Low fiber and vegetarian diet ?? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-19-2007, 07:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have Inflammatory bowel Disease and during a flare up (and for me lately, in general) I have to stay away from High Fiber foods. Nuts and beans are bad for my guts when Im suffering a flare up. I was wondering if anyone had advice to get protien in my diet without nuts/seeds, and beans.

Here is a list of the things I can have...

Grain Products:

enriched refined white bread, buns, bagels, english muffins
plain cereals e.g. Cheerios, Cornflakes, Cream of Wheat, Rice Krispies, Special K
arrowroot cookies, tea biscuits, soda crackers, plain melba toast
white rice, refined pasta and noodles
avoid whole grains
Fruits:

fruit juices except prune juice
applesauce, apricots, banana (1/2), cantaloupe, canned fruit cocktail, grapes, honeydew melon, peaches, watermelon
dried fruits are baaaad.

Vegetables:

vegetable juices
potatoes (no skin)
alfalfa sprouts, beets, green/yellow beans, carrots, celery, cucumber, eggplant, lettuce, mushrooms, green/red peppers, potatoes (peeled), squash, zucchini
I have to avoid vegetables from the cruciferous family such as broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, cabbage, kale,
Swiss chard etc

I ask you guys because you're all so clever.
#2 of 14 Old 01-19-2007, 09:34 PM

Sorry, I'm sure NOT the clever one. But can you have tofu, or soy milk? Maybe put it in a smoothie?? I mix 1 1/2 box's of tofu, and canned pumpkin with honey etc for dd. Bake it, sort of like a custard.

I hope your feeling better soon.....(does this go away??)
#3 of 14 Old 01-20-2007, 06:59 AM - Thread Starter

It doesnt go away but you go thru periods of flare ups (inflammation) alternating with periods of perfect health. Ive spent the majority of the past year with flare ups of varying degrees. Sometimes my stomach is just crampy and bloated more severe symptoms include bleeding of the bowel (and other nasty unmentionables that can keep a person tied to the toilet for days at a time) and severe abdominal pain (once included a hospital stay). And Ive got a mild case.

Ive just got to experiment with different things I guess. I know there are veggies loaded with protien, I just didnt know which ones. Thanks tho Anna. Hope you are well!! ttfn
gen
#4 of 14 Old 01-20-2007, 09:57 AM

Genifer, just popped on for a quick bedtime fix whilst doing something for DH (lol, it's 11:55pm!). I'm interested in this too because I'll need something for those times my belly's being especially awful to me. I have a book here I've been reading that I'm pretty sure goes into this a bit so I'll have a read in the morning and let you know if I find anything for you! I tried googling but nothing came up but the standard beans etc that we already know about.
#5 of 14 Old 01-20-2007, 03:12 PM

genifer, me again. I just remembered I use to go to a website by Heather VanVorous, www.HelpforIBS.com. They use to have boards there. Lots of recipes etc. (I totally understand there is a difference in IBS and IBD, but maybe some of the recipes would work.) She has a cook book also.

Also wondered have you tried Almond milk? How about egg whites?

Just thinking about you, sorry if I've repeated anyone else.
#6 of 14 Old 01-20-2007, 06:04 PM

Heather actually has a forum for IBD monitered by Jill Sklar who also wrote a book about how to help ease Chrone's Disease. Like everything in life though some find Heather's diet helps, others don't change at all and I actually got much much worse. Even a few of her die hard fans don't actually follow the diet but post on the boards that they do so I'm not sure just how great it is. I do have a few issues with some of the things that happen over there. That being said it might be worth a try.

Okay this book I have:

I'll just list all plant food. I know you can't eat it all.

Broccoli: 34% protein
Carrots, yams, baked potatoes 6%
Kale 22%
Mushrooms 32-50%
Salad greens 31%
Spinach 40%

Lentils have 30% protein
Soybeans 33%
Firm Tofu 40%
vege "meats" low fat 69-85%
Pumpkin and sunflower seeds 17%

Hope this helps a little bit!

Can you have soy? From The New Becoming Vegetarian

Protein Booster smoothie

1 banana, fresh or frozen
1 cup berries or sliced fruit
1 cup fruit juice

To boost protein add 2 tbs (30ml) soy protein powder (you could go a rice one though I would imagine) and/or replace the juice with soy milk. Using 1/4 cup protein powder will provide 14grams of protein per 1 cup of smoothie.
#7 of 14 Old 01-20-2007, 06:32 PM

What about sprouted grains/beans? Plain live yogurt (or is all dairy off limits?)?
#8 of 14 Old 01-21-2007, 11:26 AM

The only thing that ever worked for me was a HIGH fiber diet. I had pain for over a decade following the doc's advice and going low fiber, whole food. When I cut out all animal products, upped the fruits and veggies and eliminated grains all together I was instantly cured. If I stray at all I get sick again. So, I don't want to derail your thread, but if you find you aren't getting any better this may be an avenue to pursue. There have been many books written about the problems with mainstream rec. for IBD.

Oh-and i use a live raw protein powder that is superfood based. Totally healthful and not at all damaged by processing. It's the only thing I would use.

http://www.rawfood.com/?item_id=1017&d=single
#9 of 14 Old 01-21-2007, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Mushrooms 32-50%
I had no idea!

As far as Dairy goes, Im just not sure how bad it is. It seems I can handle it in small doses. I dont know about the sprouted beans. Ive never tried it and dont know how to make them.... or much about them at all. hmmm. (nice seeing ya here tho, nomadmom )

firefaery, Do you actually have IBD? I know that when I eat nuts I feel like crap. same thing with dried fruit.

What I think Im going to have to do is go on a soup fast for a few days (dreading it) then experiment with things.

Thanks everyone. you are wonderful.
gen
#10 of 14 Old 01-21-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genifer View Post
As far as Dairy goes, Im just not sure how bad it is. It seems I can handle it in small doses. I dont know about the sprouted beans. Ive never tried it and dont know how to make them.... or much about them at all. hmmm. (nice seeing ya here tho, nomadmom )
I don't know about the dairy either as I know zilch about IBD. Just throwing ideas out there. I know that sprouting hugely increases *all* of the nutrients, so if you can tolerate them they'd be a great nutritional boost. I have a sprouter and you're welcome to borrow it to see if it's something you'd use. Sprouting is super easy (pretty much just change the water a couple times a day).

How do you feel about eggs (seems like I've heard you say you'd rather not eat them, but maybe I'm thinking of someone else)? That's an easy source of all the protein you need if you don't mind them.

OT: Good to "see" you, too! I often end up on threads where you've posted (guess we have a lot of similar interests), but don't always post in case you think I'm stalking you!
#11 of 14 Old 01-21-2007, 03:04 PM

I had a diagosis of IBD after having been scoped. I have since figured out that it is celiac disease that caused most of the damage. But the best reading I have found for IBD *and* celiac disease is the specific carbohydrate diet that was designed to eliminate IBD, IBS and celiac disease. There are actually national chapters of people who are following the protocol and have healed. On it meats are legal, but not necessary.

The more I dug the more I realized that it was really all about healing the gut lining and giving your body a chance to normalize.

If you are interested you can check it out. There are many people here who hoave done it. www.breakingtheviciouscycle.com

Nuts are an advanced food on it, as are dried fruits. Dairy is fine (and actually advocated more than any other food) in certain forms-like yogurt and cheese. Hopefully it will be of some help to you. As I said, there's alot of support for it here.
#12 of 14 Old 01-21-2007, 03:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
OT: Good to "see" you, too! I often end up on threads where you've posted (guess we have a lot of similar interests), but don't always post in case you think I'm stalking you!
If the person is really cool... I dont mind if they are stalking me anyway . Post away you silly goose!

Firefaery... Thanks for the link... Ill check it out. I think Ive looked at it before actually but it was at a stage when all the info was doing my head in: so I took a break and havent checked it out again.

Eggs make me feel nauseous nomadmom. They are kind of gross to me. I might take you up on borrowing that sprouter thingy. It worth a try.
#13 of 14 Old 01-21-2007, 06:11 PM

As far as dairy goes there's a new milk, potato milk (I'm trying it sometime this week when it arrives in the mail, it's kinda hard to get here) which has calcium and a few other bits and pieces added that is dairy free. It's called Darifree by Vances Foods.

Yep, mushies are GREAT for protein. Good thing I love them!! Lol.

Hope you feel better soon Belly problems make life miserable :
#14 of 14 Old 01-21-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genifer View Post
Eggs make me feel nauseous nomadmom. They are kind of gross to me.
Me too. I kinda thought we'd had that conversation but wasn't sure. Re healing the gut lining, that's what made me think of the live yogurt, although I realize that with the kind of damage you're dealing with it'll take more than just eating a little yogurt. It must be really hard having to restrict your diet, especially since your family members already have differing eating habits. Hope your tum feels better soon.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page