited by over consumption of omega-6 fatty acids from most vegetable oils or certain disease states. Therefore, it is advisable to independently consume also ready made EPA and DHA from good quality fish of from high quality fish oil supplements. Some recommended intakes are listed on the Introductory lecture on EFAs that I gave at the First Conference on Therapy of Verbal Apraxia, July 23-24, 2001, Morristown, NJ. (http://www.apraxia.cc)
http://www.cherab.org/information/di...s/efatips.html

this website has tons of information regarding speech and EFAs. (with a specific focus on apraxia, but there is information regarding general speech delays as well). I found this out and was disappointed that flax seed is not as efficient, because I was hoping to avoid giving dd fish oil, but ended up making the choice to do it.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#11 of 15 Old 12-21-2006, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri276 View Post
http://www.cherab.org/information/di...s/efatips.html

this website has tons of information regarding speech and EFAs. (with a specific focus on apraxia, but there is information regarding general speech delays as well). I found this out and was disappointed that flax seed is not as efficient, because I was hoping to avoid giving dd fish oil, but ended up making the choice to do it.
Why, and I'm not intending any criticism with this question, just legitimately wondering if you have a specific reason that I'd want to be aware of--are you using fish oil as opposed to one of the other vegetarian/vegan DHA supplements discussed above (i.e. the one I just ordered, that a pp mentioned they were using for themselves and their child, or one of the other vegan DHA supplements available?).

Also the piece of the article that you quoted (and info that I recollect) states that the chemical process that changes the Omega 3 in Flax Seed (and presumably Hemp Seed) oil to DHA is inhibited by high quantities of Omega 6 in the diet; but I know that hemp seed oil has an excellent ratio of 3:6 (and nine). So, in order for the action to be greatly inhibited one would have to also be consuming a lot of other oils (i.e. canola) which one just shouldn't do anyway.
#12 of 15 Old 12-21-2006, 09:07 PM

my question about hempseed oil would then be the long chain vs. short chain. part of the theory (with apraxia) is that these children are having trouble converting. would it be realistic to get the same amount from the hempseed oil as from fish? even if it's technically possible, there is a limit on how much I can get into her in one day, yk?

the thing is, it would be an experiment on my part. I don't know that I want to fly in the face of the reputable scientific studies that have all used this certain type of fish oil, and risk my child missing out on the benefits.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#13 of 15 Old 12-21-2006, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bri276 View Post
my question about hempseed oil would then be the long chain vs. short chain. part of the theory (with apraxia) is that these children are having trouble converting. would it be realistic to get the same amount from the hempseed oil as from fish? even if it's technically possible, there is a limit on how much I can get into her in one day, yk?
OK, but what about the DHA supplements like NuTru, DHA Purity, etc.? That was more what I meant to ask you... why you chose fish oil over those? The stuff I said about the hempseed/flaxseed oil was more intended for those who are relying on dietary sources and not using or planning to use supplements such as fish oils or vegan DHA supplements.
#14 of 15 Old 12-21-2006, 10:39 PM

for the answer to that, just replace the words "hempseed oil" in my last post with any "other type of efa supplement besides the one used in the studies" on apraxia. I'd have to know if the chains in microalgae were shorter or equal to the ones in fish oil. btw- is microalgae really vegan?

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#15 of 15 Old 12-22-2006, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguazul View Post
I take DHA Purity and have been very happy with it. The kids also take it every day and it works great!
My husband takes this, and he loves it, but I do NOT take this one. My midwife and I decided that the rosemary extract in the tinture could be danagerous to the pregnancy (rosemary E.O is an aboritfecent)

I take the DEVA DHA, but it is HORRIBLE. It is SO hard to get down. It smells and it's slimy. UGGh. I only take one or two a month because they are SO gross, but I'm going to take more when I get into the third tri.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page