Does Hummus freeze well? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-29-2007, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
My family eats a lot of hummus, so I was thinking of trying to make some. I would love to make a giant batch and freeze porions. Does anyone know if it freezes well or if you are just better off making one batch at a time?
Thanks
#2 of 5 Old 03-29-2007, 10:40 AM

If *you* make it strictly with tahini, yes you can. If you make it with tahini and olive oil (like I do), you can't.

And, yeah, I woud stick with just making a batch at a time. It is so good fresh.
#3 of 5 Old 03-29-2007, 10:57 AM

Wow. I was thinking the same thing the other day (If you can freeze Hummus).

Why can't you freeze something with Olive Oil in the recipe? (I am very new to baking, so excuse the "basic" question)

Thanks!!
#4 of 5 Old 03-29-2007, 11:55 AM

I just make a big batch of chickpeas periodically and freeze those. Then when we are nearly done with the current container I thaw some out. It takes less than 5 minutes to whip it all up in the food processor. BTW in the summer you cna do the same thing with basil for pesto - blend the basil and nuts, and then when you thaw it out add the garlic and olive oil (and cheese if you are so inclined) It's so nice to have homemade pesto in the winter!

I'm not sure the full reasons for avoiding freezing pure oils except that oil takes longer to freeze than foods that have water in them. It must mess with the mixture somehow.

treehugger.gif homemaker mama to jumpers.gif and stork-boy.gif due in March

#5 of 5 Old 03-29-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mllrym View Post
Wow. I was thinking the same thing the other day (If you can freeze Hummus).

Why can't you freeze something with Olive Oil in the recipe? (I am very new to baking, so excuse the "basic" question)

Thanks!!
Sorry I wasn't a little more specific in regard to the olive oil.

It's not that it's impossible to freeze olive oil, because it is very capable of being frozen - it's just the consistency of it that will be wonky if it's frozen. If you really want to, I would just do all of the hummus, but leave out the olive oil, and add it in once it thaws. Then you just pop it (thawed hummus) into the processor with the oil, mix, and serve.

I understand some people don't add the oil in their recipe at all, and have heard many successes of freezing. I tried it once with oil, and was not happy with the mixture. Just seemed like a huge waste of time.

I agree with the whole refraining on the oil with the pesto, and adding in later (once thawed) too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page