need quick and easy veggie meals/snacks - pg with #2 and a busy 3 year old... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-30-2007, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 5 1/2 months pregnant. I need some help coming up with some easy meal/snack ideas for our family - we do eat some dairy and eggs.

I usually love to cook, but I'm really busy these days and not always so motivated or energetic when it comes to cooking and I think I just need some fresh ideas.

I'd love to know what works in your families.

thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-30-2007, 12:17 PM

When you're busy and pressed for time, I find pasta really easy and quick to make. In the time that it takes to boil the water and cook the pasta, you can make a great sauce to go with it.

My latest favorite is pasta with some steamed broccoli and edamame and walnuts. I mix it together, throw it in an overproof casserole and top it off with some good cheddar cheese. Broil for a minute or two to melt the cheese.

I'm also a big fan of my spinach pasta dish - it's the only way (aside from sneaking them in smoothies) I can get a 1 and a 3 year old to eat leafy greens. Saute garlic in 2 tbs olive oil or butter, add 2 tbs flour, cook for a bit, then slowly stir in 2 cups milk. When sauce has thickened, add chopped spinach (I usually throw fresh in the food processor, but I have used frozen chopped spinach before too), and some grated parmesan. Add salt and pepper to taste, and mix in pasta.

You could saute some veggies and add them to a regular tomato sauce.

Breakfast for dinner is also fun. Pancakes, waffles, or eggs, with some fruit. Peanut butter and banana sandwiches are easy too.
#3 of 6 Old 03-30-2007, 12:27 PM

I totally know where you are coming from. I am so busy these days that I forget to eat sometimes! I try to keep healthy food around that I can eat without trying to prepare anything.
One of my favorites is buying organic carrots, broccoli and cherry tomatoes. I make homemade hummus at the beginning of the week and chop up the veggies. I keep the veggies in plastic baggies in the fridge. That way at any point I can pull out the veggies and hummus and have a nutritious snack. It is so yummy too.
I also keep things like raisins and nuts in the cubboards, fresh fruit in the fridge, homemade posicles in the freezer, the makings for peanut butter and jelly, soy yoghurt....any of these things are easy and healthy.
I also like to have cooked beans available in the fridge so I can quickly make some rice or pasta and toss in the beans and maybe some cut up tomatos. SO yummy.

Good luck!

Joyful mama of 3.
#4 of 6 Old 03-31-2007, 03:17 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the ideas ladies!!!
#5 of 6 Old 03-31-2007, 03:46 PM

I 2nd having veggies all washed a ready to eat, also raw nuts to snack on all day.
For meals the simpliest I can think of is tofu stir fry with frozen veggies. It's fast, easy and you can experiment with different sauces.
#6 of 6 Old 04-13-2007, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
The Earthling's Cookbook
A lot of these recipes reheat well, so you can make a big batch when you have time and heat up later. Burritos and Red & Green Pockets are particularly good for this.

I recently made a giant vat of the Herby Rice substituting dry lentils for half the rice. I cooked the lentils in water and seasonings for 20 minutes before adding the rice and veggies. It turned out deliciously, and lentils are a lot more nutritious than rice. I also added a leaf of kombu seaweed torn into tiny pieces, and with all the herbs it's unnoticeable, but it's adding nutrients.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page