recipe request: crackers, fruit leather, other durable toddler snacks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2007, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have good recipes (or general method) for home made crackers or fruit leather? (I don't have a dehydrator). I’d love to make our own snack crackers. I think DS would like to help in the preparation if he could cut out shapes with cookie cutters. And I have a feeling that fruit leather would be popular, though I haven’t bought it for him. Do you have other ideas for durable, slow-to-spoil, nutritious toddler snacks? DS still can't really chew nuts, seeds or dried fruit, unfortunately.

I enjoy cooking but I’m also a full-time student and can’t always devote a LOT of time to food preparation. DS is 2, will eat almost anything, and seems to be constantly ravenous. Snacks I can make all at one on the weekend and have all week are great! Snacks that look similar to the pre-packaged stuff friends are eating are great! Snacks that can be self-fed with a minimum of mess-- also great!

(We are ovo-lacto vegetarian.)

THANKS!

dissertating mom to three

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2007, 09:12 PM

Wanted to post because I saw noone had at this point. I don't have any recipes for crackers that don't use a dehydrator but I am wondering if you could try your oven on the lowest setting for those.

My son is 2 and is also hungry all the time. I usualyl take a piece of whole wheat bread and put almond butter on it and some vegan butter and then use a cookie cutter to cut out interesting shapes for him. he loves it.

There is a recipe in the Vegan Lunchbox for no bake snacks that are made with almond butter, oat bran, cocunt, faux honey, cocoa/carob adn they are shaped into ovals and then you can put liced almonds on them like wings and in the fridge they go. They taste and look great. I will try to get that recipe for you tonight!
Old 01-17-2007, 02:12 AM

When I was thinking about becoming a raw vegan, ha that didn't work I love baking, anyway I read that you could put your oven on the lowest setting and prop it open an inch with something and it would sit at about 100 degrees and could be used as a dehydrator. I assume you could dehydrate fruit like this, but I am not sure exactly how they make those fruit leathers (wish I did!) ... maybe someone will answer soon!
Old 01-17-2007, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
little homemade bite sized muffins are a big hit here.

Mama to four ('03, '05, '08 & '11) chicken3.gif

User Tag List