Vegan heartburn relief? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 03-12-2007, 08:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't even know what heartburn was, and I'm still not entirely sure; but now that my stomach is in my chest cavity somewhere, it is causing this awful feeling somewhere in there that is sort of painful but mostly kind of "I feel like I'm going to be sick," that I can only presume is heartburn.

From the TV commercials I know that there are things like Tums and whatnot, but I have never looked at them or even know whether they're vegan, but I assume they are calcium-based and probably not. Does anyone know? Or does anyone have any suggestions for alternative relief? I am already eating a bit at a time, but it's not helping. Drinking a ton of water... etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 03-12-2007, 09:06 PM

papaya tablets! i don't know what i would have done without them during my last pregnancy!
#3 of 12 Old 03-12-2007, 09:17 PM

I know a lot about heartburn and reflux but not sure about the vegan aspect of a lot of it. I know that Tums are indeed made with calcium as the main ingredient although others contain different ingredients but not sure on how vegan any of them are. Likewise, generally sipping small amounts of milk calms heartburn (I think it's the fat in milk that helps, much like when you eat chillies) but that's not vegan either. Eating won't help. In fact if you've already eaten a meal don't eat again until the next meal but when you do eat a smaller amount and eat more often instead of a big meal. If you're off to bed, prop up the bedhead if you can with some books or if you can't prop yourself up with pillows so that your head is elevated above your stomach and chest area. Finally eat quite blandly until it settles down a bit. Anything spicey or acidic will hurt a LOT!! Things like plain pasta and rice and bread are good. Medication wise I can't help though. I take a PPI for my reflux. Maybe check out Zantac which you can get at the pharmacy.
#4 of 12 Old 03-12-2007, 10:16 PM

i sure do remember those days. yuck.

i used to mix a 1/2 tsp of baking soda into a 1/2 a cup of water and drink that down. it will make you burp because it mixes with the acid in your stomach and creates gas bubbles (just like if you mix baking soda with vinegar). it worked to relieve acute attacks but if you're finding it happening a lot you should try to eat smaller meals throughout the day - i found it happened mostly when i was overfull. prevention is always better - though i don't think much helps when it's because you have a big ole baby in there.

oh, and you shouldn't do the baking soda thing if you're on a restricted sodium diet or taking other types of antacids. each 1/2 a tsp of baking soda contains an outrageous amout of sodium...something like 600 mg.

but it works!
#5 of 12 Old 03-12-2007, 10:21 PM

Ginger. You can juice ginger and take a teaspoon of it in the morning. I believe you take it for 3 weeks and should be better. You could also make ginger tea. What I have found helpful and tasteful is ginger kombucha.
#6 of 12 Old 03-12-2007, 11:22 PM

Another vote for papaya enzyme tablets! That's what my midwife recommended.

Aven
#7 of 12 Old 03-13-2007, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Lubner View Post
papaya tablets! i don't know what i would have done without them during my last pregnancy!
Ack! I wish I had checked back before I went shopping, I bet that is something I would've had to get at the Health Food Store..? Maybe I will stop in there real quick tomorrow. Do you know what brands are vegan? I just called the store and they said they have them in "Natural Factors" brand, so I looked them up and on their website it said:

Most enzyme supplements, contain proteolytic enzymes, also called proteases, that break down proteins.These enzymes include chymotrypsin and trypsin from pancreatin (from hog pancreas), bromelain (pineapple enzyme), papain (papaya enzyme), and fungal and bacterial proteases. Proteolytic enzymes are often used to help improve digestion and relieve abdominal bloating and discomfort, and excessive flatulence.

But that was only the one HFS, I could try the other one that has less selection--but usually better quality stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christacular View Post
i used to mix a 1/2 tsp of baking soda into a 1/2 a cup of water and drink that down.
Hrm, OK thanks. I just tried that and it seems to have helped a bit. Maybe it will start helping a bit more soon. I definitely think I am just going to have to start eating like one thing at a time, now, though cause this pain is unbearable! The one digestive problem that even being vegan doesn't seem to do anything to prevent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine View Post
Ginger. You can juice ginger and take a teaspoon of it in the morning. I believe you take it for 3 weeks and should be better. You could also make ginger tea. What I have found helpful and tasteful is ginger kombucha.
3 weeks!? I might've had the baby by then! j/k. Thanks! I'll give that a try too! Anything to stop this. Will have to get some ginger tomorrow, I only have powdered ginger right now and it does not make particularly good tea!
#8 of 12 Old 03-13-2007, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
When I was pregnant, Gerolsteiner mineral water helped. It's naturally carbonated. IIRC, there's a combination homeopathic remedy that's specifically for heartburn. HTH!

#9 of 12 Old 03-13-2007, 01:09 AM

you can safely repeat the baking soda trick every couple of hours but don't do it more than 5 - 7 times per day since the sodium content is so high.

good luck, sweets. bland foods are your friends.

ps - i have borrowed a car and can drop those goods off to you sometime soon.
#10 of 12 Old 03-13-2007, 03:57 AM

Oh! I somehow missed the fact that you were expecting soon! Goodness me, I can remember the heartburn at the end of DD1's pregnancy. It was so bad I had to sleep bolt upright and NOTHING seemed to help it, it was horrible, you have my total empathy I didn't get it with the twins, they arrived too early for it to kick in. Hope you feel better soon and yes, bland foods are best
#11 of 12 Old 03-13-2007, 06:58 PM

Diluted apple cider vinegar works.

OUR DAUGHTERS ARE PROTECTED SHOULDN'T OUR SONS BE TOO! :
#12 of 12 Old 03-15-2007, 03:25 PM

You poor thing - I had horrible heartburn through my pregnancies. The only thing that really helped me was small sips of ice water with a little lemon in it (I know, sounds strange to counteract acid with acid but somehow it works). And eating really bland food - plain pasta, bread with hummus, crakers, no spices at all.

Great for nature studies! http://www.pleinairkids.com
Plein Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page