I went on a three-day meat binge and now I want to vomit - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-22-2006, 12:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, the OP chose to eat meat. Lots of people choose to eat meat. If she was newly veg, and said that she felt like vomiting after eating all that meat (and that's what her diet consisted of before deciding to become veg) and wanted to be veg, wouldn't we support her trying to transition to a veg diet?

I don't really see it any differently. She's not going to find support for being a veg in an omni world in any other forum. While we may disagree with her choice, she has reaffirmed her committment to veg*nism. That's more than many of our spouses have done.

I am saddened that the OP felt so frustrated and desperate that she ate meat. I am encouraged by the fact that it's unlikely that she'll choose to any time soon. I am saddened by how quickly some of us have judged her. Have none of us ever made a choice that we've later regretted? I know that I have. I am encouraged by the many tolerant voices I hear on this thread.

I try to remember that we are all doing the best we can for our families. And, remember eating less meat is still better than the Standard American Diet. Is it perfect? No. But, every little bit means fewer animals suffer. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing thing. I would love to strive towards veganism, but it's not a committment that I can make at this time. I cook almost exclusively vegan meals in my home though. Am I still contributing to animal suffering? Most certainly. Does this make me sad? Yes. I am doing what I can for now. Maybe at a future date I will do better.

To the OP, good luck on being a veg*n in an omni world. It is not an easy path. May your recent incident give you new resolve.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2006, 12:44 AM

this is going to be the last thing i say on this subject because it's getting kind of boring, frankly, to have my posts misinterpreted as judgements or preaching.
the only reason i responded in the first place was to talk to the OP about her reasons for choosing to eat the meat and how there were ways around them if she was committed to becoming vegetarian. i then said that it seemed disingenous to me to act as though she didn't have a choice in the matter because of those listed reasons, instead of just out-and-out saying she wanted to eat the meat.

i am not a judgemental jerk. i live among and interact with meat-eaters on a daily basis with no snark, no weird looks, no lectures. but i do have a problem with people (veg or not) who seem to want to blame everyone but themselves for their troubles, which is the impression i got from the original post. in later posts she recanted on that and i offered some suggestions for how to find her way back on the path of vegetarianism.

never once did i use any insults, or phrases like "PEOPLE LIKE YOU". but i sure got them in return.

peace out.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:01 AM

amen Christacular- people are really going overboard on this thread. I don't think anyone has been THAT offensive.:
Old 12-22-2006, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrotstick View Post
wow! So much mean-ness! I just joines MDC, and was loving reading all the posts, but I can't believe how some people are treating the OP! I have been veg for about 5 years, even vegan for awhile, but I admit I fall off the wagon... For a lot of people being veg*n is a process and you will mess up along the way. I would rather support someone who has been veg*n and eaten meat then scare them away... Even if she decided to eat some meat once a week or something we should still support her for trying to do better than most people. I don't know if I will stick around or not
stick to

We really aren't a bad bunch. Check out the other sectoins too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vermontgirl View Post
Honestly though, doesnt it make sense that if you post that you pigged out on meat in a VEG board that SOMEONE is going to be unsupportive? The key word is VEG board. We all have a right to respond however we want. I dont know why some of you are just so surprised at our lack of support. We are in a VEG BOARD!
She posted on the Veg*n board b/c if she posted on the TF board they would all tell her that she is supposed to be eating meat and try and convince her to continue. She came here not b/c she wanted us to support her for her meat binge but to support her return to veggi land. I choose to treat her like the prodigal son (except we won't be killing the fatted calf obviously.: )

to the OP:
  1. IMO the whole soy is bad for you thing is over emphasized especially when you compare it to meat. Think about how much soy the very healthy japanese eat.
  2. Eating out gets easier with time, you get used to where to go for what.
  3. Just keep trying new recipes on your DH. Try asking him to try two bite of each new thing you make before he rejects it, tell him he will be setting a good example for DD.
  4. As time goes by your family will get used to your being a veg*n then they won't try to preasure you nearly so much.
  5. Is your militant friend new to vegan? If so she will probably mellow with time.
I've been a vegetarian for 19 years trust me after it gets easier as you go. In a few years you probably won't even be able to imagine slipping off the bandwagon.

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
Old 12-22-2006, 12:06 PM

I think this thread is really getting to me. Last night I had a dream that I ate a piece of RAW meat that somebody offered me! YUCK!!! And, then the person felt bad and said they could make me some sides, because they new I was veg. They offered to make fish balls or fish sticks or fish soup. OMG! I am totally losing it! :LOL
Old 12-22-2006, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunamegn View Post
I have to admit that people who act like the veg*n police really bug me as well. I had a couple friends like that at one time. I think it's the whole being categorized as one thing or another and then having to stick so rigidly to one or another. Even though one person may adhere rigidly to being what a vegan or vegetarian entails, others may not. If anything the op learned how meat can make you feel after you've omitted from your diet. I've been a vegetarian for 6 years and I will have a bite of something with meat in it (rarely, but it happens). Some may not consider that to be very vegetarian, but who cares?? It's my life. I know the consequences and how my body feels when I do eat meat. I also know what eating meat does to the environment and every other ethical reason that people don't eat more for. But it gets down to that it's my choice and I don't let myself feel shitty because it's not something someone else would do.
but this is a veg*n board... not a "forgive me for being not veg*n" board?!?! ack* It's hard being vegetarian... and NOT because it's hard to avoid meat/animal products... but because it's hard to deal w/ meat eaters! And that may sound silly but it's so nice to have a board/thread where vegetarians are just that.
Old 12-22-2006, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christacular View Post
i guess the difference between the 100% supportive posters and the rest of us is, we don't think simply "it's her life". it was also the life of the turkey, cow, chicken, and pig she decided to eat.

: :
Old 12-23-2006, 05:49 PM

i admit it, i only read the first page of this post. that being said . . .

it seems like the OP finds more negatives to veg*nism than positives, which is why it must seem so difficult. to me, eating me is THE negative, and anything else is preferable. so i can't buy a lot of pre-made, unhealthy junk food and there's almost no variety when eating out in a lot of places. that's okay with me, b/c it's live life a bit more difficult, or hate myself and feel ill.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world" - Gandhi
My Livi bear 10/26/2006

User Tag List