Raw: Any dehydrater recs? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-23-2007, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
thinking about buying a dehydrater to help us on our (mostly) raw journey...

any recommendations and/or recommended sites to buy?

thanks!
j
#2 of 6 Old 03-23-2007, 04:28 PM

One of my closest friends and I were just talking about this the other day. She's raw and early on bought a dehydrator she now wishes she hadn't. Not sure the brand, but her advice would be to stay away from the round ones as they have a hole in the middle and it interferes with making pizza crusts, crepes, and nicely shaped crackers . The one she has also only has one tray which she finds a draw back.
#3 of 6 Old 03-23-2007, 05:06 PM

I am looking into dehydrator's too. I have heard good things about the Excalibur. Does anyone have one? Good?Bad?

Thanks!
#4 of 6 Old 03-23-2007, 05:38 PM

I'm saving up for the excaliber - a friend has one and loves it - I've heard only good things about it from various folks. And comes in 3 sizes/prices. This site has the lowest prices I've seen and free ship. http://www.livingright.com/ - I bought my blender from them not long ago.
#5 of 6 Old 03-24-2007, 09:59 AM

I have the excalibur 9 tray and love it!
#6 of 6 Old 03-24-2007, 10:32 AM

The Excalibur is the ONLY dehydrator you want for raw food preparation.

Personal experience: I purchased a cheap dehydrator to save money (some brand from WalMart, I forgot which, doesn't even matter). Made the pizza crust. It was moldy. We weren't sure it was ok, ate it (yeah. stupid.), and spent the night projectile vomiting.

They don't dry from two directions like the Excalibur does - the Excalibur is really engineered for safe and efficient drying (not just the two directions part, but the way the trays are set up for optimal air flow, etc.). The other brands are just for hobby stuff like drying apple pieces or really basic stuff.

So I hate to sound like an advertisement, but the Excalibur is really the only way to go If you're eating raw, then you don't want anything else, and it's totally worth it to save up for it.

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page