Anyone ever been to the Candle Cafe in NYC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 04-24-2007, 08:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was in NYC this weekend and I went to the candle cafe. I was interested because I actually have their cookbook and have made several yummy things out of it. Anyway, I loved it. Anyone else ever been there or used the cookbook? I am pleased.

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

I blog at www.saboss.blogspot.com chicken3.gif

#2 of 17 Old 04-24-2007, 08:55 PM

No, but when DH and I were in NYC we found two awesome vega*n restaurants. Blossoms and Teanys. I love NYC because there seemed to be so many options there for vegans.
#3 of 17 Old 04-25-2007, 11:46 AM

I love Candle Cafe! It is my favorite restaurant in NYC. I've been eating there for about 10 years. I recently moved away from NYC -- and now I only get to the city a few times a year ... I always make sure to go there.

Regarding the cookbook .. I do NOT have it, but I read some very critical reviews of it ... supposedly there are many errors in it.
#4 of 17 Old 04-26-2007, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoloveshiscats View Post
Regarding the cookbook .. I do NOT have it, but I read some very critical reviews of it ... supposedly there are many errors in it.
Really...hmmm. I have never found any of these errors.

Living the Joyful life as a mama of three beautiful children who are just right the way they are.

#5 of 17 Old 04-27-2007, 11:45 AM

Here is a link to the reviews of the cookbook on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cus...283155&s=books

At least a few reviewers had the same general comment about reciepes not working ...

I am still tempted to get the cookbook .... Paradise Casserole (at the restaurant) is probably my all time favorite dish!
#6 of 17 Old 04-28-2007, 09:20 PM

NYC is the only city where my husband (an omni) and I can both walk into a restaurant and both walk out happy. However, I think that even now, after spending months eating more like me, he would be hesitant in going to a veg*n restaurant. Eh. Where is Candle Cafe? W're going to NYC again in May and he's spending one evening at a baseball game. Personally, I think modern professional sports are disgusting and did not want to go. Plus we always talked about spending one afternoon or something in NYC doing our own-- Something that the other would have absolutely no interest in doing. He's going to a Mets game. I loathe professional sports, so I'm not going. (Yet, I'm going to a Yankees game and a Red Sox game in August. We're going with his brother and father, and since they're both of poor health [BIL has cancer; FIL just hasn't taken good care of himself], Andy asked me to go along to help. Though I don't know how much help I'll be, being eight to almost nine months pregnant...)

Anyway, I've heard of Candle Cafe and I would like to try it.

Thank you.
#7 of 17 Old 04-28-2007, 10:13 PM

yum! although we actually dropped half a paycheck and ate at candle79 because we hadn't eaten out in years since becoming organic and vegan. We figured it was okay because of accumulation
so, so good
I have the cookbook too and it's pretty good, but not the best. I can easily modify most recipes to my liking though.
#8 of 17 Old 04-29-2007, 06:51 AM

I think I had Thanksgiving dinner there one year. It was very good. I like the restaurant, but it wasn't one of my NYC favs. It was too "uptown" for me, to pricey and too far out of my usual hood. But the food was good when I did go.
#9 of 17 Old 05-01-2007, 05:14 PM

Well, if the Cafe' is pricey, too, then maybe I won't go. There was a veg restaurant not far from our hotel, Hotel Madison. (Madison Hotel? It's on Madison Ave., close to the Museum of Sex and I think on the same block or a block from the Gershwin Hotel. We've stayed there a few times.) I don't know what the T street is at the end of Madison, but it's on there somewhere, not too far from the intersection. The prices seemed reasonable. I got their version of sorbet (in December, no less) and it was yummy.

I'll find something.
#10 of 17 Old 05-01-2007, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down_to_Earth View Post
Well, if the Cafe' is pricey, too, then maybe I won't go.
It was definitely not pricey. It was average priced and very worth it. Trust me-we are dirt poor and we went.

#11 of 17 Old 05-01-2007, 06:56 PM

I had an awesome grilled tofu/tempeh sandwich from there. It was divine and I can't wait to go back. I also have the cookbook and no, some of the recipes don't work but the ones that do are great. I just finished making some macaroons from the book and with a little tweaking, they are a real winner.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#12 of 17 Old 05-02-2007, 12:28 AM

Mmmm... I LOVE the Candle Cafe and every time I go to NY I always go there, just to have the Paradise Casserole- It's amazing!

dd1 4/7/05 dd2 8/22/07 and b/g twins born 5/23/10
#13 of 17 Old 05-02-2007, 11:33 AM

I went to their other place, Candle 79. AWESOME!!!! I went with my non-veg dad and we loved it. I want to take my DP (uber veg) sometime.
I got their seitan picatta and other stuff too (it's been over a year- I'm not a huge NYC fan)....it was great.
#14 of 17 Old 05-02-2007, 09:30 PM

Heya,
Just to clarify, two different restaurants are being talked about in this thread.
Candle Cafe (3rd Ave @ 75th St) is the lower priced one.
Candle 79 (79th near Lex) is a bit fancier.

Mama to A (08/10) & E (03/13).
#15 of 17 Old 05-02-2007, 11:35 PM

Another huge for the Candle Cafe. Yes, seriously, the food is reasonably priced, the fare is often seasonal and mostly organic and their tempeh peanut-ey dish (I forget now what it's called) as well as their seitan is to die for! I find the space is a bit cramped and small-ish for my wriggly kiddos, but it's so worth it. I love, love the desserts too - ds (anaphylactically allergic to dairy and eggs) can eat there safely and is also a huge fan!
#16 of 17 Old 05-03-2007, 12:03 AM

i loooove candle cafe. :

(although i've always been partial to angelica's kitchen, but mostly because i used to hang out downtown more often...)

OH, threads like this make me miss nyc (now that i live in san diego which is comparatively a culinary wasteland )
#17 of 17 Old 05-07-2007, 05:36 PM

Hurray for Candle Cafe! I also have the cookbook and have used it quite often. Candle Cafe is another fine example at how diverse the vegan/vegetarian cuisine can be! Wonderful entrees and good choice of organic wines. Some of my other NYC favorites are Kate's Joint, Zen Palate, Vegetarian Paradise, Bamboo Cafe....just to name a few.

"Lawyers, I suppose, were children once." Charles Lamb.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page